Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barton blast at 'loser' authors

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
These were the comments:

Barton may have ruffled a few feathers in the England camp with his recent comments about the spate of books which emerged after the World Cup.

Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and Steven Gerrard all produced books after the tournament.

"I can't get my head around that," said Barton.

"England did nothing in that World Cup, so why were they bringing out books? If I'm buying a book I'll buy a book about someone who's won something.

"I might be off the mark, but (the England World Cup team) seemed to be a bunch of individuals playing for themselves and not wanting to do the nasty things involved in being a team."

What do you reckon - I make him spot on. People should only do books when they retire anyway, I think Rooney will have done four or five by the time he's 25. By all accounts sales have been pretty crap for most of those above.

Might make for an interesting England dressing room when he is called up though, as is likely next year.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Tooting Gull said:
I think Rooney will have done four or five by the time he's 25. By all accounts sales have been pretty crap for most of those above.

I'd start by making it a pre-requisite that you have to be able to read before you can bring out a book....

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I take it this is Joey Barton?

He's hardly qualified to lecture people on team spirit I'd have thought since his idea of bonding with team-mates is jabbing a lit cigar in their eyes.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I completely argree.

Football autobiographies should only be released at the end of theyre career. Whilst there are a few exceptions ( Tony Adams , Paul Merson) most of the players releasing them have nothing to say other than bleating about how its 'so unfair that i only earn a million pounds a second, how can i live on that

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
It was actually quite a balanced article - from the Sunday Times.

He comes across as articulate and seems to have matured and learnt his lesson.

Last edited:

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
I got the Rooney one but I couldn't finish it. The felt-tips ran out.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The problem is the public, they wouldn't bring books out if they weren't going to sell any but there are too many gullable people out there who do will buy them.

:shootself

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Joey Barton in saying something sensible shocker...

Totally agree with him on this occassion, those overpaid FAILURES did sod all, what makes them famous? What gives them a right to bring out a book? Would I read any of their books? NO CHANCE.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I genuinely think that the public aren't as stupid as the publishers seem to think they are.

Soenone with a decent tale and a real personality - Cascarino, for example, or Claridge - will sell better than a bigger name with nothing to say. And even if these 'stars' did have something to say, they wouldn't for fear of rocking the boat. Making the whole venture futile.

Has anybody on here bought the Ashley Cole book? And if so - why?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
To be fair, no-one, (well only about 3,000 people) bought Ashley Cole's "ill-advised" carcrash whineathon - I'd say that, when the footballing annals of this era are written, the publication of that book will stand out as a landmark of everything that's rotten about the Premiership every bit as much as Marie Antoinette's remarks about cake did about the ancien regime. His behaviour genuinely reminds me of her.

Last edited:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Has someone got the amount of copies those crappy 06 football books have sold? Hasn't Ashley Coles book sold something like 2,000 copies?

I want to get hold of Perry Groves biography, it actually sounds quite interesting and I think it's sold something like 10x more than Cashley's.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
Marie Antoinette's remarks about cake did about the ancien regime. His behaviour genuinely reminds me of her.

The stories of Antoinette's excesses are vastly overstated. In fact, rather than ignoring France's growing financial crisis, she reduced the royal household staff, eliminating many unnecessary positions that were based solely on privilege. In the process she offended the nobles, adding their condemnation to the scandalous stories spread by royal hopefuls. It was the nobility that balked at the financial reforms the government ministers tried to make, not the King and Queen, who were in favor of change

;)

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
They probably make more money out of the syndicated serialisations in the tabloids than they do from any actual off-the-shelf sales.

It's the British press with more money than sense

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Has someone got the amount of copies those crappy 06 football books have sold? Hasn't Ashley Coles book sold something like 2,000 copies?

As of 15 October:
These are the latest sales figures, courtesy of The Bookseller, for our quintet: Gerrard 76,459; Rooney 36,973; Lampard 26,662; Ferdinand 7,651; Cole: 3,128

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Tooting Gull said:
I genuinely think that the public aren't as stupid as the publishers seem to think they are.

Soenone with a decent tale and a real personality - Cascarino, for example, or Claridge - will sell better than a bigger name with nothing to say. And even if these 'stars' did have something to say, they wouldn't for fear of rocking the boat. Making the whole venture futile.

Has anybody on here bought the Ashley Cole book? And if so - why?

The only way I would buy Coles is if he slipped a few nude piccies of his missus in.

:love:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Wayne,can we ghost a book for you?Fifty grand down and a share of the profits.

Excellent.

Its the mugs wot buy them.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
bhafc99 said:
Rooney 36,973

I think all of these people should be named and shamed. Who the f*** would buy Wayne Rooney's autobiography? Granted, he's a shit hot footballer but a) he's not achieved any real success yet and b) he's thick as pig shit with absolutely f*** all to say about the world.

Gerrard's I can understand a little more, because he's probably got a few things to say, but from what I can gather Rooney's is written like a 7 year old's diary.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Trigger said:
Joey Barton in saying something sensible shocker...

Totally agree with him on this occassion, those overpaid FAILURES did sod all, what makes them famous? What gives them a right to bring out a book? Would I read any of their books? NO CHANCE.

Wot Trigger said

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here