Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC4 Friday - WELLER

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
sounds like a great night to me...i caught Rick's drumstick at the gig in Chi (the venue) & gave it away to a drummer mate as im nice like that...shame none of those
last proper gigs were televised as would love to see them, apparantly there were cameras at the Wembley shows but never seen any dvd's ah well

Was at that Venue gig as well! Bruce Foxton as well from memory. Iv got that last Wembley gig on CD, much better quality than the Brighton one - cracking gig. PM me ur address & il do u a copy if you haven't got it. There's some really bad footage of the Brighton gig on you tube but you can barely work out who's playing!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
For the first 3 years (1983-85) Weller was absolutely prolific

The last years were good but under-rated I think. 'Cost of Loving' took a few by surprise but had some brilliant tracks on it - 'Fairy Tales' and 'Heavens Above' in particular. I LOVED 'Confessions of a Pop Group' but by then I think the 'We are the Mods' brigade had completely given up on him. Even 'Promised Land' was a good track. That said, having listened to 'Modernism: A New Decade', (just the once) I can see why Polydor lost it tbh.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
The last years were good but under-rated I think. 'Cost of Loving' took a few by surprise but had some brilliant tracks on it - 'Fairy Tales' and 'Heavens Above' in particular. I LOVED 'Confessions of a Pop Group' but by then I think the 'We are the Mods' brigade had completely given up on him. Even 'Promised Land' was a good track. That said, having listened to 'Modernism: A New Decade', (just the once) I can see why Polydor lost it tbh.

For me 'cost of loving' is the weakest album of his career, but Confessions is an excellent album, and changing of the guard is one of his best songs. I have a Japanese import of Modernism so I have heard it quite a lot. Although its now dated, it is not a bad album but neither, Weller or Dee C Lee have the vocals to suit that deep house sound.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009

For me 'cost of loving' is the weakest album of his career, but Confessions is an excellent album, and changing of the guard is one of his best songs. I have a Japanese import of Modernism so I have heard it quite a lot. Although its now dated, it is not a bad album but neither, Weller or Dee C Lee have the vocals to suit that deep house sound.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
How about 'Right To Go' from 'Cost of Loving' - Paul Weller does hip-hop!

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
How about 'Right To Go' from 'Cost of Loving' - Paul Weller does hip-hop!

hehe not his finest 3 minutes. He never attempted hip hop again, although at his last Brighton gig, a rapper, Devlin joined him on stage for the track Fast car, slow traffic. Rather wisely, Weller left the rapping to Devlin

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
hehe not his finest 3 minutes. He never attempted hip hop again, although at his last Brighton gig, a rapper, Devlin joined him on stage for the track Fast car, slow traffic. Rather wisely, Weller left the rapping to Devlin

I really thought Paul Weller was going to start breakdancing towards the end of this....

YouTube

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Was at that Venue gig as well! Bruce Foxton as well from memory. Iv got that last Wembley gig on CD, much better quality than the Brighton one - cracking gig. PM me ur address & il do u a copy if you haven't got it. There's some really bad footage of the Brighton gig on you tube but you can barely work out who's playing!

thanks i sent a pm

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House

Im glad that some people like that confessions record because it is a bit of an underrated classic, and I agree that changing of the guard is a great song.

TSC were caught up in a bit of a perfect storm at the end as the manchester thing was coming in, the mods had deserted them as TSCs version of what being a mod was didnt fit with the parka and jam shoes brigade and the group of people that should have been into them ie the lads that dressed well went to football etc were out raving. It had reached the end. Great he was able to come back and that Mick Talbot was always able to make a good living as a good musician with the likes of Galliano (who were a brilliant band especially live) and now Dexys.

I didnt know that the housey modernism L.P was available. I might have to look into that.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
check out an album by a french singer called atlantique from 1996, its produced by brendan lynch and the band is crispin the drummer from galliano, marco nelson from young disciples on bass, mick talbot on keys and steve cradock of ocs on guitar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here