Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Batsmen walking

Would you walk?

• Absolutely - its in the spirit of the game and the umpires job is hard enough as it is

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • No way - You win some, you lose some, this will equal out some of the bad ones

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I know it used to be the done thing, what's peoples opinion on it nowadays? Having watched the highlights of the Aussies first innings this morning there were definate arguements for and against.

The 2 big decisions for me were the caught behinds of Ponting and Symonds who both got MASSIVE nicks but stood their ground and waited for the umpire to make a decision. I can only assume the umpires thought both deliveries must have flicked body parts rather than the bat because they'd think both batsmen couldn't possibly have the nerve to stand there having caught such an obvious snick!

However later in the day Ponting was given LBW when there was just as blatent an inside edge first.

So, trying to be as honest as possible, if you're a test cricketer today do you.....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Always walk if you *know* you've nicked it. Any doubt in your own mind then let the umpire decide.

Of course the rules are different for the Aussies because they're a bunching of cheating whinging tossers.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
always have done, always will do

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'm in two minds. Cricket is a gentlemans game (or was!) and part and parcel of that was knowing when you were out that it was the thing to do to walk. However so many players (most of my own country) seem to have decided its up to the umpire to get it right.

Since the umpires 22 yards away and its not easy to call a snick down the leg side of a well padded up batsman (especially when slips and the keeper leap into the air calling HOWWWWZAAAAT every time there is a glimmer of a chance) I think its a bit lame of a batsman to put the ounus back on the umpire.

But its the modern game isn't it - no excuse really...but just the way some people have decided to play it...

Personally - if I knew I was well out - I'd walk, if I wasn't sure if I nicked it or not (ie clothing or some such) then I'd stand....

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I know it used to be the done thing, what's peoples opinion on it nowadays? Having watched the highlights of the Aussies first innings this morning there were definate arguements for and against.

The 2 big decisions for me were the caught behinds of Ponting and Symonds who both got MASSIVE nicks but stood their ground and waited for the umpire to make a decision. I can only assume the umpires thought both deliveries must have flicked body parts rather than the bat because they'd think both batsmen couldn't possibly have the nerve to stand there having caught such an obvious snick!

However later in the day Ponting was given LBW when there was just as blatent an inside edge first.

So, trying to be as honest as possible, if you're a test cricketer today do you.....

As a club cricketer i have walked on many occaision for edges, as a test crickerter i would wait, the walking incedent in first class cricket that stands out for me was i think mal loy in the cand g final on an lbw appeal:O

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Mind you it does rankle when some clueless, non-batting, trigger-fingered, easily intimidated bowler from your own team is umpiring and they give you out caught behind when you - and the opposition - know that the ball flicked the top of your pad and went nowhere near your bat!

Mind you, it was only 1991 when this happened to me, so I suspect I'll get over it soon.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
I can only remember being caught behind once in my life, playing in a pub game a couple of years ago. I knew I'd hit it, and I was already on my way back to the pavilion by the time the ball was in the keepers gloves. When I passed the standing umpire he asked me where I was going, as he didn't think I was out.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
For those that go along the lines that if you were unsure you'd nicked it you'd hang around watch the Aussie highlights and see if you think the CHEATING BUGGERS knew they'd nicked it! :rant:

I personally would hang around if I wasn't sure but I think in this instance 2 world class cricketers might have had a bit of an inkling!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Mind you it does rankle when some clueless, non-batting, trigger-fingered, easily intimidated bowler from your own team is umpiring and they give you out caught behind when you - and the opposition - know that the ball flicked the top of your pad and went nowhere near your bat!

Mind you, it was only 1991 when this happened to me, so I suspect I'll get over it soon.

TRHK - I expect you will be chuntering about this to anyone who will listen (grandchildren, people in the pub, yourself) well into your old age. You KNOW you were robbed and it just wasn't out.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Can't be bothered Simster - not everyones perfect and that goes for some supposed English world class cricketers as well...

Can't be bothered posting anymore when people are so adamant that ALL Australians are "cheating whinging tossers"...better things to do with my time than defend my corner against wind ups...

Last edited:

As a club cricketer i have walked on many occaision for edges, as a test crickerter i would wait, the walking incedent in first class cricket that stands out for me was i think mal loy in the cand g final on an lbw appeal:O

he was plumb in front though................:bigwave:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If you were given out caught in the first innings to a ball you hadn't touched. Surely you'd take revenge in the 2nd by not walking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here