Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Lloyd was a good manager.

Given the dire situation that Lloyd eventually worked under, one cannot argue that Lloyd has to be recognised as a good manager. As with most managers bad players were signed but he signed some absolute gems. P-oyet has signed or taken on loan players who can hardly be described as brilliant plus some have spent most of their time injured.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
had a eye for a striker! LLOYD OUT!!!!!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't agree. I was not impressed at all with Barry Lloyd. He was an Bureaucrat rather than a Manager. And an exponent of percentage play.

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Every thing about the Lloyd era after the Play off final stinks to high heaven,i maintain he could (although he signed some bad ones) know a Striker......but was he a good manager?

Subs & Lloyd?
Wendy Wilkins & Codpiece?
Too much of the NON league about him,bit like some of our coaches until Gus had finally been allowed to do what no manager for years before him was allowed to do-change them............

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Given the dire situation that Lloyd eventually worked under, one cannot argue that Lloyd has to be recognised as a good manager. As with most managers bad players were signed but he signed some absolute gems. P-oyet has signed or taken on loan players who can hardly be described as brilliant plus some have spent most of their time injured.

Utter rubbish

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Barry Lloyd took me to Wembley with the Albion, I'll not slag the man off.

Exactly, christ how many times have this club been in the top flight or come very close to being in the top flight in its 110 year existence? By that token he is one of the most significant and important managers in the history of Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Barry Lloyd took me to Wembley with the Albion, I'll not slag the man off.

The football was awful. The win against Ipswich to make the play-offs was a desperate affair which followed a double figure run without a win. The play-off semi's against a jaded Millwall were the best of the season then back to the usual rubbish. His ability to sign players the were any good were about 1 in 8 imo. He was continually signing non-league rubbish.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Exactly, christ how many times have this club been in the top flight or come very close to being in the top flight in its 110 year existence? By that token he is one of the most significant and important managers in the history of Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club.

True - and he presided over the last of the happier years at the Goldstone. I'll never forget promotion from the old L2 against Bristol Rovers.

Bremner - suicidal flying header!!!!

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
The football was awful. The win against Ipswich to make the play-offs was a desperate affair which followed a double figure run without a win. The play-off semi's against a jaded Millwall were the best of the season then back to the usual rubbish. His ability to sign players the were any good were about 1 in 8 imo. He was continually signing non-league rubbish.

True - he signed a few duffs, but also found a few gems.

Hopefully Poyet can emulate him and get us to the play-offs in the next few seasons????

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Tell you what Looney, I don't often agree with what you post, but you've hit the nail on the head.

His good signings were stumbled upon by luck and the style of football we played when Lloyd was in charge was abysmal...hoof hoof hoof all the time to a short arse like Tiltman.

I get sick to the back teeth of hearing people bang on about how well he did on a shoestring. If you look at the money he blew on really really bad players, it makes you realise that the myth behind him being a good scout is actually crap and that was proven when he was here more recently as head scout.

Clearly those looking back at his tenure with fondness can't have been to many games as I followed the Albion up and down the country when he was manager, and other than Case's last few games and McGhee's last 6 months, the football was shit.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think he did a good job amd as you say is the only Albion manager that has taken me to wembley to see the albion. Lets see Poyet manage that.

Only then will Poyet be in the same league

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Tell you what Looney, I don't often agree with what you post, but you've hit the nail on the head.

His good signings were stumbled upon by luck and the style of football we played when Lloyd was in charge was abysmal...hoof hoof hoof all the time to a short arse like Tiltman.

I get sick to the back teeth of hearing people bang on about how well he did on a shoestring. If you look at the money he blew on really really bad players, it makes you realise that the myth behind him being a good scout is actually crap and that was proven when he was here more recently as head scout.

Clearly those looking back at his tenure with fondness can't have been to many games as I followed the Albion up and down the country when he was manager, and other than Case's last few games and McGhee's last 6 months, the football was shit.

You're not the only one to have followed the Albion home and away in that period. I went to every game home and away one season.

Yes the style wasn't all that - but few lower league teams played like Barcelona in those days. But we always competed and had plenty of shots on goal - and moments like Garry Nelson's goal at Brenford provided me with plenty of really great memories before football went sterile and un terraced.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Always amazes me how Mullery got the bullet halfway through the season with Albion in 15th place, eight points clear of the relegation (having had next to no money to spend, and having to release lots of first team regulars). In stepped Lloyd who took 15 matches to win a match. Yet it seems it's Mullery who is always blamed for things going pear-shaped post-Cattlin.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Maybe not our greatest manager but not only did he manage this club through some of it's worst times he got us promoted and into a Wembley play off final. When you look at what most of his successors achieved (bugger all in the main) it's very hard to judge the man on the results of the later stages of his stewardship. After all, Mickey soon became Thickey on his return so I think people need to keep some perspective.

Suppose we struggle next season ? We thought we were on a winner with Slade for example after his saviour act but a few months later what happened ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Always amazes me how Mullery got the bullet halfway through the season with Albion in 15th place, eight points clear of the relegation (having had next to no money to spend, and having to release lots of first team regulars). In stepped Lloyd who took 15 matches to win a match. Yet it seems it's Mullery who is always blamed for things going pear-shaped post-Cattlin.

Mullery was too loud, probably upset too many people on the board. You have to face a fact though, how well would he have done in his first stint when he was bankrolled by Mike Bamber and co ? He did nothing with any of the teams he subsequently managed did he ?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think next season will be Poyets last, not through really poor results it could well just be time for a change again to make that final push to the promised land. I just believe it may be slightly beyond Gus's reach at this stage in his managerial career.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I would say at best he was an average manager. Some of his signings were excellent, some were a joke. Some of the football we played was o.k., some was dismal. We made the play-offs with a minus goal difference.
His man management left a lot to be desired at times - i.e. the way he treated Garry Nelson. We kept him on past his sell-by date. And he talked a load of bollocks.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I would say at best he was an average manager. Some of his signings were excellent, some were a joke. Some of the football we played was o.k., some was dismal. We made the play-offs with a minus goal difference.
His man management left a lot to be desired at times - i.e. the way he treated Garry Nelson. We kept him on past his sell-by date. And he talked a load of bollocks.

Bear in mind you've only heard Nelson's version of events though, if Lloyd gave his side I have a feeling it would be rather different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here