Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Regions on Sky Box

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Anyone know if it is possible to reprogram the channel numbers for BBC regions? BBC1 on channel 101 gives me BBC South East so local news is all about bloody Kent. I want to try and change it so I get BBC South (channel 984) on 101

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Ah we have the same problem - have to go to 984 to get to local stuff....

Sorry don't know how to fix it though...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And the same issue here as well, I have no interest in what happens in Kent at all.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Sorry to say you cannot alter your Sky Channel 101 news. It's decided by your postcode and which region that relates to as decided by BBC/ITV. So it's 984 for BBC South if you are allocated to the South East region.

For Meridian from Southampton you have to use the add channels facility, via "Services" "System Setup" "Add Channels" then you need to input these details: Frequency 10891/Polarisation: H/SymbolRate: 22/FEC: 5/6.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
At least BBC South East get out and about in East Sussex from time to time. BBC South aren't in the slightest bit interested in this neck of the woods.

That is because East Sussex is no longer part of BBC South's editorial area. BBC South and BBC South East do sometimes share coverage of news on the border particulary Brighton events.

One reason for this is the area covered by the transmitters. The coverage does not follow county boundaries. The main East Sussex transmitter at Heathfield send it's signal into parts of West Sussex and Kent. In addition Sussex as a whole misses out because neither the BBC or Itv have ever based a regional centre in the county, with Brighton being the obvious centre. They have always gone for centres in Hampshire and Kent. In part that was because originally the main transmitters were only in those 2 counties.

The nearest we have to county coverage is with local radio but the BBC Sussex station has to share part of it's output with Surrey and North East Hampshire. Why the broadcasting mandarins have consistently felt that Sussex is not a viable county for exclusive coverage is a mystery to many, especially when counties with much smaller populations seem to justify their own centres.

I'll shut up now.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Ive seen both, having lived in Hove previously, and now over in Saltdean, and Id rather watch South East over South anytime.

Watching Kent is preferable to Dorset or Hampshire ( ie, basically west country) , and coverage of all things Brighton & Hove, and all things Albion is better on the South East version.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You think its bad we have to watch/listen to whats going on in Wales,which to start with was OK but we can't stand the comparisons always made with England and the English.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Anyone know if it is possible to reprogram the channel numbers for BBC regions? BBC1 on channel 101 gives me BBC South East so local news is all about bloody Kent. I want to try and change it so I get BBC South (channel 984) on 101

BBC South is full of news about Reading, Oxford, Weymouth, Southampton and Portsmouth. Every so often they remember that they have West Sussex in their region and will remember to report on something that happens over here.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la

channel 983 bbc south east on my sky box ch984 don't exist

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You think that's a problem? My parents live just outside Crowborough & their Channel 101 is BBC Scotland!!

They might have a refurbished box from over the border :lolol: If you dont have a Sky subscription and use the box to get the free channels it will default to the postcode setting where a subscription was last held.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
What gets on my wick is: at breakfast time on the local news, BBC South East always run a story about what's coming up on BBC Radio Kent....
"On the Jeremy Ratface show this morning - oooh, there he is now - he'll be talking to a Kent woman who set her eyebrows alight while lighting a ciggie from her gas cooker hob."

Who gives a toss? BBC South seem to be less guilty of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here