Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barnes

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Barnes didnt sign a new contract because he was offered less than he was on previously... should have kept hold of him, he would have relished today's game and offered more than rodney.
An experienced championship player against a player who hasn't played in uk at all. I know who I'd prefer

And you know this how?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was like most very happy with the signing of cms and I have never wanted a Brighton player to succeed as much as him his effort is unquestionable.
No doubt, we nearly all feel the same there. What pisses me off is people pretending they'd have chosen Murray over CMS when the decision was made. There's no point saying we should have had both, we couldn't afford both at the time.

My point being that if we had had 30 plus goal scorer last season we wouldn't have been in the play offs we would have won the league! We create loads of chances but are just too profligate.
My point is that it's highly unlikely Murray would have scored anywhere near 30 for us. Remember, he only scored 6 for Palace in the previous season. Six! And last season we weren't creating loads of chances - there were regular threads on here criticising Poyet's tactics, as we'd sometimes only have 1 shot all game.

I know it's in the past and can't be changed but it still erks as does that dark night in May.
Yes it does erk. It's more than a bit annoying that a striker we could have easily held on to went on to have such a great season for a rival club. Of course we wish we'd kept him. But at the time we got CMS instead, we couldn't afford both, and thought we had the better end of the deal.

If any wise NSC posters said at the time that we should have kept Murray instead of buying CMS, then fair play (and please post a quote from back then). I'm just so fed up of all the wise guys saying how stupid Poyet was for letting Murray go.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Barnes didnt sign a new contract because he was offered less than he was on previously... should have kept hold of him,

And our survey says...
bygraves_duhduhh.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My point is that it's highly unlikely Murray would have scored anywhere near 30 for us. Remember, he only scored 6 for Palace in the previous season. Six! And last season we weren't creating loads of chances - there were regular threads on here criticising Poyet's tactics, as we'd sometimes only have 1 shot all game.

While I'm agreeing with your general point, I don't believe shooting was that big a problem last season (there were 'no plan b' complaints, and some fed up with the patient keep possession/pass it round the defence tactic). There was only one game when we had no shots, there were only three other games where we had fewer than 5 shots, and we averaged 10.5 shots per game (this season it is currently 13.6, though shots on target this season is 3.8 per game v 5.3 last season).

It was the season before when there were complaints about lack of shots, with 8 games with fewer than 5 shots, and we averaged 8.3 shots per game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
While I'm agreeing with your general point, I don't believe shooting was that big a problem last season
I assume we had less chances in the first half of the season than the second half. And we don't really need to complain about not having Murray in the second half, as we had Ulloa. It was the first half where having Murray could have been a big benefit.

What were the stats for shots per game in the first half of the season, compared to Palace?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I assume we had less chances in the first half of the season than the second half. And we don't really need to complain about not having Murray in the second half, as we had Ulloa. It was the first half where having Murray could have been a big benefit.

What were the stats for shots per game in the first half of the season, compared to Palace?

Despite hitting a season high (21 shots v Blackpool) we averaged 8.6 shots per game in the first 23 games. Palace averaged 9.3 for their first 23 games.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm sure that had Barnes agreed an extension to his contract with a minimal rise then the club would have agreed it. He didn't want to, so he went.

I think he would have scored more than Obika, but was it worth the risk? I can't blame the club for not opening the chequebook. They made a judgement call. Got to trust them with these matters. They haven't done so bad. We are still in with a shout.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
we averaged 8.6 shots per game in the first 23 games. Palace averaged 9.3 for their first 23 games.
There you go, just like what I said :D :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here