Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Olympic Coverage

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
First Class - 25 dedicated channels.

Extended coverage of all sports.

At last something worth paying a license fee for.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
BBC do great work throughout the year to justify the license fee. The Olympics coverage though is fantastic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The license fee is great value just for the radio coverage of footy.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Have found most the commentators pretty rubbish if I'm honest. No real insight into the sports, just say what you see stuff. Must be difficult with the massive amount of events they need to cover though.

The cycling was pretty bad, I appreciate the visual problems were not the BBC's fault and that didn't help, but the main commontator was clueless with Chris Boardman the only one saying anything of use, or correct for that matter!

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
To be fair to the cycling commentators they have to rely on the computer timing information when the field is so spread out. This information was not available which makes it pretty hard to commentate for 5 hours. The information is not in the BBC's control.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
To be fair to the cycling commentators they have to rely on the computer timing information when the field is so spread out. This information was not available which makes it pretty hard to commentate for 5 hours. The information is not in the BBC's control.

True, but the main guy, Hugh something, was hopeless at even identifying the riders "Oh look even Cavendish has taken up the lead!", Boardman "No that's Wiggins". He was almost having a panic attack when the very first breakaway got a 2 minute lead. Just seemed like he had no cycling experience/knowledge despite being a former cyclist himself I think. Boardman held it together for him.

So only 25 channels for those who have Sky or Virgin. Yeah, great use of my license fee.

You can watch them online...

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
So only 25 channels for those who have Sky or Virgin. Yeah, great use of my license fee.

Freesat has 25 extra channels and bbc1 red button has multi choice olympic events.

Unfortunately I think freeview only has limited extra channels.

The important point for me here is that followers of less popular sports get the chance to see games in full - not just 20 seconds of highlights in the news if we happen to do well.

And yes the road race commentary was crap but at least cycling fans could follow the race in full.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The cycling commentary was extremely poor, even with the lack of information they recieved, they should be professionals and they couldn't even tell the British cyclists apart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here