Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes appeal being considered

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I doubt it but you never know.

He did not appear to stamp on the player, but he did raise his leg prior to the tackle coming in (I think to try to get out of the way of a potential ankle breaker). Once he did that, I think he was doomed personally. Quite why the other player got away with the tackle and the reaction is another matter entirely.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Don't think this will help very much!!!!

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
that picture is very annoying and i think gives a false impression of what happened. but like rooney on carvalho in the world cup (which looked much worse than AB's) - if you force someone to jump in the air to avoid you sliding in you have to come down again somewhere. yes - maybe he could have tried to avoid him - but who knows how hard that is to do. and then to have a hand round your throat - and still not react to it. how could he be sent off and no action on the other guy? joke.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Is he on his way up or down? Is he bending his leg up or down? What way was his heading moving?

1 still image doesn't show what is happening.

Sent by yolk folk

This is possibly the basis of the appeal, as there are no certain conclusions that can be an outright red card.
Hopefully the FA will decide that it was an avoiding jump and that there was no intentional malice. If anything the Burnley player should be retrospectively cautioned for his response to Barnes.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That picture proves nothing other than Barnes had to take to the air to avoid being clattered by the oaf in yellow. However I cannot see the card being rescinded as the FA are morons.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I personally think he has no chance of winning an appeal - even if he'd been on the other side of the pitch the FA are never going to give a club with a few issues now in terms of refereeing decisions, any ammunition which would bolster their claims.

Also the other guy wont get anything restrospective because the referee must have seen it and chosen not to act. Retrospective punishment is only when the ref doesnt see it. Even the pillock from saturday couldnt claim to have not seen it.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
There does not have to be intent. There just has to be "serious foul play" or "violent conduct".
Law 12 - Foul play
A player shall be sent off the field of play and shown the red card, if, in the opinion of the referee, he:
(a) is guilty of violent conduct;
(b) is guilty of serious foul play;
(c) uses foul or abusive language;
(d) is guilty of a second cautionable offense after having received a caution.

However, you see what you want to see.........................................

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The club would be MAD to appeal it. Not a chance it will be overturned, and with us keep repeating the Southampton one, it will only add to our problems.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They say a picture paints a thousand words.

No it fecking doesn't.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Hmmmm........................... two sending offs in the first 20 minutes the day after we are fined £15,000 by the FA for failing to keep our players under control at Southampton (yes I know, mitigating circs and it WAS miles outside the box!!!!! But nevertheless.........)

Who threw that book???????

Cheque book for Mr Bloom!!!!!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There does not have to be intent. There just has to be "serious foul play" or "violent conduct".
Law 12 - Foul play
A player shall be sent off the field of play and shown the red card, if, in the opinion of the referee, he:
(a) is guilty of violent conduct;
(b) is guilty of serious foul play;
(c) uses foul or abusive language;
(d) is guilty of a second cautionable offense after having received a caution.

Sadly, that's the point - the referee's opinion (while he might be a total penis), is all-encompassing and over-riding.

I bet he's loving this attention.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't think this is contradictory but I didn't think Barnes deserved a red at the time or after having seen the Football League Show. However I'd be reluctant to appeal it. The FA will take one look at our discipline this season in terms of cards and side with the ref. Call me paranoid but there is a case for us spending a while taking our medicine however bitter it tastes.

I would be up for the whole incident including the retaliation being referred much like a cite in rugby as this would almost certainly result in retrospective action against Burnley's player and a downgrade in Mr Pawson's refereeing stock. Unfortunately you can't cite in football.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sadly, that's the point - the referee's opinion (while he might be a total penis), is all-encompassing and over-riding.

I bet he's loving this attention.

Course he is. Im sure him and his assistants were having a mutual masturbation/fellatio after that game.

Amexican

May 21, 2011
What that picture clearly shows is the Burnley player coming from behind, off the ground, studs showing...verdict RED card.

Do we stand a chance with an appeal?...sadly absolutely NOT..as a one off incident maybe, but with our record this season, a recent fine and constant whingeing I am afraid we will be made further example of.

Best to forget this, forget the Southampton 'penalty' and move on.

Andy Naylor tweet:-

[MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus
Andy Naylor
Ex Premier League ref Dermot Gallagher says Barnes deserved his red but McCann was lucky not to be sent-off for his reaction. #bhafc
33 minutes ago via web

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here