Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beat the meat?

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
Been vegan for 10 years now, best thing I ever did....I was overweight and lost about 4 stone within a year. Felt healthier that I ever have been before, and never feel run down or anything like that. What I would say, is that you have to know how to cook!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If animals aren't meant to be eaten, why are they made out of meat? Although I love vegetables (except celery), I couldn't imagine a life without meat. A nice steak can't be beaten, except perhaps by a juicy pork chop or of course some nice fresh bacon. Each to their own I say.

We're made out of meat.....

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
My wife is a lifelong veggie but I'm not.

Can easily see the merits of the diet tho. Sometimes makes eating out a bit tough but otherwise go for it mate.

I've got plenty of good veggie recipes I cook for my wife and I if you want some. PM me.

Thanks a lot fella for kind words and offer, I might well do that.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I have been veggie for 30 years with no health downsides as far as I know. The veggie meat alternatives are so much better now than when I started (DIY burgers that were the consistency of dried dog shit and didn't taste much better).

What has always annoyed me is why I am expected to justify my veggie status to people when they discover it.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Why do you need to label yourself? Just eat what you want, the biggest pain when cooking for veggies is having to cook food separately because they generally don't want meat juices to touch their food. If you are not a veggie that doesn't eat meat but still fancy bacon sarnie now and again wheres the problem?

Hmmm all good points fella, but part of me hates the thought of animals being slaughtered so I could quite easily give it up on ethical grounds as well.
One thing I've never understood is why people love offal? It's f***ing disgusting stuff. Liver, kidney, Tongue? I mean come on, it looks and tastes vile . If your going to eat meat, have something decent. This isn't world war 2 rationing you know :)

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Hmmm all good points fella, but part of me hates the thought of animals being slaughtered so I could quite easily give it up on ethical grounds as well.
One thing I've never understood is why people love offal? It's f***ing disgusting stuff. Liver, kidney, Tongue? I mean come on, it looks and tastes vile . If your going to eat meat, have something decent. This isn't world war 2 rationing you know :)

Mala Mogodu (tripe) is just gorgeous. Lamb's kidneys are also ace. Sheep's Heart - mmmmmmmmmmm. Bring it on.
I bet you dont like Sushi either.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mala Mogodu (tripe) is just gorgeous. Lamb's kidneys are also ace. Sheep's Heart - mmmmmmmmmmm. Bring it on.
I bet you dont like Sushi either.

I love sushi and offal. Calves liver cooked rare with onions and bacon and a good thick gravy like sauce is the business. Devilled Lambs Kidneys are fantastic. Or combine both. Monkfish liver - mmmmmm.

Probably my favourite book is Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Meat book because I like its philosophical outlook on the whole thing. Basically there is a symbiotic relationship between man and farm beast and if everyone stopped eating meat the species would not be able to survive. However this means we need to keep our side of the bargain and treat the animals decently. When I buy meat to cook myself it's only outdoor reared / organic and preferably from a butcher. Obviously I'm not adverse to the odd kebab or burger or fried chicken so I don't stick to it all the time but in general I tend to eat good quality meat less often.

No problem with veggies though. In fact if people repeatedly questioned my diet on grounds of health and manliness I'm sure I'd end up punching one of them.

SwedishSonna

Aug 9, 2005
Newcastle upon Tyne
I've been practically veggie for the last 8 years or so but thats only because wor lass is by choice. Its just easier to eat what she's having rather than use more pots and pans to make 2 different dinners.

I'm just lazy.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
The options for a veggie these days are so much wider than the old days. As for others cooking for you just get a few veggie cookbooks. I especially recommend Indian. The variety is astonishing. Spices can enliven even what you'd think the most bland of vegetables.

Lush

Mods' Pet
If you aren't doing it for ethical reasons or health reasons, what's the problem with being primarily veggie with the occasional burger, bacon or sausage. After all, just because my fave pie at the Albion is a veggie pie, doesn't mean I can't eat meat.

This. I eat vegetarian food most of the time, and maybe the day will come when I physically can't face meat, but in the meantime if someone's cooked me a nice dinner, or I fancy a bacon sandwich/Amex Steak and Ale pie, I don't see the point in feeling guilty.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Rowley- eat vegetables for a while,plenty of them,salads & so forth,clean out the body for a few weeks,but don't go off the meat forever-that's just my opinion.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Mrs Fef and I went veggie 7-8 years ago. It was much easier than I thought, and veggie choices in the supermarket and in restaurants is increasing all the time.
Go for it!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have at times thought that I might - purely from a moral stand point - give up meat and then I smell bacon and I know............................... I never could.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I have been veggie for 30 years with no health downsides as far as I know. The veggie meat alternatives are so much better now than when I started (DIY burgers that were the consistency of dried dog shit and didn't taste much better).

What has always annoyed me is why I am expected to justify my veggie status to people when they discover it.

Maybe because a lot of veggies are preachy and clueless. There are some benefits for some people but it is not better than a meat diet. Going Veg can reduce the risk of bowl cancer but vegan increases the risk of colonic cancers.

Also issues become blurred, issues of animal welfare/humane farming are issues of welfare not animals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here