Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Before mobile phones.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I remember listening to BBC Radio Brighton when we played away games and the 15 minute updates as there was no live whole match commentary.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
On the very few occasions when I've been out on Sat afternoon and need to know the score then I still do peer in shop windows, Doesn't everyone?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
!975 South Africa. Used to have to go out to the car to get the results on the very faint BBC World service. That's all there was.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I remember listening to BBC Radio Brighton when we played away games and the 15 minute updates as there was no live whole match commentary.

Me too. had to endure some awfully dreary programme (Whispering Bob harris, I think, for some of the time) and every so often Radio brighton would but in with a report but the amount & lenght was regulated.

The best game I ever 'listened to' in this fashion was away at Shresbury. At half time the reporter said neither team could score in a month of Sundays...

.....next report and Albion were winning 4-1....

...next report and it was 4-3 so quite a sweat to the full time report and we had won 5-3 away. Quite a game.

D

Deleted User X18H

Yes indeed I have, but I would also have been stopping at payphones to check on progress via the Seagull Line.
You've called The Seagull line on Brighton 8049 that's the number for Albion information every day 24 hours a day.

Bless Tony Millard he's seventy you know!!

D

Deleted User X18H

Who remembers Neil Coppendale? Me and my Dad were interviewed by him walking up Wembley Way in 1983 I would love to hear Radio Brighton's OB of that day.

I recall he introduced us to most of Neil Smillies family.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Me too. had to endure some awfully dreary programme (Whispering Bob harris, I think, for some of the time) and every so often Radio brighton would but in with a report but the amount & lenght was regulated.

The best game I ever 'listened to' in this fashion was away at Shresbury. At half time the reporter said neither team could score in a month of Sundays...

.....next report and Albion were winning 4-1....

...next report and it was 4-3 so quite a sweat to the full time report and we had won 5-3 away. Quite a game.
Sometimes the midweek away matches were part of a sports evening on Radio Brighton when the studio guest would whitter on about the state of cricket in Sussex whilst we waited for the update via a crackly and faint (landline) phone connection.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Who remembers Neil Coppendale? Me and my Dad were interviewed by him walking up Wembley Way in 1983 I would love to hear Radio Brighton's OB of that day.

I recall he introduced us to most of Neil Smillies family.

Yep, Coppendale, Brackley, Lynham all good stuff.

Nice to see yer back Mr HB&B.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here