100th Cap

• Yes

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Fence

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

I know that unlike the other players in the England squad, he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for three months - shouldn't THAT be enough on its own to rule him out of International football ?

Not sure what you're getting at here. Rooney and Gerrard have underperformed, absolutely no question. And I'd have no problem if Capello recognised that and didn't select them for the starting lineup (although obviously I'd be amazed if they were omitted from the squad). But they have at least been playing regularly week in, week out in a hugely competative league. How can Beckham possibly be selected on merit for next weeks game ? Based on what ? Something he did last year ? Something he did a couple of years ago ?

Beckhams selection would defy logic. Yes it panders to the glitzy side of things, the showman, the global icon being handed (not earning, being handed) his 100th cap. But in pure footballing terms, there is no reason why Beckham should take the place of someone else in Englands midfield next week.

So, which 'someone else'?
It's been pretty-much recognized that SWP is the right-sider for the job (it certainly isn't Hargreaves). We need Richards and SWP at the same time, to try to fulfill what Beckham does, and neither of those players can deliver a ball in the air, make pinpoint passes from distance, or take control of free-kicks.
Okay, so say we don't actually want to play that way any more, and a winger who can swing a ball into the middle at the worst place for keepers isn't required in the 'NEW England' (kinda takes away most of what Crouch does best, as well!).

So...erm.... play Micah Richards as a midfielder, keeping Campbell and Ferdinand at the back, SWP or Agbonlahor ahead of MR, and that's the right side taken care of.
Play Crouch? Maybe not. Rooney alongside/just in front of Gerrard in the middle, Carrick behind him. Left side, from Shorey, Barry, Ashley Young, Joe Cole.
GK; James.

Jenas, Crouch, Ledley King, Lampard, Ashton, Hargreaves, Green or Robinson possibles on the bench.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So, which 'someone else'?
It's been pretty-much recognized that SWP is the right-sider for the job (it certainly isn't Hargreaves). We need Richards and SWP at the same time, to try to fulfill what Beckham does, and neither of those players can deliver a ball in the air, make pinpoint passes from distance, or take control of free-kicks.
Okay, so say we don't actually want to play that way any more, and a winger who can swing a ball into the middle at the worst place for keepers isn't required in the 'NEW England' (kinda takes away most of what Crouch does best, as well!).

So...erm.... play Micah Richards as a midfielder, keeping Campbell and Ferdinand at the back, SWP or Agbonlahor ahead of MR, and that's the right side taken care of.
Play Crouch? Maybe not. Rooney alongside/just in front of Gerrard in the middle, Carrick behind him. Left side, from Shorey, Barry, Ashley Young, Joe Cole.
GK; James.

Jenas, Crouch, Ledley King, Lampard, Ashton, Hargreaves, Green or Robinson possibles on the bench.

Well, thats what we're paying Mr Capello £4.5m a year for to FIND OUT.
What the hell were we going to learn by playing Beckham there ?

Well, thats what we're paying Mr Capello £4.5m a year for to FIND OUT.
What the hell were we going to learn by playing Beckham there ?

I would hope that, for 4.5 mil a year, he will have his mind open to whoever is best for the team, and for the position. I'd also hope that, if Gerrard got picked up by Juventus for instance, and became a huge, wealthy international celebrity for standing out head and shoulders among other players, that he won't get dropped because of it.

Anyway, what the hell have we got to learn by playing ANY of the capped England players, anywhere?

"It is understood that Capello told the 32-year-old he wanted his players to be match-fit, and that naming Beckham in his squad to face Switzerland next week would be unfair on those who have been playing in matches week-in, week-out.

Beckham is very disappointed by the news, especially as he has been training with Arsenal during his holiday - Major League Soccer's close season - to get fit for Capello's first game in charge, the friendly against Switzerland at Wembley on Wednesday.

He has however been encouraged by his talk with Capello about the future.

In the phonecall, Capello told Beckham he was still part of his plans and that there was no reason why he will not pick him again as long as he is fit enough and playing well enough for the Los Angeles Galaxy."

Sensible enough reasoning, in my opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would hope that, for 4.5 mil a year, he will have his mind open to whoever is best for the team, and for the position. I'd also hope that, if Gerrard got picked up by Juventus for instance, and became a huge, wealthy international celebrity for standing out head and shoulders among other players, that he won't get dropped because of it.

Struth. He's been dropped because HE'S NOT BEEN PLAYING.
My fear was that (as per Sven) he WOULD be picked utterly regardless of form and/or fitness. Capello has thankfully bucked the trend and not bowed down to the sentimental nonsene to include him, and he deserves credit for that.

IF Beckham ever came back to Europe, got himself a club that plays in a PROPER League, and got back to the form he showed in his last few months at Real Madrid then of COURSE there'd be a strong case for including him in the England squad again. He is only 32 after all.

But until or unless that happens, he is to all intents and purposes FINISHED as an International footballer. He effectively decided that himself when he chased the mighty dollar to the other side of the pond. Capello has let him down gently I guess with the old "door is always open" line, but really, the logisitics of him jetting back and forth across the planet squeezing in games for club and country was shown to be an utter farce last season, and nothings changed.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here