Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC 6Music

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Apologies if fixtures, but is anyone else here pissed off about the fact this amazing radio station is going to be shut down next year?

It's a shocking decision from the BBC. Apparently, the money saved from the station's closure will apparently go into "quality programming," like Young Butcher Of The Year and to pay for Fearne Cotton's ongoing learning of English.

I, for one, am f***ing gutted. There's no radio station that's anything like it, and will really miss it when it goes.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I love the fact everyone is coming out of the woodwork but listening figures show it is not popular!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I listen to it day and night. If it was on FM it would be doing better than Radio 3 are they gonna axe that?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Disappointing if it goes. Surely listening figures do not account for the LARGE number of people like myself who listen to the podcasts as opposed to listening live?

6music have given us:

Adam and Joe
Russell Brand
Rhod Gilbert
Jon Richardson

Real shame if it goes, while some of the dreadful comedy on BBC Three continues to get commissioned.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Steve Lamacq on the drivetime show is excellent.

Shame I can't listen to it in my car really.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Absolutely ridiculous decision

The only radio station worth listening too.

The could have saved more money by cutting the salaries of a few executives.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Apologies if fixtures, but is anyone else here pissed off about the fact this amazing radio station is going to be shut down next year?

It's a shocking decision from the BBC. Apparently, the money saved from the station's closure will apparently go into "quality programming," like Young Butcher Of The Year and to pay for Fearne Cotton's ongoing learning of English.

I, for one, am f***ing gutted. There's no radio station that's anything like it, and will really miss it when it goes.

There are a few campaigns under way-join all of them and make your voices heard. I think that stupid woman in charge will be forced into reversing the decision. I think she's also the one that has turned Radio 2 into a boy band/girl band filled pile of crap during the daytime. When will these people in control of things like radio stations understand that a good percentage of their listeners are males whose testicles descended more than a few years ago. We Don't Want An Endless Diet of Boy Band/Cheryl frigging Cole/Leona Lewis style Shite:rant:...and breathe.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I love the fact everyone is coming out of the woodwork but listening figures show it is not popular!

Exactly.

The BBC is a brilliant organisation but its pop music channels have always been pretty poor. I saw someone on Twitter this morning describe 6 Music as the BBC's version of Capital Gold - which makes me think that I've missed anything by not listening to it.

I really don't understand why I'm be exhorted to join a campaign to save a station which is clearly not popular.

Personally, I think they should close Radio 1 and Radio 2 too and pump some more money into R3 and R4, which are broadcasting jewels - but I guess that's not a popular view.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I find the timing very odd considering we'll all have to DAB radios soon and so it would get far more listeners.

The only stations I listen to for music are BBC6 and FIP, we'll have neither of them in a couple of years, just channel after channel where the only "Alternative" acts will be Kings of Leon, Coldplay and U2

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The only stations I listen to for music are BBC6 and FIP, we'll have neither of them in a couple of years ....

Where did you hear that FIP was closing down? I've not seen anything about that. Now, that is worrying ...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm listening to it right now.
The point of it was to supply to slightly alternative tastes, and not just have to listen to current r'n'b or r'n'b-influenced white mainstream pap from the past. I don't want to choose between Dire Straits and Lemar. I want more options, not all of them super-popular. If it's too expensive, then make cuts, but don't get rid of it.
It's a very important avenue for unknown bands to go down if they are not with major labels too.
I'm glad BBC4 is not for the chop though. If both went it would be a tanktop-wearing revolution in West London that i'd stride corduroyishly with.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Exactly.

The BBC is a brilliant organisation but its pop music channels have always been pretty poor. I saw someone on Twitter this morning describe 6 Music as the BBC's version of Capital Gold - which makes me think that I've missed anything by not listening to it.

I really don't understand why I'm be exhorted to join a campaign to save a station which is clearly not popular.

It's hardly a Capital Gold and it isn't unpopular. It is merely less popular than mainstream BBC stations because it is only available as a Digital station. If it was an FM station it would be pulling in big numbers of listeners and Radio 2 would be suffering a drop in listeners.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I saw someone on Twitter this morning describe 6 Music as the BBC's version of Capital Gold - which makes me think that I've missed anything by not listening to it.

It is nothing like that.

I'd suggest giving it a listen.

There's talk that the better stuff will be incorporated into Radio 2 which is just bullshit to soften the blow of all this. 6Music would have a huge following if it wasn't just a digital station. I'd liken it more to a BBC version of Xfm in the main, just better.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Exactly.

Personally, I think they should close Radio 1 and Radio 2 too and pump some more money into R3 and R4, which are broadcasting jewels - but I guess that's not a popular view.

6 music is nothing like Capital Gold, whoever said that has never listened to it clearly. There is no other station that even comes close to covering the music that 6 music does, certainly in the day time. Radio 3 has competitors covering the same music, you could even argue whether the BBC needs two news channels (4 and 5live). I don't hold to that argument myself but still would be a valid argument. If 6music was available on FM it would be every bit as popular as Radio 3 if not more so.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
Anyone who has listened to 6 music will tell you that it's their favourite station. The only reason listening numbers are low is that it's digital/internet only

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here