Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
When, crucially, it was still on terrestrial telly.

I play, watch and enjoy cricket. I hope he wins but can see him being beat.

BBC hasn’t shown live cricket since 1999 though. The 2005 ashes was on channel 4 (and the last time it was ‘free’ to view), but it was also on Sky which was the point you were making is it not?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
BBC hasn’t shown live cricket since 1999 though. The 2005 ashes was on channel 4 (and the last time it was ‘free’ to view), but it was also on Sky which was the point you were making is it not?

Point being it was on C4 not hidden on sky which will do for Hamilton as well. The 2005 Ashes was a TV event - the last of it kind for cricket. Granted, the world cup final was on C4 but SPOTY has a completely different demographic voting from one which is put up on Sky sports. Everyone thought Joshua would clean up 2 years ago. He wasn't even top 3.

As I say. I hope Stokes wins. He deserves it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Point being it was on C4 not hidden on sky which will do for Hamilton as well. The 2005 Ashes was a TV event - the last of it kind for cricket. Granted, the world cup final was on C4 but SPOTY has a completely different demographic voting from one which is put up on Sky sports. Everyone thought Joshua would clean up 2 years ago. He wasn't even top 3.

I might change my following of your opinion now. BBC have the cricket next year.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I turned this on full of cynicism and prepared to find the whole thing a load of rubbish.

But I have to admit I have found the programme pretty uplifting and moving tonight. Doddie Weir, Dina Asher Smith's coach getting Coach of the Year and Gareth Thomas - all great moments.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham

It was an interesting theory.

Anyway, team of the year is the England Cricket team. Moment was England winning the World Cup. And SPOTY is rightly Ben Stokes. A reverse sweep for cricket, one could say!

Congratulations, fully deserved.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well done Ben Stokes, from hero to superhero !

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Congrats to Ben Stokes, well deserved.

Good to see the Beeb taking this around the country, hosted in Aberdeen I see.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just tuned in. Has Denis Law availed himself of the green room .

Looked more like he is just a bit too old for this sort of thing and a bit cruel to ask him. You know what it's like for old centre forwards who headed the ball a lot, although I wouldn't wish to cast aspersions.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Congrats to Ben Stokes, well deserved.

Good to see the Beeb taking this around the country, hosted in Aberdeen I see.

They thought the former great British tennis personality, now Scottish, might win it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It was an interesting theory.

Anyway, team of the year is the England Cricket team. Moment was England winning the World Cup. And SPOTY is rightly Ben Stokes. A reverse sweep for cricket, one could say!

Congratulations, fully deserved.
Indeed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is the first year I haven't watched it, and I also binned off Strictly Come Dancing too. I find the BBC's agenda all a bit too forced.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Looked more like he is just a bit too old for this sort of thing and a bit cruel to ask him. You know what it's like for old centre forwards who headed the ball a lot, although I wouldn't wish to cast aspersions.

I thought the opposite. I thought he looked in good nick for his age - he's 80 in a couple of months - the 219 slip was a good one though

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well deserved by Stokes he has single handedly produced the goods where others have been absent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here