Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Batsmen walking

Would you walk?

• Absolutely - its in the spirit of the game and the umpires job is hard enough as it is

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • No way - You win some, you lose some, this will equal out some of the bad ones

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
The benefits of walking are clear - Gilchrist has a reputation as a walker so is very unlikely to get a shocker of a decision as the umpire will know he is a walker.

But lets not let this become an Aussie bashing thread - they are no worse than England. In fact you could say they are better since they have at least one walker in their side, we don't have any.

I also distinctly remember Atherton gloving one horrendously, not walking and went on to win the test match almost single handedly, so lets not get all self righteous.

It has become a self fulfilling thing now because there are no wlakers, you'll get more bum decisions.

Personally at my club level I walk. I have learnt the hard way - when I was in NZ I nicked one, didn't walk and was roundly abused for the rest of the game by the oppo and didn't enjoy the game one bit. I play a decent standard but not one where winning goes ahead of enjoyment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The benefits of walking are clear - Gilchrist has a reputation as a walker so is very unlikely to get a shocker of a decision as the umpire will know he is a walker.

Sums it up perfectly, you reap what you sow

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
but I thought I'd read that you were from Yorkshire.:jester:

OI!!!

Seriously I can understand if you have been given out LBW when hitting the ball and then not walking the next week...but I always walk...its not worth the grief you give cheating tossers who dont walk

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
i've always thought that things like walking, not claiming a catch when you know it hit the ground before you got your hands under it, and applauding an opposition batsman when he reaches a milestone score are what set cricket apart from EVERY other sport. so, yes, you should always walk.

that symonds incident today was outrageous - you absolutely have to walk in situations like that regardless of any bad decisions you got in the past or may get in the future.

sad thing is, the umpire's decision makes symonds "right" so the (young, inexperienced) bowler will probably get fined for dissent.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I've never got out in a way that hasn't been ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT BLATANT. So I've never had that particular moral dilemma to worry about.

My highest score, by the way, in all forms of competitive cricket (The Eden Valley league, Div 2) is 6*.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
Mind you it does rankle when some clueless, non-batting, trigger-fingered, easily intimidated bowler from your own team is umpiring and they give you out caught behind when you - and the opposition - know that the ball flicked the top of your pad and went nowhere near your bat!

Mind you, it was only 1991 when this happened to me, so I suspect I'll get over it soon.

Its worse when the umpire in question is Kev. Trust me. :rant::rant::rant:

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
I would never walk (usually I don't need to because the stumps are in pieces:)) but often umpires give not outs out like Ponting got a inside edge on to pad and was given out LBW so you get some given some not, its up to people to walk if the want to.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It depended if I had actually scored anything by then.

I never walked on a
duck.gif

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
When I play in park cricket I walk.

In French cricket I assume French characteristics and cheat.

In Test cricket I let the bloody umpire do his job.Its what he's paid for,but if he gives me out he's off my christmas card list toot da sweet.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Why would you walk if the umpire didn't give you out?

Would anyone expect a footballer to tell the ref he handled the ball in the box and the other team deserves a penalty?

Would anyone expect a basketballer to tell a ref he fouled someone if the ref didn't call it?

The umpires/refs are there to make the calls, not the players.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by

Would anyone expect a footballer to tell the ref he handled the ball in the box and the other team deserves a penalty?

Would anyone expect a basketballer to tell a ref he fouled someone if the ref didn't call it?

As someone else said earlier, that's what makes cricket different from other sports isn't it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Actually, I have done just that a few times. I played against a side in Brighton a few years ago, Brighton Ukranians ( team full of media and actor types - f***ing useless umpire too) anyway, I went to square cut a ball, hit it, the keeper juggled it and it went behind him, I couldnt see if he caught it, the umpire couldnt see - nor the twat at square leg smoking a fag and daydreaming - so when he appealed i looked him in the eye and asked him if he caught it, he said Yes and i walked.

last year we played eastbourne 3rds and they were all mouthy shits. Anyway, bowled this ball, the batsman clearly hit it, we all went up he just stood there, the umpire ( HIS DAD) said not out...we all just stood there....anyway, next ball he blocks...we all just stand there and clapped him and made pithy comments...this happened until he finally lost it and went for a huge heave ho and I had him stumped....i am not a great sledger, but sometimes it is 100% justified.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
If we get onto sledging I must say I like a bit - must be something to do with the 5 years I spent in NZ, it eventually rubbed off. Anyway, last season I had my most spectacular unsuccessful sledge. We were playing a side who had a guy who was way too good for the standard he was playing but liked playing with his mates. We got a few guys out and it was clear he would have to win it for them. So I started talking after every ball about how he must be nervous, he's go tot win the game for them etc. Carried on for a few overs and he genuinely looked as if he was getting nervous.

So I said I could hear him ticking like a bomb, he was about to lose it big time. The very next ball he can down the wicket to our opening bowler and hit one of the biggest 6's I have ever seen. As he was part way through his follow through he shouted Tick-tick-boooom !! I remained very quiet after that, other than fending off abuse and laughter from my teams mates. He went on to score 130 odd not out to win the game chasing 240.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As someone else said earlier, that's what makes cricket different from other sports isn't it?

Personally I don't think it's any differet to any other sport.

The idea that it's some noble gentlemans game is way off the mark.

Considering the corruption issues, drug issues, cheating issues, sledging issues, racism issues, I'd suggest it's very much like every other sport going around.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Actually, I have done just that a few times. I played against a side in Brighton a few years ago, Brighton Ukranians ( team full of media and actor types - f***ing useless umpire too) anyway, I went to square cut a ball, hit it, the keeper juggled it and it went behind him, I couldnt see if he caught it, the umpire couldnt see - nor the twat at square leg smoking a fag and daydreaming - so when he appealed i looked him in the eye and asked him if he caught it, he said Yes and i walked.

last year we played eastbourne 3rds and they were all mouthy shits. Anyway, bowled this ball, the batsman clearly hit it, we all went up he just stood there, the umpire ( HIS DAD) said not out...we all just stood there....anyway, next ball he blocks...we all just stand there and clapped him and made pithy comments...this happened until he finally lost it and went for a huge heave ho and I had him stumped....i am not a great sledger, but sometimes it is 100% justified.

Ok so Symonds walks and he's out, and you respect him.

Andy Whing handles the ball in the box and motions to the ref its a hand ball and the other team gets a penalty.

The question for mine is do you then respect him, or as would probably be the case everyone yells abuse at him for doing such an act.

People may say they aren't the same sports, but the spirit of all sports isn't that different IMO, people want to win at all costs at the highest levels.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ok so Symonds walks and he's out, and you respect him.

Andy Whing handles the ball in the box and motions to the ref its a hand ball and the other team gets a penalty.

The question for mine is do you then respect him, or as would probably be the case everyone yells abuse at him for doing such an act.

People may say they aren't the same sports, but the spirit of all sports isn't that different IMO, people want to win at all costs at the highest levels.

But that would never happen would it....in fact when there is the blatentest(sp) of handballs, the players concerned and if you are Chelsea anyone who was within 100 miles of the incident would come running to the ref protesting about this and that.

I know what you are getting at, I just think it is very difficult to compare the two, in the same way as trying to get football players to behave in the same was to refs as Rugby players is a futile argument.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Personally I don't think it's any differet to any other sport.

The idea that it's some noble gentlemans game is way off the mark.

Considering the corruption issues, drug issues, cheating issues, sledging issues, racism issues, I'd suggest it's very much like every other sport going around.

you're not doing much to disprove the "all australians are cheating wankers" theory, are you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here