Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Was on a train to Stockport after the game and Big Pole was on the train too (made my little boys day). He said the sending off changed the game, the pich was shit and we couldn't pass on it, and that they were, shall we say, a bit rough!!! When I asked him if it was a red card, he said "oh yeah, he got him".

Why was TK on a train to Stockport ?

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
To understand the Barnes sending off today you have to go back a few minutes, when he was the victim of a very bad tackle that earned a yellow card. It did seem from that point on that Barnes was looking for some sort of retribution.

As for the sending off incident, Barnes was defending the ball towards our own goal line, he seemed to have got the better of the attacker and should have just shepherded the ball out of play for a goal kick. Instead, the attacker touched Barnes who chose to go down (quite easily in my book) looking for a free kick. Only Barnes can explain why he did this, and I expect only Gus will ever know. The ref played on and Barnes got to his feet and it seems that the red mist had descended as a result of not getting the free kick he thought he deserved. It was a bad tackle, but, in my opinion, no worse than the one he was a victim of earlier. But Barnes got a straight red.

I didn't see it but my lad said that he thought Barnes gave him a kick afterwards as well, and this seems to be supported by the BBC report of the match. If so, then he is a fool; need to see it on TV tonight.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Another point that occurred to me after posting is that Greer was much older and showing his petulance, Barnes is still young and still improving, and is more likely to curb his petulance.

But to your question, I disagree. a) No one is condoning compromising our position due to consistent or regular sheer stupidity or petulance, within reason (sometimes points are lost due to mistakes through immaturity or petulance, and I think once in a while is not ideal but acceptable because they are human beings) . b) the question is does barnes compromise our league position through consistent or regular sheer stupidity or petulance and the answer to that for me, is no.

20 goals in league one, top scorer last season, 7 goals so far this season with 5 assists, versatility on the pitch playing for the team doing what us as of him, man of the match 3 times (Only three players have more this season). His petulance came when we were 1-0 down in the 84th competitive game since we last came from behind to win (in normal time), at a ground we've never won at, against a team that is high in the form table over the last 8 games.

No excuses for what he did, but his petulance hasn't cost us our league position in the long run.

Hopefully not !

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Good question. Didn't ask, wish I had now. He was still in his tracksuit didn't look as if he'd had a shower (that's a guess by the way). He was going somewhere else as he went to the front of the station, checked the boards and went back to the platforms. Don't forget he spent about 3 years at MUFC so he must have lots of friends up North, may even own a house there?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Was on a train to Stockport after the game and Big Pole was on the train too (made my little boys day). He said the sending off changed the game, the pich was shit and we couldn't pass on it, and that they were, shall we say, a bit rough!!! When I asked him if it was a red card, he said "oh yeah, he got him".

This had me thinking would a club deliberately rough the pitch up after the last home game to stop the ball rolling true and then roll it flat again after we have played them as in most cases it would be 2 weeks before and after our game.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Do you know what. As soon as TK said that I had the same thought. So I'm glad you posted that, in case I was just having evil thoughts!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Another point that occurred to me after posting is that Greer was much older and showing his petulance, Barnes is still young and still improving, and is more likely to curb his petulance.

But to your question, I disagree. a) No one is condoning compromising our position due to consistent or regular sheer stupidity or petulance, within reason (sometimes points are lost due to mistakes through immaturity or petulance, and I think once in a while is not ideal but acceptable because they are human beings) . b) the question is does barnes compromise our league position through consistent or regular sheer stupidity or petulance and the answer to that for me, is no.

20 goals in league one, top scorer last season, 7 goals so far this season with 5 assists, versatility on the pitch playing for the team doing what us as of him, man of the match 3 times (Only three players have more this season). His petulance came when we were 1-0 down in the 84th competitive game since we last came from behind to win (in normal time), at a ground we've never won at, against a team that is high in the form table over the last 8 games.

No excuses for what he did, but his petulance hasn't cost us our league position in the long run.

Except... his petulance almost certainly cost us 1 or 3 points, which could be the difference between making or not making the playoffs.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Such as?

In 7 out of our 29 games this season he has tried other players. Gus keeps going back to Barnes.

Doesn't mean he is correct, does it?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Except... his petulance almost certainly cost us 1 or 3 points, which could be the difference between making or not making the playoffs.

So if we miss out by a point this year, your going to hold it against Barnes for his red today????

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So if we miss out by a point this year, your going to hold it against Barnes for his red today????

Look, we have better strikers - CMS and Hoskins - sitting on the bench. We have better midfielders sitting on the bench - Vicente, LuaLua. Barnes is a reasonably good player, but with our squad we should be comfortably in the playoff spots (at least), and Gus' negative attitude and insistence on persevering with Barnes has cost us dear again.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Look, we have better strikers - CMS and Hoskins - sitting on the bench. We have better midfielders sitting on the bench - Vicente, LuaLua. Barnes is a reasonably good player, but with our squad we should be comfortably in the playoff spots (at least), and Gus' negative attitude and insistence on persevering with Barnes has cost us dear again.

Here, here.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

What about Bolton? on paper they have a great squad but they aint pulling up and trees.

Im not saying i would play barnes, as im one of his critics at times, but we have dropped plenty of points this season. Another blip today wont cost us promotion but add all the blips up and it definitely will..
Whether we like it or not, Gus defends from the front, he aint for changing. What makes me laugh is that people keep banging on about CMS and Ulloa playing together.....Cant see it under Poyet.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What about Bolton? on paper they have a great squad but they aint pulling up and trees.

Im not saying i would play barnes, as im one of his critics at times, but we have dropped plenty of points this season. Another blip today wont cost us promotion but add all the blips up and it definitely will..
Whether we like it or not, Gus defends from the front, he aint for changing. What makes me laugh is that people keep banging on about CMS and Ulloa playing together.....Cant see it under Poyet.

Well, Gus said he wanted to play that pairing, that's why people keep talking about it. Perhaps he should stick to his word!?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why are we drawing so many games? Because Gus won't use the attacking resources at his disposal to their fullest. This, IMHO, is his mistake.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Well, Gus said he wanted to play that pairing, that's why people keep talking about it. Perhaps he should stick to his word!?

Perhaps you heard something i havent..........as far as i was aware, gus like to play 1 up front and 5 across the middle with 1/2 supporting the front man. Of course i might be wrong.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Why are we drawing so many games? Because Gus won't use the attacking resources at his disposal to their fullest. This, IMHO, is his mistake.

He just likes to play a certain formation......its his team and he makes the rules.

By the way, i certainly dont always like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here