Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bargain Hunt - the point?

This show occurs to me as a bit of a one-oared rowboat really.
I mean, the ever-changing punters always LOSE money on what they take to auction. :glare:

Hardly good examples of "bargain hunting" here, are they?

You get the items supposedly as deals on things with potentially lucrative possibilities, then the auction shows them getting flogged for less!

Is this just so the Terry Thomas-like pooftah can make 'knowing' faces at the camera?? :wink: ???

The concept surely, ought to be for a profit to be garnered :shrug:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Surely the whole point is that the contestants have "really enjoyed the day anyway".

Such a controversial, white-knuckle revelation always leaves the viewers gasping with incredulity, and ensures Bargain Hunt never ceases to shock. I'm still waiting for a rerun of the infamous "Mike Hunt" episode when they auctioned an old 1930s microphone for a £3.20 loss.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
none whatsoever..... oh btw watching countdown at 5am today these were the 1st 5 letters out of the hat that best describes these bargain gash in the twattic type shows. ile use upper case see how you get on - CNUTS oh did we titter

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I mean, the ever-changing punters always LOSE money on what they take to auction. :glare:

You get the items supposedly as deals on things with potentially lucrative possibilities, then the auction shows them getting flogged for less!

Is this just so the Terry Thomas-like pooftah can make 'knowing' faces at the camera?? :wink: ???

Its taken you this long to figure it out?

Its because they do it the wrong way round, they shop where the price is high and sell where prices are low, if there were bargins to be had, they would have been picked up by dealers long before the teams and cameras arrive. Most dealers go to an auction to pick up stock, not sell it.

It only continues on TV because its very cheap to make.

Then it's bloody daft to do it that way around, to present a bunch of numbnuts grinning away as they cheerfully represent the art of bad business.
So it's not their money, but it's ultimately still very stupid and only losers can enjoy that concept.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
at least it goes to prove that the average man in the street cannot go to an antiques fair and grab a bargain, these sellers know the worth of what they are selling and if they thought they could get more at auction then they would do it themselves

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Have you tried switching it off and not switching it back on again?

Blimey is that geezer a chutney ferret, girlfriends mum always fancied a dirty weekend with him, sad women.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I mean, the ever-changing punters always LOSE money on what they take to auction. :glare: :

?

The last time I was off sick (diabetes pills not working properly) and this was part of my lunch time entertainment one couple actually WON nearly £200! So it can be done!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't. It was on this morning while I was doing some stuff at home, so I peered at it for a minute and got the name of it off the teletext.
I have seen the presenter on the telly before though, so if that's all he presents then I must have glimpsed it before as well.

I would thoroughly avoid The Jeremy Kyle Show as well if I was you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
An exception that proves the rule. Almost every other time, they lose. The 'winnahs' normally just lose slightly less than the losing losers.

Not surprising as they are buying at 'retail' and selling at 'trade'.

The difference between the teams is the opening haggle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here