Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Lloyd

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I have to agree with bensgrandad (and usually I don't!), none of us know what is happening in the club, he might be doing a sterling job, he might not - we will never know.

dont worry its just the usual goons trying to find something to moan about :shootself

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I well remember those days. Dropping then flogging Dean Saunders for pennies. Paying 100K (in those days a fortune) for Mark Farrington. I am sure he profitied out of the Goldstone sale as well. Crook.

If I remember rightly, we sold Dean Saunders for £60k which was half sensible money in those days for a lower division striker not too long after picking him up on a free.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Glenn Murray......

Not really the hardest player to 'spot' was he!!

To be honest his role is pretty much a waste of time. The days of picking up a decent player out of non league or someones reserves are long gone. Quality players are all picked up at a very young age now and that is where all the investment and scouting needs to be.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If I remember rightly, we sold Dean Saunders for £60k which was half sensible money in those days for a lower division striker not too long after picking him up on a free.

You're having a laugh:shrug:

paulclark

Sep 7, 2008
if he rated dean saunders why did he put him on the bench and play titman in his place who scored one tap in in 20 games
he also sold him for shit money

m
I think that the decision to sell Dean SAUNDERS was taken from him by the bank and he had no choice in the matter. Mark Farrington proved to be bad buy but as with every transfer you take a chance some come off and are a success some dont. The last bit you should apologise for unless you have specific evidence to back up your asertions.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
You're having a laugh:shrug:

Not really. I think we signed him from Swansea for nothing then after about a couple of years sold him to Oxford for £60k. Bear in mind this was 1987 when teams didn't pay £100m for players, especially strikers from teams at the bottom of the 2nd division and who'd only scored 20 goals in two and a half seasons.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Not really. I think we signed him from Swansea for nothing then after about a couple of years sold him to Oxford for £60k. Bear in mind this was 1987 when teams didn't pay £100m for players, especially strikers from teams at the bottom of the 2nd division and who'd only scored 20 goals in two and a half seasons.

Believe me, I was around at the time and £60K was a joke.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can any of the Lloyd critics name one manager of any club who has never signed a dud player! It's all very well listing the likes of Tiltman, Briley etc but at the end of the day Lloyd probably did more than any other at the club to keep us in business and included in that one promotion and one Wembley play off which was a bit more important than last play off final as we would have been in the top flight the season before it became the Premiership.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Can any of the Lloyd critics name one manager of any club who has never signed a dud player! It's all very well listing the likes of Tiltman, Briley etc but at the end of the day Lloyd probably did more than any other at the club to keep us in business and included in that one promotion and one Wembley play off which was a bit more important than last play off final as we would have been in the top flight the season before it became the Premiership.

But he also presided over 2 relegations.

Lloyd never got on with the fans, now in hindsight he was also fighting issues within the club, but he was never a particualy good manager, even if revisionists like to argue otherwise.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
But he also presided over 2 relegations.

Lloyd never got on with the fans, now in hindsight he was also fighting issues within the club, but he was never a particualy good manager, even if revisionists like to argue otherwise.

Absolutely 100% agree.

"Barry, give us a wave, Barry Barry give us a wave....BOOOO!"

Also many fans will point to Lloyds appointment and pinpoint that time as the beginning of the clubs slide towards nearly going out of business.

He had a very good scouting system behind him and that helped him no end. Other than that, he was as tactically astute as a rabbit playing tiddlywinks!

Personally, because of the utter contempt he had for the fans, he should never have been allowed anywhere near the club again.

For the 633rd time......

we were told by Barclays bank to realise any assett and offer that we had sitting on teh table at the time. At the time mark Lawrenson (then Oxford manager in Div 1 and bankrolled by Robert Maxwell) had made an exploratory enquiry about Saunders and mentioned £60k. Barclays told Lloyd to take it so we could make the next payment that was owed on the Goldstone mortagage that was enabling the club to exist.

Absolutely 100% agree.

"Barry, give us a wave, Barry Barry give us a wave....BOOOO!"

Also many fans will point to Lloyds appointment and pinpoint that time as the beginning of the clubs slide towards nearly going out of business.

He had a very good scouting system behind him and that helped him no end. Other than that, he was as tactically astute as a rabbit playing tiddlywinks!

Personally, because of the utter contempt he had for the fans, he should never have been allowed anywhere near the club again.

But he did archer a black eye (allegedly) :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here