Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Hearn - Administration is Cheating

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
It certainly doesn't seem fair that Southampton are allowed to spend a million on a player just a few months after having points deducted for going into adminstration.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
how about automatic relegation in that season plus -10 points in following season, so that they have to suffer in the next division also, its this get the 10 point deduction now to maybe get relegated then start afresh that shouldnt be allowed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It certainly doesn't seem fair that Southampton are allowed to spend a million on a player just a few months after having points deducted for going into adminstration.

That absolutely stank, and was right up there with Leeds announcing an annual profit of of £4.5 million for the period-ending June 2008, after being in administration in 2007.

Fuckers, the lot of em.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the same will happen with Palace somebody will buy them out of administration very cheaply and then spend megabucks getting them back to challenging for promotion from whichever division they are in next season.

The problem is that you cannot stop a new owner spending his money as he will always say that is an infringement of trade as what happened before he bought the club is not his responsibility and that he would probably have done things differently.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I think the same will happen with Palace somebody will buy them out of administration very cheaply and then spend megabucks getting them back to challenging for promotion from whichever division they are in next season.

The problem is that you cannot stop a new owner spending his money as he will always say that is an infringement of trade as what happened before he bought the club is not his responsibility and that he would probably have done things differently.

You're probably right but maybe some kind of transfer embargo in the long-term might be workable for a team that goes into administration?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think that the best suggestion so far is automatic relegation that season and 10 point deduction the following season.

Even that isn't really enough though. It hasn't really hurt Southampton. As you've said its the 'restraint of trade' issue that's the problem. Once the club comes out of admin, they are normally trading as a completely new company - one which cannot legally be punished for the mistakes of a previous now-defunct entity.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Even that isn't really enough though. It hasn't really hurt Southampton. As you've said its the 'restraint of trade' issue that's the problem. Once the club comes out of admin, they are normally trading as a completely new company - one which cannot legally be punished for the mistakes of a previous now-defunct entity.

Would that be an issue if a company was sold with a 10 or 20 point deduction in place for the next season as that would then be a condition known to the new buyer and being a condition of their participation in the league. I would think that the leagues argument would be we can't stop you buying the company but we can stop that league registration number participating in OUR league.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I seem to recall Leicester doing the same thing as Southampton a few years ago, they went into administration and had their debts wiped out, then carried on as if nothing had happened.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think that the best suggestion so far is automatic relegation that season and 10 point deduction the following season.

automatic relegation and a 30 point deduction the following season is a better option.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I fear it will take a high profile club being shut down before clubs sit up and take notice. That or the company joins the football league and if it is then shut down the new company is treated as a new club and starts from the conferance.

It's sickening to think of how many businesses have lost out as creditors to the actions of irresponsible chairman. Leeds and Southampton are but two examples of clubs who have screwed creditors then weeks later splashed the cash. Action needs to be taken as there is no serious deterant to irresponsibly running a football club

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm not too sure 'restraint of trade' would be an issue. As a league member you are signed up to abide by the league's decisions. If the league then decide to impose something resulting from a democratic mandate what's the problem?

This has happened in the past and as a result there are a number of anomalies between the football world and the real world of business. The one I mentioned regarding a salary cap in League 2 is an example. This could be deemed a restraint of trade.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I seem to recall Leicester doing the same thing as Southampton a few years ago, they went into administration and had their debts wiped out, then carried on as if nothing had happened.

I am sure it was Leicester's actions which brought about the 10 point deduction.

mongoose

Jul 24, 2007
That absolutely stank, and was right up there with Leeds announcing an annual profit of of £4.5 million for the period-ending June 2008, after being in administration in 2007.

Fuckers, the lot of em.

yeah, its these two incidents that really bug me. it just looks like administration makes things way too easy. if one month a club can't pay debts they shouldn't be able to go out and spend a million on a player the next having had those debts written off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here