Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC 6Music

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Disappointing if it goes. Surely listening figures do not account for the LARGE number of people like myself who listen to the podcasts as opposed to listening live?

6music have given us:

Adam and Joe
Russell Brand
Rhod Gilbert
Jon Richardson

Real shame if it goes, while some of the dreadful comedy on BBC Three continues to get commissioned.

Shut it down now!!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I would say it's like the best bits of Radio 1 from when I was a teenager l

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I'm glad BBC4 is not for the chop though. If both went it would be a tanktop-wearing revolution in West London that i'd stride corduroyishly with.

Neologism of the week.

(No previous uses, according to Google).

Thank you, MB

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Disappointing if it goes. Surely listening figures do not account for the LARGE number of people like myself who listen to the podcasts as opposed to listening live?

6music have given us:

Adam and Joe
Russell Brand
Rhod Gilbert
Jon Richardson

Real shame if it goes, while some of the dreadful comedy on BBC Three continues to get commissioned.

Russell Brand ?

The thing should be shut down NOW.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Anyone who has listened to 6 music will tell you that it's their favourite station. The only reason listening numbers are low is that it's digital/internet only
That and the fact that "listening figures" are actually just made up.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
As mentioned before the fact that it is DAB only is a major hindrance, because very few people can be bothered to buy into a format that is not as good as FM.

Put 6Music on FM and it'd be on a lot more often in my house!

:: RAJAR

The figures make fairly damning reading. Total market share of 0.4% for 6Music and 0.2% for Asian Network. Not sure why they don't get rid of 1Xtra as well (0.2%).

Having said that, Radio 3 only gets 1.1% of the market share, compared to 3.5% for Classic FM. Surely that's a good position of a Radio station providing little value-added above its commercial competitor?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
6 Music is home to Adam and Joe - reason enough for it to be saved.

Why not save our licence fee by getting rid of US TV imports and brainless gameshows like Hole in the Wall and Come Dancing?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

The figures make fairly damning reading. Total market share of 0.4% for 6Music and 0.2% for Asian Network. Not sure why they don't get rid of 1Xtra as well (0.2%).

Having said that, Radio 3 only gets 1.1% of the market share, compared to 3.5% for Classic FM. Surely that's a good position of a Radio station providing little value-added above its commercial competitor?

And do those figures include the thousands and thousands of people like myself who don't listen to it live but download the podcasts?

If not, those figures are entirely skewed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

But they're completely different genres. Radio 3 is a classical musical station, Classic FM is an easy-listening station. It''s like comparing Radio 3 to Radio 2- they're just not comparable.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Surely listening/viewing figures are not how we assess quality broadcasting.

BBC6 is not there to obtain high listening figures but provide an alternative to the boy/girl band and X Factor brigade.

The BBC pretty much gave up on alternative music when they started messing around with John Peel's time slots back in the 90's. Eventually shunting him out to a Saturday afternoon slot.

BBC6 really is the only station playing any sort of alternative/new music.

As someone else previously posted, we will be left with radio stations playing endless Coldplay, U2 as the major stations deem these 'alternative'

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I think the demograph it's aimed at is the 25-50 age range, and there is no alternative I've heard that caters for this group...

The listeners would have started listening to music radio in the seventies (sixties?), which sounds ages ago, but how often have you ended up tapping your toes to a 'golden oldie' from the nineties for example?

Let it be...

:rant:

And do those figures include the thousands and thousands of people like myself who don't listen to it live but download the podcasts?

If not, those figures are entirely skewed.

I don't know to be honest.

RAJAR data for podcasts this quarter | Podcast Voices and Video
Suggests it does, but I can't find any other evidence.

I quite like 6Music, but can entirely see the Beeb's point of view. They are under political pressure to cut costs and these stations are the obvious ones to cut.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I have been entirely outraged ever since this decision was announced. It's one of VERY FEW genuinely alternative radio stations available in this country.

How the FM airwaves can be filled with IDENTICAL stations such as Southern/Heart, Juice, Bright and even Radio 1 whilst a station with a playlist actually longer than a Spot the Dog book, playing bands and artists you won't hear anywhere else is put on the scrap heap is entirely unbelievable.

I think it is fair to say that a great deal more people would listen to it if they could but DAB in this country was implemented poorly and the technology is already out of date. Many people can't get decent DAB reception in their homes, let alone in their cars whilst on the move (and that's if you even have a DAB radio in the car, which is far from standard) so the easiest way to enjoy it is via the internet or if you catch up with downloaded podcasts (which don't count towards audience figures).

