Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham to be part of Capello's team

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seems the FA have confirmed that Capello has invited Beckham to be part of his backroom team at the World Cup. Seems a good move to me bearing in mind the influence he has as well as the experience from 3 previous tournaments. No doubt the Beckham haters will be up in arms. Look out for comments from Marshy and BBC's Alan Green.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When the main argument for picking him in the playiong squad is that he brings experience and can help the players grow and develop and handle the new (for them) situation, bringing him in like that makes sense.

Thopugh today the sun has an article about a doctor who claims he could heal Beckham in time to play. David Beckham gets World Cup hope | The Sun |News

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wondered whether he might do something like this. Excellent move if true.

Beckham is a winner and well respected by his country, the media and his team mates. It all makes sense.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i've thought this was probably a better idae than inclusion in the squad in the first place. Im not sure if he will make a good coach, but would definatly like to see him try and help with the wingers delivery. he likes the media circus which might draw some attention away from the rest of the squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whilst I support this appointment I do wonder what the other 4 Italian assistants will be doing while Becks is working his magic.

And how much exactly will Goldenballs get paid to engage in 4 weeks of Playstation with Shaun Wright-Phillips, Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon?...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Also, Beckham can go round schmoozing all those w*nkers we have to get onside for the World Cup bid. That Jack Warner likes a lunch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"Agent Beckham, you Mission is simple enough. You have one month to locate, charm, then penetrate the following: Mrs Kaka, Mrs Ronaldinho, Mrs Torres and Mrs Fabregas. As for Ronaldo, you won't need lube. His fella's as greasy as he is."

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
When the main argument for picking him in the playiong squad is that he brings experience and can help the players grow and develop and handle the new (for them) situation, bringing him in like that makes sense.

Thopugh today the sun has an article about a doctor who claims he could heal Beckham in time to play. David Beckham gets World Cup hope | The Sun |News

That's not the main argument. He's still a top-class player who creates numerous chances with his crossing every single game he plays.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
"Agent Beckham, you Mission is simple enough. You have one month to locate, charm, then penetrate the following: Mrs Kaka, Mrs Ronaldinho, Mrs Torres and Mrs Fabregas. As for Ronaldo, you won't need lube. His fella's as greasy as he is."

Isn't that a mission for messrs Terry and Cole?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Yep your right Drew im not a massive fan of this idea....shock horror.

As someone else said the Media Circus that Beckham will inevitably bring is the issue, i dont think is the way to go personally. However Mr Capello may see it differently and be able to move a lot of that media stuff away from the players and onto Beckham.

depends how you look at it. But for me its a NO.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's going to be a nightmare.... every time England play I look for David ploughing his little furrow on the right wing up and down 10 yards either side of the half way line.

If he goes as a non player he will be handy for giving the players advice on Hairstyles, Shaving tips and how to make the most of photo/marketing opportunities.

stupendor

Feb 21, 2010
Also, Beckham can go round schmoozing all those w*nkers we have to get onside for the World Cup bid. That Jack Warner likes a lunch.

This is the real reason he'll go. He's hung on to a place in the England squad and made 10 minute cameos for the last few years because of FA influence to promote the bid. Never doubted his commitment to the England cause and struggle to see another England player putting in a Greece 2001 style performance but surely he has had his day as a player. I think its now about getting whatever mileage out of him we can.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it not better than the worlds media chase around after Beckham and allow Rooney to do what he does best and score goals to win us the cup., with out being chased and followed every minute of the day.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yes take Beckham, he is a god, but every great good looking bloke needs a chubby little friend, so SMITHY must go as well.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Yep, he's led the players as captain in the last 2 or 3 major tournaments and his leadership has enabled us to be absolutely mustard, almost unbeatable, when on the major stage.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yep, he's led the players as captain in the last 2 or 3 major tournaments and his leadership has enabled us to be absolutely mustard, almost unbeatable, when on the major stage.

2-3 players from the England team have came out to the media and said that Beckham helped them through a tough patch. (Theo Walcott quite recently I believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here