Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Been to Wales?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thanks for the suggestions, Mrs Egg has come up with going up Mount Snowdon on a train.
I have 'stated', quite boldly I may add, that I AM going to Cearnarvon Castle, looks about a 3 hour drive but it is a serious Title Contender in the Castle Premier League.

be impressed if you can do it in 3 hours. Carnofon is good, as are Harlech and Beaumaris. f*** the railway, get your walking boots out.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks for the suggestions, Mrs Egg has come up with going up Mount Snowdon on a train.
I have 'stated', quite boldly I may add, that I AM going to Cearnarvon Castle, looks about a 3 hour drive but it is a serious Title Contender in the Castle Premier League.

Ah...if you going that far,. you can see some serious scenery. Caernarfon is a top-notch castle, there are some good beaches on the Lleyn peninsula (I'm quite fond of Criccieth as a place to visit and you can see Lloyd George's house in Llanystumdwy. You can take in Snowdon and the railway (there are actually several railways round there). You're also not too far from Port Meirion, the Prisoner village, which is a real experience.

A bit further south are Barmouth, which has cropped up on NSC before as a real old-fashioned type of resort and Machynlleth, where the Alternative Energy Centre is well worth a visit (more interesting than it sounds) and for history fans, it's where Owain Glyndwr established his Welsh parliament.

There are some fantastic walks around the whole area - you won't be short of places to see.

And ignore what Vegster says, the Welsh are very pleased to see English visitors - it's a country that relies very heavily on tourism so why should they want to dry up one of their main sources of income?

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
As LB says you're barely in the country, but Presteigne is quite picturesque if a little dull. Elan Valley is good for outdoor pursuits. It's at least an hours drive to the coast, and nearer 2 hrs to the nearest castle in the north although Caerphilly is closer. If you're here at the end of August Llanwrtyd Wells hosts the World Bog Snorkelling Championships. Over the border, Hereford is not too far away and Bishop's Castle is always entertaining with 2 breweries at opposite ends of the hill. Avoid Llandrindod Wells at all costs.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Head for the Ceredigion coast. Great beaches at Aberporth, LLangrannog, and New Quay.

Don't forget Borth/Ynyslas!

The alternative energy centre at Machynlleth is dull as feck (in my opinion!). Aberystwyth is probably worth a shout as a seaside day out, but then I would say that wouldn't I? If you are driving from Powys up to Caenarfon, then I'd maybe suggest stopping off in Betws-y-Coed en route.

If it's just scenery and castles your after then stay in North Wales. If you want a bit of everything, my advice is to head South.

Cardiff, although it has a terrible football team, is well worth a visit. Cardiff Bay area being the highlight (there's even Caerphilly Castle and Cardiff Castle near, which are just as good as anything North)

Further West you have the Gower Peninsular which was Britain's first 'Area of Natural Beauty' with an abundance of blue flag (or is it green?) beaches.

Further West again, you have the Pembrokeshire area with Tenby, Oakwood Park, Coastal path etc...

If the weather is decent you'll have a great time.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Can't wait!

Did go to Wales nigh on 2 years ago with a few mates on a short Biking Holiday but unfortunately it was cut short by me having a head on collision.
Hence my legs are a bit shagged now but I was very impressed by what I remember of the countryside and genuinely impressed with how friendly everyone was, especially the nurses at Morristons and Aberystwyth (So different to the way things were conducted in Worthing).
Then we were based in Brecon which I tried to get again this time but everywhere was booked so we ended up opting for Presteigne.
Really looking forward to it now..fingers crossed for the weather.

Hiring a people carrier so Driving won't be a drag as it's something new and not mine to worry about.

Roll on Wales!

sashnash

Seagull in East London
Feb 26, 2009
The Gower peninsula by Swansea is nice if you get a chance. Lots of nice beaches in the area, two of the best are...

Three Cliffs Bay
gower3.jpg

Rhossili Bay
2354674.jpg

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I can't recommend visiting BIG PIT highly enough, it's absolutely brilliant.

It's a real old coal mine that closed in the 1980s; they've left it very little changed from when it was operational and the excellent guides are some of the miners that used to work there.

They kit you out with the full hard hat with a lamp on the front, something which I initially thought was for show until I clonked my head damned hard on one of the shaft supports whilst I was stooped over to walk around down there. At one point they get you to turn your lamp off - you'll never have seen dark like it.

Unforgettable stuff and completely free to get in too.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Head up to Welshpool and take a trip on the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway - make sure you stop for tea at Llanfair Caereinion station - the home-made cakes are delicious!!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I endorse many of the ideas put forward,but a word of warning if you are driving in North Wales though.Be very careful of extremely sneaky speed cameras....Richard Brunstrom is the Chief Constable and the Mad Mullah of the Traffic Taliban.Haven't personally been caught,but plenty have;they have even been known to hide cameras in horse boxes!!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
And ignore what Vegster says, the Welsh are very pleased to see English visitors - it's a country that relies very heavily on tourism so why should they want to dry up one of their main sources of income?

Its a great country and most of the natives are very welcoming(I have just been unlucky with my neighbours) the scenery is just fantastic and walking or cycling is the way to go ....just near me they have an old railway line thats been turned into a cylcle track...Oh and by the way if you are coming soon bring your macs with you .and as I say that the sun comes out
have a good week

Looking forward to heading off to Anglesey tomorrow with the family for a week of walking, golfing and chilling.....

Just a shame will be away for the Brentford and Stockport games not to mention being stuck on the M6 while the Twenty20 is going on - don't think the wife would be too keen on a spot of cricket on the way :dunce:

Looking forward to heading off to Anglesey tomorrow with the family for a week of walking, golfing and chilling.....

Just a shame will be away for the Brentford and Stockport games not to mention being stuck on the M6 while the Twenty20 is going on - don't think the wife would be too keen on a spot of cricket on the way :dunce:

Ahhh, my neck of the woods.
If you've not been before, go to Parys Mountain...
parys2.jpg

Beaumaris Castle
Beaumaris-Castle.jpg

Newborough Beach
2414793998_86e2f37233_o.jpg

EDIT: Soz, that's quite a big photo actually isn't it!

And if the kids want to be close enough to flying fighter jets to be able to see the moustaches on the pilots, park up in this little lane (best time is the afternoon), find a sand-dune to sit on and be amazed...(earplugs might be a good idea!)...
http://tiny.cc/ttJQh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here