Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Lloyd on the look out for foreign talent!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
From the Argus. Not sure about 'mixed reception' most people seemed positive about Lloyd becoming chief scout:

-------

New Albion chief scout to seek foreign stars

Barry Lloyd revealed today that he will be dipping again into the foreign markets on his return to Albion after a 14-year absence.

Lloyd's comeback as full-time chief scout, which received a mixed reaction from fans when announced yesterday morning on The Argus website, follows his spell as manager from 1987 to 1993.

He pioneered the Seagulls' move into the foreign transfer market, capturing the likes of European Cup winner Stefan Iovan and Soviet international Sergei Gotsmanov.

advertisementThe 58-year-old plans to cast his scouting net far and wide again to help find players for boss Dean Wilkins, his captain when Albion reached the Wembley play-off final in 1990-91.

Lloyd said: "My job is to improve the scouting network and we are also going to broaden our horizons.

"We won't be just watching things in this country. I looked abroad when I was manager and, lo and behold, found Dean Wilkins in Holland, so it is somewhat ironic.

"We know how many players there are in the Premiership now who come from foreign countries. Quite frankly, the standards in the UK are unfortunately often not quite what we want."

Lloyd's appointment lightens the workload for Wilkins and his assistant Dean White, who became chief scout under former boss Mark McGhee prior to his promotion.

"There are 200 agents in this country now and the two Deans are pestered day in and day out," Lloyd said. "I hope by playing my part I will be able to take a little bit of the pressure off them and they can concentrate more on what they are good at."

Chairman Dick Knight, instrumental in Lloyd's appointment, said: "Barry found our famous front duo - Mike Small from a club in Greece and John Byrne from Le Havre - and he brought Dean (Wilkins) to the club.

"They have worked together in the past and that is very useful. It's his pure scouting experience I want.

"He loves the prospect of it. He knows the club inside out and it is nice to welcome him back into the club family but in a very different job to the one he had before."

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Aren't we all? :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here