Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] BBC List of Wages

SAC

May 21, 2014
£1.35 million seems excessive but a lot less than many Premier League players who seemingly do a lot less for their pay. If it's the going rate, or below the going rate then what is the alternative? Perhaps we can employ more ex WSL players, who are used to being paid substantially less?

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
500k fewer households paying the license fee. I wonder how they spend their extra 46p a day?
Yes, I am still a licence payer or this antiqued broadcaster, I intend to put my extra 46p a day in my pension pot, as labour will will be after the pensioners. If I don't do that spend it on a stick of Twix a day, as better value than the beeb imo. Yum

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Employees can claim expenses which are wholly, exclusively, and necessarily for the purposes of their employment. Self-employed people and companies can claim expenses which are wholly and exclusively for the purposes of their work. "Necessarily" is the difference.

It means a self-employed person can claim for a new computer, new TV, etc if they use it for their work. They can claim their accountants' fees and tax advice. They get motor expenses allowed against tax. If they are feeling aggressive, they can claim a foreign trip is a fact finding mission and claim that. If they are working away, they can take their husband or wife with them and still claim half the cost of the hotel room. They can employ people - whether it is real world jobs (secretary, bookkeeper, etc) or bogus jobs (wife's or child's wage) and get that deducted from taxable income. There's all sorts of dodges.

Of course, they lose out in other ways - sick pay and company pension rights, for example. A lot of the problem with the BBC cases rumbling on is because it was the BBC forcing its employees to go down this route, because it saves them National Insurance payments at 13+%.
Thanks, mate. I have a bit of experience of what can legitimately be claimed when running a business. Some of what you've listed is claimable by an employee - mileage costs using own car, for example. A lot of the other stuff is tax evasion, albeit with an attempt at plausible deniability.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
It’s not about the salaries per se, not having the choice under law, not to pay it. If you don’t pay, you could go to prison. We should be getting value if we are forced to pay, to make sure we are getting value for the service we pay for.
I don’t watch BBC television at all. TMS; love it and Jonny/Warren on radio Sussex, love it.
I voluntarily pay for sky, Netflix,etc. i don’t care how much the presenters get paid, as it’s my choice to pay.
There has to be a model where we can choose our chosen value and get the services we want and enjoy and move away from the bloated, all or nothing behemoth that is the BBC one size fits all payment model.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Thanks, mate. I have a bit of experience of what can legitimately be claimed when running a business. Some of what you've listed is claimable by an employee - mileage costs using own car, for example. A lot of the other stuff is tax evasion, albeit with an attempt at plausible deniability.
Yes, but if you're self employed and drive a Lamborghini half for work reasons and half for private reasons, you get half the running costs allowed against tax. (You get half your chauffeur's wage, too, if you have one.) An employee gets 45p per mile.

Anyone willing to claim they are self-employed when they really aren't, isn't going to balk at a plausibly deniable bit of tax evasion. And while wife's and children's salaries may be tax evasion, paying them dividends is not - and there's a lot of tax to be saved by paying a child a £50k dividend if you're way up in high tax.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s not about the salaries per se, not having the choice under law, not to pay it. If you don’t pay, you could go to prison. We should be getting value if we are forced to pay, to make sure we are getting value for the service we pay for.
I don’t watch BBC television at all. TMS; love it and Jonny/Warren on radio Sussex, love it.
I voluntarily pay for sky, Netflix,etc. i don’t care how much the presenters get paid, as it’s my choice to pay.
There has to be a model where we can choose our chosen value and get the services we want and enjoy and move away from the bloated, all or nothing behemoth that is the BBC one size fits all payment model.
One of the biggest disappointments in my lifetime is the loss of sporting events from free-to-air broadcasting.

It feels like the 'choice to pay' has enriched the sports themselves, but at great expense to the watching public. It's all very well footballers earning 5 or 10m per year but it is the public with their Sky Sports subscriptions that are paying for that - if you are a football or cricket fan and you want to watch those sports on TV, what choice do you actually have?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Of course they do. Personally, I think the licence fee is too low. I would willingly sell my house and all its contents to help the BBC.
Agree it’s been eroded by inflation with local services in particular really suffering.

Need a triple lock for the Beeb

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Shocked to see Alex Scott only at number 43 on the list , should be in the top 10 on at least equal par with Alan Shearer

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Exactly.

Remember that REALLY stupid one who’d go into MELTDOWN every time Lineker posted a tweet?

Mouldy something, I think it was.
Wasn't he the one who was so thick he thought it very bad of the club to not give his daughter a free shirt on her 7th birthday despite him having never signed up for the scheme that provided the free shirt in the preceding seven years? The one whose position was 'I know I never signed up to the scheme, but I'm ENTITLED to the freebie anyway'? The one who could never resist taking the free shirt bait every single time a poster lobbed it in front of him?

Glad he's gone. There's thick, and then there's mouldy thick.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wasn't he the one who was so thick he thought it very bad of the club to not give his daughter a free shirt on her 7th birthday despite him having never signed up for the scheme that provided the free shirt in the preceding seven years? The one whose position was 'I know I never signed up to the scheme, but I'm ENTITLED to the freebie anyway'? The one who could never resist taking the free shirt bait every single time a poster lobbed it in front of him?

Glad he's gone. There's thick, and then there's mouldy thick.
The same one who when on the F1 thread had a mate who worked on the pit lane, or on an Albion thread had a mate on the coaching staff, or if posting on a wine thread had a mate who owned a vineyard. That one?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In other news on pay...

on the back of...

Labbard's pay isn't out of line at all with someone managing a business of that size (as explained in the article). Bet he works a bloody sight harder than Lineker :laugh:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Labbard's pay isn't out of line at all with someone managing a business of that size (as explained in the article). Bet he works a bloody sight harder than Lineker :laugh:
Managing a business of that size. The PM manages the country at £160k pa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here