Many years ago, before the days of DAB, the government had strict rules for radio stations wishing to take up FM bandwidth, requiring that they cater to an audience that weren't already srved by existing stations. I was actually involved in a protest rally up in Leicester Square when Capital Radio (now Heart) bought the previously independent Xfm and obliterated its quirky, varied and eclectic playlist, replacing the songs with a comparitively tiny collection of bland pop songs that were already being played on Capital, Heart, Radio 1, Melody and even Magic. After serious pressure from Xfm's many fans the government stepped in and fined Capital for deviating from the station's original manifesto (to play predominantly guitar led alternative music) and they bucked their ideas up a little so as not to get in any more trouble, altering the playlist accordingly so it became the station it is today.

Xfm today is much better than the in the early days of the Capital takeover BUT it is still a shadow of its former self in the days when it was independently run.

What strikes me as odd is that we are faced with even less choice than ever on FM frequencies and yet the government's regulatory bodies to ensure competition and diversity seem to have ignored the fact that Heart have fairly rapidly gobbled up pretty much every commercial station in the UK to make them all idenitcal, as if they weren't all similar enough anyway. In London both Heart and Capital have always had fairly similar playlists but now they aren't even competing with each other they seem to make no effort whatsoever to try and differentiate from one another and what is the point of taking up two valuable FM frequencies for what is essentially the exact same output?

I rather suspect the government has let the massive Heart expansion slip under the radar so as to focus its efforts on getting everybody to switch to DAB, even though the simple fact of the matter is that the technology required to receive it is overpriced and not very good quality. The DAB system in this country is an already outdated media as the government went for the cheap option when rolling it out and as a result the quality is nowhere near as good as it should be, or as it is in other countries. We were promised better then cd quality crystal clear recording output and yet most of the time it's patchy and frequently intermittent at best. It's no wonder that people haven't invested in DAB receivers en masse when a £2.99 battery powered FM radio will likely offer you better sound quality.

And this, my friends, is why the BBC are taking the easy option and pulling the plug on BBC 6 Music, because no digital radio station has a sizeable audience share for all the reasons I've stated above and thus they'd sooner point to its low listener figures as justification for pulling the funding to spunk up the wall on yet more shite to be served up on BBC 3 (home of Two Pints of Lager and endless imported episodes of Family Guy).

I genuinely believe we have one of THE worst radio networks in the WORLD here thanks to the severe lack of choice. There are tiny island states with more varied radio stations than we have. In fact if you drive through some of the most barren American backwaters whilst turning the radio dial in your car you will still pick up something playing country music, another station playing contemporary rock, another playing "oldies", a shock jock talk show, a light pop station, maybe even one playing electronic music OR (in the case of South Caroline for instance) a station devoted ENTIRELY to the fairly niche genre of English Folk music. BUT traverse the FM frequencies anywhere in the UK and you'll find only the 4 national BBC stations, one or two local BBC stations, Classic FM and a selection of identical commercial chart music stations. THIS IS NOT DIVERSITY.

Whenever I'm in the car I only listen to the radio if I can pick up a pirate station which at least offers something genuinely different.

If you ask me we should all take a leaf out of the Brighton FIP fan's book and start broadcasting what we like from rudimentary broadcasing equipment (as can be bought from Maplins and the like) hidden in attics or other out of sight spaces. For TEN years FIP was broadcast to Brighton ILLEGALLY by a technically minded fan who was sick of the serious lack of options available to us in this country and loved the huge variety of the seemingly limiteless playlist of this funny little commercial free French radio station where the only occaisonal talking was entirely inoffensive due to being softly spoken non sensical French rather than over the top, irritating British radio DJ drivel.

If everyone with a DAB or internet connection plugged in a half decent FM transmitter to broadcast BBC 6 Music over the airwaves on an unused frequency from their homes then I will bet you people would listen in their droves.

It's high time people took a stand and spoke out about the fact that we are being severely short changed in this country and that ACTUALLY we don't ALL fall into exactly the same category of monotonous musically braindead drones

[/rant]

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I quite like 6Music, but can entirely see the Beeb's point of view. They are under political pressure to cut costs and these stations are the obvious ones to cut.
But the reason they're giving isn't that it's not popular enough, it's that the 'demographic' that allegedly listens to 6music is the one commercial radio is aimed at. Clearly that is some weak ass thinking.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Spot on Colossal. End of thread.

You should send that rant to the BBC and the radio authorities.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
The Craig Charles Funk & Soul show (Saturday evenings, 6Music) has introduced me to so much brilliant new music as well as stacks of old gems I hadn't heard before.
I hardly ever listened to it live though, usually via the iPlayer.
If that station were on FM I'd have it on atleast 4 hours a day.
I'd rather listen to the chug of my transit engine that Fearne Cotton bangin' on about fckin' Twitter all morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here