Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham gives up captaincy

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
:clap2:

RETIRE, please retire from International football.

We need Lennon playing!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Gritt23 said:
:clap2:

RETIRE, please retire from International football.

We need Lennon playing!

I agree with you on that.He should hang up his boots now

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Since when did we start appointing a formal captain and then resigning from it? Surely you just pick 11 players and take a captain from that. It's different in cricket because the captain plays a part in selecting the team, but in football that doesn't happen ...... or it shouldn't!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Might as well quit then really, he's only going to go downhill from here ... he's holding the team back at present, as his set-pieces don't compensate for what we lose out on from not having Lennon playing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he doesn't retire I hope Mclaren has the balls to not pick him. Bring on the future, bury the past.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Though we do have a team captain. Oatway being ours. He is the person who the team look to for inspiration and guidance.

Explains a lot in Beckhams case.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Hope i never see him in an England shirt again.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Possibly just a gentlemanly action to allow McClaren to select his own captain?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
John Terry surely captain?

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
f*** me, the guy is a quality player who has always given his best for England. To be honest I think its a f***ing disgrace the way people talk about him.:nono:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Wardywonderland said:
Though we do have a team captain. Oatway being ours. He is the person who the team look to for inspiration and guidance.

Explains a lot in Beckhams case.

Very different at club level though because you are under contract to that club so that player is at least going to be in the squad even if he drops from the team.

But in International Football players come and go according to form and fitness, or at least they should.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
na, Stevie Gerrard for captain I think.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Gritt23 said:
Very different at club level though because you are under contract to that club so that player is at least going to be in the squad even if he drops from the team.

But in International Football players come and go according to form and fitness, or at least they should.

True

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Trigger said:
Only one choice for captain in my opinion... Gary Neville.

Time for him to quit as well, talks a good game but absolutely roasted by Ronaldo. Another paceless player, hope this was his swansong.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Les Biehn said:
f*** me, the guy is a quality player who has always given his best for England. To be honest I think its a f***ing disgrace the way people talk about him.:nono:

I think a lot of it comes down to the preferential treatment he's received under Sven. There have been times where his form and at times his fitness didn't warrant a place in the side, but he was clearly GUARANTEED a place. That breeds resentment, and I bet it exists in the squad as well.

In David's defence I don't think a guaranteed place helps the player. Look at how the careers of Los Galacticos have gone downhill. Guarantee a player his place and their game suffers in the long run.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Les Biehn said:

I f***ing agree lennon bla bla bla dont stop him from being a great player who will always be remberd and i think he also assited two three goal this tournement and we scored 6 so that aint bad ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here