Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes' Penalty - Superb!

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Just a great penalty, beat Reina all ends up :albion2:

I think he may have got last season's misses out of his system now, definitely our No.1 penalty taker, if he's on the pitch!

Also thought he looked very hungry when he came on and was almost looking for the ball in the midfield areas.

Impact sub on Friday or starter?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barnes should be an automatic starter as often as possible IMHO. He'll always be there or thereabouts when the chances go begging. And a cracking penalty tonight!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He took five penalties and scored from 4 of them last season, he wasn't one who needed to get misses out of his system. People seem to focus on the team problem with penalties last season and ignore both Barnes and Wood had very good records from the spot yast season..

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
He took five penalties and scored from 4 of them last season, he wasn't one who needed to get misses out of his system. People seem to focus on the team problem with penalties last season and ignore both Barnes and Wood had very good records from the spot yast season..

Technically he missed 2 if you don't count the one he headed in on the rebound but yeah much improved this season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Awaits Mr.Burns to tell us, it "Only looked a good penalty because the keeper didn't save it" or some such bullshit.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I think half the problem was when we had penalties missed when he was on the bench. Everyone jumped to the conclusion that we didn't have a penalty taker in the side

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Awaits Mr.Burns to tell us, it "Only looked a good penalty because the keeper didn't save it" or some such bullshit.

There's always some negative spin from you it seems.

Brilliant penalty, and a very good cameo performance. I think he looked good in the withdrawn role against Sunderland and played it well again tonight, his quality on the ball is deffinitely improving and he is starting to look a really good player in this team.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Played well and a superb Penner.

Lots of people seem to dislike him but IMO he has been solid so far and deserves some starts.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There's always some negative spin from you it seems.

Brilliant penalty, and a very good cameo performance. I think he looked good in the withdrawn role against Sunderland and played it well again tonight, his quality on the ball is deffinitely improving and he is starting to look a really good player in this team.

Are you THICK?

And yes, agreed. Great pen, and he played very well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watched the league cup show this morning and jonathon pearce seemed surprised Barnes was on the bench. I thought he made Barnes sound like a star player the way he mentioned we left our top scorer on the bench.

I think he deserves praise for not letting reina's mind games get to him. A lot of our missed penalties seemed to coincide with keepers cleaning their boots after the ball has been placed on the spot, kicking the post, coming off his line to check the placing of the ball etc. Barnes seemed to play along, and didn't place the ball until reina was set, after he (Barnes) had cleaned his own boots.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Yes, it was an unstoppable penalty.

But the runup was weird.

The only place he could hit it running up like that was to the keepers right, all he needed to do was misshit it slightly and Reina would would have saved it or it would have missed the goal.

Reina knew exactly where it was going, just was unstoppable this time.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
One thing though; there is absolutely no way that Barnes should have celebrated as he did while there was still a chance to equalise. Quick fist pump while SPRINTING to get the ball out of the net should have been the extent of it. Bet Gus was livid. Brainfart by Ashley. Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
One thing though; there is absolutely no way that Barnes should have celebrated as he did while there was still a chance to equalise. Quick fist pump while SPRINTING to get the ball out of the net should have been the extent of it. Bet Gus was livid. Brainfart by Ashley. Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere.

Yep - should have done a Goaldown Retriever, as I believe they are known. Can't hold it against him though...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here