Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bbc Get Premiership Tv Rights

IED

Jul 17, 2003
Reading
this will make des lynam look like a twat!!!

anyway ........ no more gabby.........boo hoo hoo

IED

Jul 17, 2003
Reading
yes , match of the day returns in 2004

IED

Jul 17, 2003
Reading
it returns in 2004

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Match of the Day will be back with two shows over the weekend
Premiership football will return to the BBC as part of the new television coverage deal unveiled on Friday.
Match of the Day will be revived with highlights programmes on both Saturday and Sunday for three years from the 2004/5 season.

Live games will continue to be shown on Sky, while ITV will lose its highlights package at the end of the forthcoming season.

Sky's satellite deal is worth £1.02bn, while the BBC paid £105m for its highlights contract.

BBC director of sport Peter Salmon said: "We are delighted to have won back the rights to the Premier League highlights on Saturday and Sunday night."

He added that the BBC did not bid for any live matches.

Viewers will have the best sport output from the BBC for a generation

Peter Salmon
BBC director of sport
History of Match of the Day
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said the BBC's rights deal was "good news" for TV viewers of football.

Salmon said: "Match of the Day is a much-loved, iconic brand and it is wonderful to return it to our screens.

"We have missed the highlights programme, and it feels like we are welcoming back an old and much loved friend.

"Since we lost the rights, licence fee payers have been asking us when they will be coming back, and we hope that football fans will be pleased that they have returned to the BBC."

Scudamore said he believed the new deal would meet with the approval of the European Union's competitions commission, which had expressed concerns about the selling of football TV rights.

The live games were split up into four separate packages, each of which were won by Sky, Scudamore said.

THE DEALS IN DETAIL
Live matches
Sky wins rights for all four packages of games on offer, and will show 138 games live
Total cost - £1.024bn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlights
BBC regains rights from ITV and will show evening highlights on Saturday and Sunday
Total cost - £105m
The most attractive of the four packages with the pick of the best games was sold for £358m, with the other three going for £282m, £230m and £154m.

"We believe the way we have packaged these rights and the size of these -packages has been absolutely in accordance with very pro-competitive needs," Scudamore said.

"They have been won individually, and therefore we believe they meet the commission's needs."

Salmon said 2004 would be "great for sports fans across the UK, with the FA Cup, Six Nations, Wimbledon, Euro 2004, the Olympics, and now the Premier League highlights all available on BBC.

"This gives viewers the best sport output from the BBC for a generation," he added

IED

Jul 17, 2003
Reading
cheers

POOOR GABBY!!!

IED

Jul 17, 2003
Reading
everyone always insults gabby

IED

Jul 17, 2003
Reading
i wonder if gabby will go to BBC ?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
thank god for that!

'the premiership' had to be the shitest show ever!

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Back of the net. :)

I always liked Match of the Day, but could never get into highlights on ITV. Does anybody remember all the cheap gimmicks ITV tried to start to make it appeal to a family audience when they first started doing highlights? Also other failed ideas such as half time interviews and the utterly useless tactics truck.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Football back on MOTD?

YES.

You know it makes sense!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Bloody good job too.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Fantastic I miss watching MOTD on a Saturday evening I know that makes me sound a sad git if I go out I tape it!!!! :lolol:

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
YES - no more of those stupid trailers with 'footballing characters' drinking Coca-Cola...

Welcome back, MOTD, even if we do have to wait a year for it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Excellent. I might stay up to watch now, MOTD is where footie should be.

No more "And more action after the break".

Pity we have to wait a year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here