Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Bish Bosh said:
Are the stories that:

a) LLoyd tried to set up a move to Beeding cement works

b) He vetoed an earlier attempt to sell the Goldstone

True?

Harty?...or anyone else who knows.

The Upper Beeding Cement Works thing was a fairly open plan. The rumour years later was all the plans were done and documents in place for us to move ahead with getting planning permission, but a certain Mr W Archer would not sign the necessary paper work.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Bish Bosh

Correct on both counts.

I now concede that Falmer is the way forward however in a perfect world I think the Albion would now be in a much better state, perhaps even Premiership, had they gone with Barry's plan for Beeding cement works.
It was in conjunction with Pepsi Cola, ie they put up a vast amount of dosh for product placement etc, and almost all of the Albion's expenditure could have been covered by operational income as it didn't have to be paid until they had been at the stadium for 3 full seasons.
And I kid you not one of the ways it would have been paid for is a number of Pepsi backed summer gigs, including the likes of Madonna, The Stomes and Neil Diamond.

As for blocking the sale of the Goldstone, I understand at one point Baz pinned Belotti to the boardroom wall by the throat, shortly before he got the sack!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Barry Lloyd should write a book about his managership with us.. would be well worth a read

During the long time he was at the Goldstone, it was inevitable he would make some duff signings. However, the good one's far outweighed the bad...Nelson, Small, Byrne, Bissett, Dublin, Pates, Beeney to name but a few.During his whole time at the Goldstone, the club was in turmoil through no fault of his own. Right from the austerity penny pinching of the Bedson era through to the early days of Archer and Bellotti he somehow managed one promotion plus took us to play off final at Wembley. He kept us in what is now the championship for four seasons which is no mean fete. Ian: I think you'll find it was Archer who he nailed to the wall. ;) For that alone, he should be an Albion legend. Some years after he left the Goldstone he took charge of Worthing for a second spell when they were going through difficult times. Once again, he was shabily treated IMO when Alan Pook took control, but that's another story. He bears no ill feeling though and can always be seen on the North terrace at Woodside Road when Worthing are at home. He has a good knowledge of the local game. The Albion could do a lot worse than use his services as a local scout. Then again, some people only remember him for Richard Tiltman.....???

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Lloyds record overall in diffucult circumstances was very good. Ok, there was the Dean Saunders thing, but then he got Micky Small on a free and sold him a year later to the Hammers for a £400k profit.

A lot of the stick he has taken over the years is unfair.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He has a talent for spotting players, we should be using his skills if he is willing to do it for us imo

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
GUNTER said:
Lloyds record overall in diffucult circumstances was very good. Ok, there was the Dean Saunders thing, but then he got Micky Small on a free and sold him a year later to the Hammers for a £400k profit.

A lot of the stick he has taken over the years is unfair.
I think Lloyd was a fairly good manager. His troubles with Garry Nelson stem from the fact that he inherited a bloated wage bill which caused resentment when he brought in players like Garry Nelson who were the big reason we got promoted but were earning a fraction of the salaries of the older players like Gatting and Pearce. He obviously didn't manage this problem particularly well.

And please, can we get away from this Dean Saunders thing? That was entirely Mullery's fault. Afterall, he inherited a quality team from Cattlin including a strike force of Connor and Saunders (possibly the most feared in the division) and stuck Saunders on the left wing where he was VERY ordinary. Then we were forced to sell by the taxman and because of Saunders's form (thanks to Mullery), we got buttons for the lad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here