Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bart Verbruggen SINGS a 5-year deal

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The season where we finished 6th. Sanchez played well over half the games. Steele played only 15 games, well less than half - de Zerbi got away with it that time. Not the following season, sadly. Due to Sanchez being demoted from the no.1 position and subsequently leaving the club, we had to spend the best part of £20M to start the next season with one GK who wasn't quite good enough and one who wasn't quite ready.
:shrug:
Im with you on thinking Sanchez was a decent keeper, but we can't airbrush out the costly clangers either and nor was he that great with his feet, certainly not as good as Steele or Bart, though hes miles better with the gloves than Steele and maybe Bart too?. His attitude at being dropped sealed the deal.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
The only reason we got away with Steele in the previous season was the defensive cover by Caicedo and Mac Allister in the midfield. The whole shape of the team protected the defence so much more, plus the individuals were playing at a much higher level. Estupinan was unrecognisable last season and Veltman's performances have dropped off a cliff as well.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Im with you on thinking Sanchez was a decent keeper, but we can't airbrush out the costly clangers either and nor was he that great with his feet, certainly not as good as Steele or Bart, though hes miles better with the gloves than Steele and maybe Bart too?. His attitude at being dropped sealed the deal.
I remember Sanchez doing some pretty accurate passes out to Cucu - and later Pervis and Mitoma - flying down the left, Dunk-like pin-point precision. He was getting a bit complacent, and no doubt deserved a wake up call by being dropped for a couple of matches - but to come back, play excellently for two games (including a 120 minute shut out at Wembley), only to be told he was going to be no.2 because of de Zerbi's obsession that his GKs should play like Pirlo rather than Buffon - I can understand why he wanted out, and don't blame him for asking to be left out of the squad. Minority view, I know - but I won't be changing it.
Playing out from the back, yeh - but maybe just make sure that the GK has an 'easy' pass to make, eh? Unfortunately other teams in the league brought GKs with them who saved goals and won points from us. :(

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Grummitt made his First Division debut for Forest in 1960 at just 18. 434 appearances for Forest and Massive in an era of big gates. A great career.
Yep, and although he was coming to the end of his career when he was with us, he was still class and remains my favourite. I really like Bart, though, and he’s got the potential to be our best ever.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Mose was pretty good too - and I always rated the other Steele too: Eric, of that ilk.
Don't forget Digweed - he would lay his balls on the line to make a save.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Mose was pretty good too - and I always rated the other Steele too: Eric, of that ilk.
Not sure either of those were that good to be honest.

Mose simply made too many errors, amongst some great saves.
(I still remember John Gregory saying “oh Mose”, after it went through him).

Eric just didn’t command his box at all, brilliant reflexes though.

Grummitt however was excellent as per @Weststander post.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The season where we finished 6th. Sanchez played well over half the games. Steele played only 15 games, well less than half - de Zerbi got away with it that time. Not the following season, sadly. Due to Sanchez being demoted from the no.1 position and subsequently leaving the club, we had to spend the best part of £20M to start the next season with one GK who wasn't quite good enough and one who wasn't quite ready.
:shrug:
Agree with this to a certain extent, everyone always forgets in goalkeeping terms Sanchez is still very young, and did very well initially.

Of course he made some howlers, but it was lack of ability with the ball at his feet that did for him IMO. He is still developing and will get better.

Bart is at a similar point to Sanchez but is stronger on the ball.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agree with this to a certain extent, everyone always forgets in goalkeeping terms Sanchez is still very young, and did very well initially.

Of course he made some howlers, but it was lack of ability with the ball at his feet that did for him IMO. He is still developing and will get better.

Bart is at a similar point to Sanchez but is stronger on the ball.
I'm yet to be convinced that Bart is better than Sanchez (although Sanchez' confidence has been affected by his experiences - that can be recovered though). Sanchez' ability to find a flying winger with a precision pass (looked like he'd learnt that from Dunk, and was trying, quite well, to imitate it) suggested to me that his feet weren't that much of a concern!
I still think history may well judge pi$$ing off Sanchez as de Zerbi's first mistake (RDZ's first comment on Sanchez, weeks before the horrible Palace howler, started, "Robert is a good goalkeeper, but................") Regardless of whether Bart is or is not better than Sanchez, RDZ's stubborn obsession that GKs should be sweepers, not keepers cost us badly in his second season, as we were handicapped by the GK rotation - forced on us by having one GK not good enough, and the other, at least for the first half/two thirds of the season, not quite ready - and it cost us.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Falling out with RDZ didn’t appear to leave a route back, happened with a few players and imo is a managerial weakness unless you have a plethora of replacements of similar quality. Mitoma for Trossard - Yes but having both available would have been better. Steele for Sanchez - maybe, it did seem to work in his first season. Dahoud for nobody :shrug: so maybe not such a weakness thinking it through, but there should always be a route back imo

Grummit was my favourite Albion keeper

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I was surprised he is the Dutch number 1 for the Euros. The Dutch have often excelled with having good line of keepers to choose from. Obviously not the case now.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was surprised he is the Dutch number 1 for the Euros. The Dutch have often excelled with having good line of keepers to choose from. Obviously not the case now.
It's hard for us to work out how good he is. He's certainly looked ok, but I can't imagine that any keeper is going to show his best form when he gets rotated out of the team every 2 weeks!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Didn't have loads of saves to make tonight, a few vital ones, but generally he just looked so composed & much more experienced than his years would suggest. Totally unfazed to be playing on the international stage against France. His passing out to defenders, his distribution, collecting crosses, organising his defence, all top class. & few very decent saves when called upon.

Well done Bart!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I seem to recall only two league clubs got name checked in the commentary today. Brighton and, er, Brighton. :rave: :rave: :rave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here