Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Lloyd - liquid lunch?

N

Nwanko

Mr Charisma has either spent a few hours at the dentist this morning or been enjoying the Yorkshire hospitality a bit too much at lunch-time...

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I like Lloyd. He did well as manager taking us within a whisker of the then first division (now Premiership) on a limited budget. He was unloved by the fans though.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Didn't hear him today obviously, but he always seems to stumble though his sentences, not knowing where he's going or why. :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Big Bad Baz made some mistakes in his 7 years he was in charge, but overall his good signings (Nelson, Gotsmanov, Flash, Iovan, Codpiece, Rougvie! etc) outweighed the bad.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I know personally that he did not have the confidence of the players when he managed them. Couldn't look them in the eyes when he gave them 'orders'.
Was one of the weakest managers in the 35 years I have supported. Brought in some crap players like Richard Tiltman.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Uncle C said:
Was one of the weakest managers in the 35 years I have supported. Brought in some crap players like Richard Tiltman.

I'd always hated him for this. However I am sure I read somewhere recently that Titman (sic) was only played instead of Saunders as a cost saving exercise; because the club couldn't afford Saunders' appearance money! Hence also his tranfer to Oxford for buttons.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He had to slash the wage bill. If he had come in when we had some money I think he would have done OK.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
How surreal all these years later and I'm defending Baz. Picked him up at 7.30am yesterday and at no point did he even go near a pub, sitting next to him on press gantry I personally think he did a good job , making some good points.
At least he doesn't shop at the Goldstone Retail Park but that's another story.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Harty said:
At least he doesn't shop at the Goldstone Retail Park but that's another story.
Yesterday you said that was a personal thing and if anyone you knew did it you wouldn't hsout scab. ???

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Harty - can back you up on the Baz story as a Leeds supporting acquaintance of ours drove Barry home last night. Said Baz was a really nice bloke as well.

Anyway, given that he is having trouble with his words, does he have an illness or anything? Obviously he might not want everyone to know but it would put an end to these stories once and for all.

PS: Our friend was full of himself this morning as he got to met Mick Jones after the game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I couldn't stand Lloyd when he was manager and thought he was in the job too long.

However, with hindsight, I reckon he was undervalued by all of us. Getting the side to the brink of the Premiership was a big acheievement when you look at what our other managers achieved afterwards (until Mikcy).

He was unlucky to be the guy who had to restructure the club after the glory days, although he did sow the seeds of his own unpopularity to an extent by the way he treated the likes of Saunders and, later, Garry Nelson.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
trueblue said:
I couldn't stand Lloyd when he was manager and thought he was in the job too long.

However, with hindsight, I reckon he was undervalued by all of us. Getting the side to the brink of the Premiership was a big acheievement when you look at what our other managers achieved afterwards (until Mikcy).

He was unlucky to be the guy who had to restructure the club after the glory days, although he did sow the seeds of his own unpopularity to an extent by the way he treated the likes of Saunders and, later, Garry Nelson.

Put away the new rose tinted specs. He may be a nice bloke, he may talk sense as a co-commentator, he may even be on the wagon, but he was still a crap league club manager.

Besides Archer and Bellotti it's difficult to remember anyone getting as much stick in the West Stand.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Are the stories that:

a) LLoyd tried to set up a move to Beeding cement works

b) He vetoed an earlier attempt to sell the Goldstone

True?

Harty?...or anyone else who knows.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Harty, you tell Bazza that there is still a desk in this corner of Canada that has an autographed photo of the great man as its centrepiece.

Signed: the only guy left standing at Port Vale during the "sit down if you want Lloyd out chant."

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here