Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bastard Speed Cameras

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Got caught in Southampton a few weeks ago - fair cop, 43mph in a 30, just lost concentration - takes me to 6 points.

Unbeknown to me I was also snapped on the A43 Dual Carriageway at Blisworth on my way back from Chesterfield, doing 84mph in a 70. The paperwork arrived yesterday.

Bloody shitting bastard speed cameras. Fair enough, put them near schools to catch the wankers who drive at 40mph when the kids (maybe my kids) are coming out of school, but turn the bastard things off when it's 11 at night, there's nothing on the road and it's miles from the nearest house, let alone a school

FUCKERS

:(

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Or perhaps you could drive within the law ?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm considering getting one of those Road Angel devices-about 320 quid but with the effect that points have on insurance these days it seems like a good investment to me.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
hiney. Just think, I know of a bloke who picked his ne bike up from Bikes of Brigton, and was banned on Wednesday, so had to sell the bike on Tuesday!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
hiney said:
Bloody shitting bastard speed cameras.

:( [/B]

Couldn't agree more.

I received one about three months back. Company car so I wrote back and said we didn't keep records of who was driving. Letter back saying we had to keep records which I ignored. Heard nothing since. Fingers crossed.

Seagull Stew

SeagullinKent said:
I got flashed on the A21 at Tonbridge 3 weeks ago. Still had no paperwork through as yet. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Was that the camera that actually faces the traffic as you head south along the A21, just before the turn off to Tonbridge?
If it is, I had no idea it actually flashed! Surely this in itself would be dangerous!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
hiney said:
I'll bloody have to now with 9 points.

You're absolutely right of course but I'm still pissed off, especially as I didn't even see the flash.

Perhaps I can blame Turkey for not warning me as he was in the passenger seat.

I am in an even worse position. I got done by the facking things for doing 70 in a 50. £435 + 6 points. :censored: :censored: What made it worse was that the road had gone from 70 to a 50 limit only about 200 yards before the camera (if anyone know's it, on the A3 at Chessington) and I'd bloody missed it!

And then a month ago, I got snapped again. Not sure what the details are yet but I can't believe I was going much more than 5mph over the 40mph speed limit because I'm so careful now. If it is within 5mph, I'm gonna contest it. :angry:

SeagullinKent

Jul 7, 2003
Orpington
Seagull_Stew said:
Was that the camera that actually faces the traffic as you head south along the A21, just before the turn off to Tonbridge?
If it is, I had no idea it actually flashed! Surely this in itself would be dangerous!

Thats the one pal. I had never seen in flash before until that night. I was doing approx 83mph, I know if you do 75mph. Funny thing tho is that a week later I saw another car get flashed as well.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I've been caught by the camera a couple of times (it has flashed) but then received no paperwork or follow up (once on Christmas day - perhaps they were feeling generous)!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sometimes there is no film in the cameras, therfore no evidence, and no fine. However, many are no digitaland link direct to traffic units, and the paperwork can go out within the hour.

Worse place is the M1, which is dotted with the things.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
GUNTER said:
I've been caught by the camera a couple of times (it has flashed) but then received no paperwork or follow up (once on Christmas day - perhaps they were feeling generous)!

Yeah, that used to happen to me loads of times. But now I shit myself every time I see the cameras flash in case they're for me!

Seagull_Stew said:
If it's facing you, it won't flash. That type of camera is triggered by two or three sensor wires embedded in the road surface. They just take a picture of the front of the car (infra-red I think), therefore no flash.

By taking a picture of the front, that also means you can't argue that you don't know who was driving it.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
Simster, by the sounds of things it might be too late for the Chessington A3 fine - but until about 3 weeks ago it was the only camera on the A3 NOT painted yellow (following recent law changes) it may have caught you illegally if it wasn't yellow when you got zapped.....just a thought....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Money on a radar detector is well spent. After being caught twice by cameras and 6 points I bought a Beltronics detector a couple of years ago. Expensive at £345.00 at the time but I've not been caught since as it keeps you aware all the time, bleeping away with the occasional false alarms (garages/some traffic lights) and spots gatsos from about 400 yards.

SeagullinKent

Jul 7, 2003
Orpington
Mr C said:
If it's facing you, it won't flash. That type of camera is triggered by two or three sensor wires embedded in the road surface. They just take a picture of the front of the car (infra-red I think), therefore no flash.

By taking a picture of the front, that also means you can't argue that you don't know who was driving it.

It does flash, I travel that road every day and I have now seen it happen quite a dew times

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
on dual carriageways and motorways I think they're dangerous, people brake unecessarily to avoid being flashed, even if theyre not speeding, it a natural reaction to them.

I totally agree with them being in built up areas near schools, blind bends etc, but otherwise Im all for spraying the lenses, pulling them down and ramming the support tube right up the arse of the bastard then fills them up with film. :eek: the police charge twice as much as the council for doing f*** all in Adur other than fly around in a helicopter for fun so quite where all the speeding camera money goes I dont know.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Know how you feel .... been done twice

But spare a thought for a 75 year old lady here in Sunderland who had never had a speeding conviction in her life ... then she was done 3 times at the same spot in just over an hour in February by a mobile camera.
She was taking her dogs in the back of her car for a walk on the beach. From memory she was doing 35mph, 38mph and 37pmh (or something like that) in a 30mph zone, where there were no visible speed signs.
She now has 9 points on her licence!
It has caused an outrage here and the story is continuingt to run in the local press.
Police could be better employed catching the muggers, car thieves, rapists and burglars who run rife in this part of the country!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here