Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Beekeeping...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Any beekeepers on NSC who would care to share advice with a newbie?

My children gave me a hive for a significant birthday recently... and subsequently I have acquired more equipment from someone on FB marketplace who was selling up. I only went to get a couple of supers and some frames - and after several visits and chats, they decided to give me all of their equipment, which was both nice and a bit of PITA! So now I have many Langstroth deep brood boxes, small supers and loads of assorted frames / crownboards / QEs etc... enough to make up 4 hives.

I bought a nuc of bees at an auction a couple of months ago, and they are installed in one of the hives. They have filled out the brood chamber very well, so I added a small super, but they don't show signs of building any comb out or storing any honey - I understand it has been pretty shocking weather and we are now in a seasonal lull - so I very happy to be patient!

The issue I have is that the nuc frames were for a National hive - so I had to 'adapt' them by attaching them to Langstroth top bars. It is a bit messy because the bees keep building random comb in the gaps at the sides... so I would like to swap them out.

The internet is just so full of beekeeping forums / articles / blogs / Youtubes etc... and everyone has a different opinion!

I am wondering about a second brood chamber with some used comb and some new frames - and gradually moving the bastard frames up there to allow the brood to hatch and hopefully by moving them to the edge they will gradually become less used and can be safely removed Does this sound like a reasonable, if rather slow, plan?

I am then thinking this might lead to being able to do a split (probably with a new bought mated queen) - but slightly concerned how late I can do this - would it be Ok in July some time, or is that too late?

I did also wonder about using one or more of the spare hives as a swarm trap - can't do any harm, can it??

I have tried the local beekeeping association but not found it very helpful - I will resist being rude about them because who knows who is on NSC!!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's rare I read a post on NSC where I understand only about one word in every four, but you've managed it.

In true NSC tradition I therefore respond as follows:

"Does this sound like a reasonable, if rather slow, plan?" For a beginner, you show great wisdom and knowledge. That's exactly what you should do.

"would it be Ok in July some time, or is that too late?" July is late, but not too late. August is too late though.

"can't do any harm, can it??" Oh dear. Yes, yes it can do immense harm. And almost certainly will.

Hope that helps.

*Disclaimer: I have no f***ing clue what I'm talking about.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Plumpton College run a beginners beekeeping course - I did the first part of it a couple of years ago which was the foundation for the more practical elements, then Mrs Exile decided she didn't want me having a hive in the garden after all unfortunately. I'd very much recommend the course though. There's nothing like a day spent with an expert and I imagine once it gets practical it'll be like a fast-track to getting up and running. I suspect it also plugs you into a network for local advice and obtaining the queens cheaper/easier than online, people who'll help with swarms and so on.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

My children gave me a hive for a significant birthday recently... and subsequently I have acquired more equipment from someone on FB marketplace who was selling up. I only went to get a couple of supers and some frames - and after several visits and chats, they decided to give me all of their equipment, which was both nice and a bit of PITA! So now I have many Langstroth deep brood boxes, small supers and loads of assorted frames / crownboards / QEs etc... enough to make up 4 hives.

I bought a nuc of bees at an auction a couple of months ago, and they are installed in one of the hives. They have filled out the brood chamber very well, so I added a small super, but they don't show signs of building any comb out or storing any honey - I understand it has been pretty shocking weather and we are now in a seasonal lull - so I very happy to be patient!

The issue I have is that the nuc frames were for a National hive - so I had to 'adapt' them by attaching them to Langstroth top bars. It is a bit messy because the bees keep building random comb in the gaps at the sides... so I would like to swap them out.

The internet is just so full of beekeeping forums / articles / blogs / Youtubes etc... and everyone has a different opinion!

I am wondering about a second brood chamber with some used comb and some new frames - and gradually moving the bastard frames up there to allow the brood to hatch and hopefully by moving them to the edge they will gradually become less used and can be safely removed Does this sound like a reasonable, if rather slow, plan?

I am then thinking this might lead to being able to do a split (probably with a new bought mated queen) - but slightly concerned how late I can do this - would it be Ok in July some time, or is that too late?

I did also wonder about using one or more of the spare hives as a swarm trap - can't do any harm, can it??

I have tried the local beekeeping association but not found it very helpful - I will resist being rude about them because who knows who is on NSC!!
Probably a bit late for you but I did consider doing beekeeping in the garden - until I was advised that sometimes you need to move the hives to a couple of miles away from where you originally put them - something I can't do as I don't have a 1000 acre farm !

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
At my work they keep bees on the roof of our downtown office. Sadly I'm not really part of the bee keeping clique. They do seem to end up having to replace the bees ever year because the little buggers keep dying out. But our winters are brutal.

Here's a recent picture from our #bees slack channel:

IMG_20240522_093730409.jpg

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Plumpton College run a beginners beekeeping course - I did the first part of it a couple of years ago which was the foundation for the more practical elements, then Mrs Exile decided she didn't want me having a hive in the garden after all unfortunately. I'd very much recommend the course though. There's nothing like a day spent with an expert and I imagine once it gets practical it'll be like a fast-track to getting up and running. I suspect it also plugs you into a network for local advice and obtaining the queens cheaper/easier than online, people who'll help with swarms and so on.

I have done a beginners course with the local Beekeeping Association, and it has definitely got me up and running - as has the rather accelerated way things have spiralled recently! I have spent hours/days watching Youtube and reading / discussing on forums, but would love to find an individual mentor person who wasn't a bit weird or overpowering to give me a bit more confidence in decision making etc...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's rare I read a post on NSC where I understand only about one word in every four, but you've managed it.

"Does this sound like a reasonable, if rather slow, plan?" For a beginner, you show great wisdom and knowledge. That's exactly what you should do.

"would it be Ok in July some time, or is that too late?" July is late, but not too late. August is too late though.

"can't do any harm, can it??" Oh dear. Yes, yes it can do immense harm. And almost certainly will.

Hope that helps.

Me too! :lolol:

I was going to suggest taking out the Langstroth top bars and replacing them with Anderson points, taking care not crush the queen with the jiving treaddle. Failing that talk to Jason Statham, I think he made a film about it.

But like you I haven't got a f***ing clue what I'm talking about!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In all seriousness @Titanic, although as you can tell I have zero knowledge, I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I didn't realise it was so complex; I thought all you needed was a wooden box to keep the bees in, a hat with a net and a little smoke puffer thing.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
In all seriousness @Titanic, although as you can tell I have zero knowledge, I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I didn't realise it was so complex; I thought all you needed was a wooden box to keep the bees in, a hat with a net and a little smoke puffer thing.

One thing that came as quite a surprise was the price of bees. A decent 5 frame nucleus (basically a starter set of bees and a queen for a new hive) costs £200-300.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
One thing that came as quite a surprise was the price of bees. A decent 5 frame nucleus (basically a starter set of bees and a queen for a new hive) costs £200-300.
It just shows how under-valued bees are, even by those in the know.

I could have offered you a swarm the other day, but they've now departed the yew tree. Be interetsing to read how you get on.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Hope that helps.

For some reason the OP put me in mind of the WILTY compilation featuring Bob Mortimer where he talks about jobbletops and the part of a tree known as “The Clooney”.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
The most important rule in bee keeping is not to let them get away.

Beyond that, I have no advice to give.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Mrs Zef will bee along in a minute, she's been pondering bees for ages . . . . Bizzarely you're not allowed to keep them on the allotment . . . Seems like a very good place to keep them!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Had crossed my mind to give this ago but after reading that no way ever. Didnt understand a word for something thought was fairly simple

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here