Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bates Mentions Brighton in his press conf

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
In his tirade against Shef wed directors.

We lent you Leon Knight last season you did not keep him.
He went to Brighton, a club with gates of 6000 and no money at all. They were relegated last season with Wed, he is the leading scorer in Div 2. You could have had Leon for free, says something about poor decision making at Wed

(I para phrase a bit so words to that effect).

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
trueblue said:
Ken Bates is a twat :angry:
He must be to offer Wednesday £10 million. Tosser:salute:

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
No wonder it is a hostile take over

he will a very popular guy on wednesday board as he was at Chealsea

fat beared twat:salute:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That wasn''t a reference to what he said about Leon so much as a comment on Ken Bates in general :D

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Old Ken! Making friends as soon as he steps through the door.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Im sure £10 will cushion the blow !!

whats the bet Turner is a casualty at end of season ?

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Why is Ken Bates such a twat? You cannot doubt his ambition? He invests in teams. Albeit not very wisely sometimes. He did not jump ship at Chelski and only left as he was frozen out? Not sure I'd want him at Brighton as he's not a fan. But I really don't see why people hate him so much. He's a million miles from being an Archer or Bellotti.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Lammy said:
Why is Ken Bates such a twat? You cannot doubt his ambition? He invests in teams. Albeit not very wisely sometimes. He did not jump ship at Chelski and only left as he was frozen out? Not sure I'd want him at Brighton as he's not a fan. But I really don't see why people hate him so much. He's a million miles from being an Archer or Bellotti.

However if it was not for Roman appearing in the summer, Chelsea would be in a very similar position to Leeds. Their debts were spirraling out of control and a lot of the overspending was due to Ken's ego and desire to keep up with the Gooners and Mancs.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I get the impression that it is a hostile takeover. I think it is desperation that have made the board accept his money.
I am pretty sure at the AGM it was mooted and thrown out of the window.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Did Ridsdale succeed in his buy-out at Barnsley?
Cos having him and Bates next door to each other would be interesting!

timco said:
In his tirade against Shef wed directors.

We lent you Leon Knight last season you did not keep him.
He went to Brighton, a club with gates of 6000 and no money at all. They were relegated last season with Wed, he is the leading scorer in Div 2. You could have had Leon for free, says something about poor decision making at Wed

(I para phrase a bit so words to that effect).

Yeah, and?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From this is sounds like it is far from a done deal?

Bates makes Owls plea

Ken Bates has revealed he has more than £10m to invest in Sheffield Wednesday.
The 72-year-old is keen to make a swift return to football after parting company with Chelsea.

"I have a minimum of £10m to invest," said Bates. "I'm 72 and I feel I've got one more challenge left in me and I'd like to take on that here.

Bates said the playing squad needed improving but revealed any investment is dependent on an inspection of the financial situation at the club.

"No-one's going to put money into a football club without knowing facts," said Bates who criticised the Owls board for failing to provide financial information.

Twenty years ago Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday were head to head. Chelsea are now in the Champions League, and look where Wednesday are

Ken Bates

"The important thing is the position at the bank. There's no point in putting money in the back door to see it go out the back door to the board or to the banks."

Bates claimed that Wednesday are £26.5m in debt, with £22m owed to the bank, and the rest to the directors.

He also outlined that radical changes need to happen at the club.

"First of all the job is to improve the playing squad. I don't think they're going to get relegated but it's not a happy situation for a club of Wednesday's stature."

Bates hinted at a possible change to current manager Chris Turner should he become involved.

I'm 72 and I feel I've got one more challenge left in me

Ken Bates

He said: "I don't know what I would do about a manager, but I don't know a successful manager who played as a goalkeeper.

"There's got to be some improvements in terms of commercial income, gate receipts and the maintenance of the stadium.

"We really want it to be a 365-day operation rather than a 27-day one. That way the fans will feel part of the club."

"Twenty years ago Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday were head to head. Chelsea are now in the Champions League, and look where Wednesday are.

"I'm 72 and I feel I've got one more challenge left in me, and I'd like to take on that here."

Bates pocketed about £18m when he sold Chelsea to Roman Abramovich last year.

He left Chelsea after being increasingly sidelined in the new Chelsea regime under Abramovich and recently-appointed chief executive Peter Kenyon.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Lammy said:

He's not that many miles from it. He merits a whole chapter in Tom Bower's "Broken Dreams". Have a look at if you can.

Don't forget Chelsea were on their way out of business by the time Abramovich came in although, strangely, Mr Bates was far from skint. I'm sure there's a string of people who've suffered financially over the years who would tell you why he's not the "Chelsea saviour" he likes to portray.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Bates is just an overcooked loud-mouth who needs the
lime-light more than the lime-light needs him.
Good luck wednesday you'll need it.
Nobody puts money onto a club for no return

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
On the Left Wing said:
Did Ridsdale succeed in his buy-out at Barnsley?
Cos having him and Bates next door to each other would be interesting!

Yes

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Ken Bates, like Archerbellotistanley and like Franchise FC's Koppell, is basically a dodgy property developer dressed up as a football chairman.

Revolting creature. If I was a Sheff Wed fan, I'd be more worried than elated, no matter how far they've fallen.

When's the electric fence going up around Hillsborough?

Bought Chelsea and Stamford Bridge for £1 in 1982 and until Matthew Harding came along did feck all to make the club competitive. But still manages to walk away with £10m in his back pocket.

I wouldn't want him within 100 mils of my club thank you.

And he's responsible for the fiasco that is Wembley Stadium

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here