Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Southern Counties - but WHICH counties?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Why oh why [ironic use of 'Points of View' intro] is the BBC SCR live webcast only ever the "Surrey and North East Hampshire" output? With no option to select Sussex output?

Hardly an academic question for us up here in the smoke, given the likelihood of NSC going down tomorrow and the club website being inundated. Still, there's always Five Live...

So, anyone know how to get BBC SCR Sussex on the web? Serious question, for a change. Oh, and... please curb any inclination to invoke Fixtures, and Kanchelskis...

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
It's such a crap reception where i am and in Crawley.But you can pick up Woking or Aldershot games clear as day:angry:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I get great SCR reception in er... Kent!

1066gull

I can get BBC London, Oxford, Scotland reception....

Ah......, the wonders of Internet!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Gilliver, back in the old days (well a few years ago) I used to be able to pick up Southern Counties on Medium Wave in Clapham.

This was achieved by placing a huge exterior TV aerial at a specific angle out on the flat roof outside my bedroom window.

It only worked with a very old stereo I had where the tape and CD had gone but the radio was capable of picking up Ukranian knitting stations and the like. It put GCHQs inferior equipment to shame.

I religiously unwound a cable round the flat, since with the reception being so bad I had to run the audio through a graphic equaliser on my pc to remove the hiss. However I loved the little set up, I felt like Tony Hancock.

This was fine for a few months but then a pirate radio station cranked itself into existence in Brixton, so Ian Hart was replaced by dub reggae.

When the pirate radio station was shut down and I was back in business.

Then they split the frequencies and all I could pick up was the horrible "regionalised" version of Southern Counties.

Gutted..... I did used to listen to SCR via that American world radio site (any remember that?), but that's dead now too.

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
I worked for SCR for 3 months in 1996, I was er.. a promotional presenter (basically I handed out leaflets on outside broadcasts and took abuse) this was in the days when they decided that they would have no music on the station. It was a masterstroke decision that meant that I had to fend of old biddys all day on the O B's moaning that they missed Max Bygraves and Sir Cliff, the ratings also plummeted.

I usually got there early in the morning to start setting up the OB unit then the technical guys and the presenter would then turn up. One day I think I was in the Sainsburys car park at Worthing no one turned up and I had to almost present the show by myself, thing is heavy metal probably would'nt of gone down too well with audience. It was'nt the first time they cocked up either the whole thing was put together with magnets and string, seems nothing has really changed!!!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
clapham_gull said:
Unfortunately that wonder doesn't stretch to the feed we want to listen to.

Which gets us back to where we started. Clapham and I realise that you can get SCR on broadcast radio up here, but it's the WRONG feed. And so is the internet feed. Presumably the Beeb have chosen Surrey/NE Hants as the primary SCR service - and the only feed they air as a web broadcast. Why is beyond comprehension, as Brighton & Hove somewhat overshadows Woking and Guildford, and the London area is in any case overstuffed with broadcast local radio options.

I raised this ages ago with BBC SCR, but with no response. So tomorrow, with the Club site and NSC down, we London-dwellers will be left scrabbling frantically for something, anything... via Southern FM on the web - or TalkSport or BBC Five Live. I'm so desperate, I even signed up for the Argus text servce!

Thanks for your views, guys, but I fear it's a dead duck - for now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Got no problems with SCR. They broadcast every Albion game and you'd have to be churlish to find fault there.

BBC Regional TV's another matter completely. I know everything that happens in The New Forest, tho it's a pretty safe bet I'll never ever go there. Only time I've ever got a BBC regional news broadcast with a healthy coverage of Brighton affairs was a) when I had a contract in Slough and b) when I went round me mums in Kent.

Still, could be worse, eh? Could be the poor BBC licence-payer who gets the news from Slough... :D

Last edited:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Tom Hark said:
Got no problems with SCR. They broadcast every Albion game and you'd have to be churlish to find fault there.

Sorry Tom, but with respect you're missing the original point. Even if you're in Brighton, the only INTERNET feed you'll get is the Surrey/NE Hants one. And when you're in London or beyond, the only way you can get any SCR is via the web. And then it's that same, useless, Kingstonian & Woking-laden , Surrey/ NE Hants 'service' or nothing.

I have Seagulls World, so can pick up the excellent Andrew Hawes matchday commentaries. But there's no way of getting any Albion or Sussex-related news from BBC SCR on the web. Okay?

Tom Hark said:
BBC Regional TV's another matter completely. I know everything that happens in The New Forest, tho it's a pretty safe bet I'll never ever go there. Only time I've ever got a BBC regional news broadcast with a healthy coverage of Brighton affairs was a) when I had a contract in Slough and b) when I went round me mums in Kent.
I too find this completely baffling.

Living in East Sussex, we get lots of BBC TV news about Brighton (and nothing about Southampton). It's on South East Today, broadcast from Tunbridge Wells.

What I don't understand is why Brighton gets South Today and not the output of the Tunbridge Wells studio.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Related and its been mentioned many times before but the BBC don't own the rights to the commentary and they are not allowed to broadcast the commentary beyong their local borders.

Its not the BBC fault for that but part of the agreement with the football league.

I can listen to Arsenal versus Chelsea on the world service in Cyprus but I can't listen to the Albion in London.

Also I tried to purchase a picture of the players celebrating after the game from Getty images. They can't sell it to me of course, they don't own the rights.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
I too find this completely baffling.

Living in East Sussex, we get lots of BBC TV news about Brighton (and nothing about Southampton). It's on South East Today, broadcast from Tunbridge Wells.

What I don't understand is why Brighton gets South Today and not the output of the Tunbridge Wells studio.

But all available now on Sky, but of course that doesn't solve the problem if you havent got Sky.

It is worth me posting a thread on how you tune your box to the regional channels - I've done it before. May be of use to dished up ex-pats. Meridian available etc...

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
There's only a "split" on SCR at breakfast time. So log on after 9 and you'll pick up what's going out in Brighton.

Yep, that's the way it works.

The Brighton studios don't host any of the SCR website, and therefore, audio feed - that's all elsewhere.

Though I'll double check with the techie boys on Saturday and they'll slap me down if I'm wrong :)

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Comedy Steve said:
Yep, that's the way it works.

The Brighton studios don't host any of the SCR website, and therefore, audio feed - that's all elsewhere.

Though I'll double check with the techie boys on Saturday and they'll slap me down if I'm wrong :)
Thanks for the offer, Stephen! I'm not talking about the matchday commentary - I know that's off-limits and, as I said, I already get that from the excellent Seagulls World.

No, I'm talking about just tyring to hear what people in Brighton (as opposed to Guildford) hear as their 'local' radio news and sports bulletins. Not possible on the web, because they can only transmit one of the two possible feeds. It's set permanently to the Guildford one. And that's what I'm pissed off with!

To test it out, I shall tune in on the web for tomorrow's bulletins. Of course, even the Guidlford feed might carry the Falmer story. Unless, that is, Woking have signed some promising work-experience trainee from Albania...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here