Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I quite enjoyed going on the cable cars up the mountain and looking round the fort at the top.

If you've never been before then you should have a walk down Ramblas, yes it's a rip off tourist trap but the kids will like it and there's plenty to look at for 5 minutes before you get bored of it.
In fact, just have a walk around that area in general it's all quite interesting.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
the museum is great i think, worth the entrance fee alone

what else do you want to see in a stadium tour? you get changing rooms, after match press thing, players tunnel, press area and then you get to sit in the stands

what else do you need to see?!

Maybe I went on a bad day then. We only got the away changing room, about 5 yards of the tunnel between there and the media area, and were shepherded straight through the post-match area.

What else do I want to see? The Home changing room at the very least. The whole tunnel, the dugouts ideally - maybe some other tidbits that might be of random interest (groundskeeping etc). Even half the stuff you did get to see was behind glass, so you couldn't actually go in there (tv studio, chapel). I've only ever been on 2 stadium tours (Fulham & Nottingham Forest) so maybe they were just great and the Barca one was par for the course.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Sagrada Familia, Gaudi Park, Miro Museum, Nou Camp and the Olympic stadium are all worth a visit.

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
been several times (can't really help with what to do as all we do is go on the piss!) however have never found Las Ramblas to be any more of a rip off than any other touristy area, the street entertainment is great and free (if you don't take a photo) as for crime, I feel safer walking through Barcelona at night than I do walking through Mini Tirana (or Western Rd Hove as it used to be known)

Oct 25, 2003
yeh i quite regularly walked up las ramblas in the very early hours after clubbing and felt perfectly safe, even amongst the whores and drug dealers

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Definately get cable car or bus to the top of Montjuic, we walked it as we had no idea what to expect and it nearly killed us. Well worth it once at the top though.

We actually only went because we saw on the map there was a park right by our hostel and we wanted a relaxing day having just come back from a week camping at a festival. We were expecting a normal park and instead found ourselves climbing up a huge hill, going into an olympic stadium, seeing a huge palace and watching a diving club train in an open air swimming pool looking over the city.

Barcelona zoo was also pretty good, as well as the previously mentioned Sagrada Familia and Park Guell which were brilliant.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Loved Barcelona when we went. Can't add much to what has already been said, though we didn't experience anything at all crime wise, and didn't feel overly concerned in Las Ramblas.

In fact, after leaving a bag with passports, plane tickets, video camera & 2 phones in a taxi at the airport on the way home, (long story), we got them all back 10 days later as the driver handed the lot into the British Embassy.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Jump on the tourist bus; you can hop on & off wherever you like, there' one every 10 minutes. You see everything.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Beachy - please please be extra careful on the way from the airport to your hotel. Pickpockets and bag snatchers will be targeting you as you're new in town, loaded with cash and cards (not got to the hotel safe yet), and encumbered by heavy cases so can't give chase. Don't fall for the 'I've dropped coins on the floor to distract you' trick on the metro either. Otherwise Barcelona is a great city - enjoy!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One word of advice beware of pick pockets and look after your passport. Photocopy passport and keep all details in your pocket in case yours is stolen as it is a pig swine to get a document to travel home with and I spent all day on Monday getting one after having had my passport stolen in Madrid.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My recommendations would be make full use of the metro, it is an absolute bargain, as is the train from the airport to the city centre.

If you have time, for me the best views are from Mount Tibidabo. There is a funfair and a church on top of the mountain, neither of which would satisfy teenage thrill seekers, but are worth a wander around. Just below at the entrance to the cable car there is this restaurant and bar.

La Venta Restaurant

One side of the road is a bar with an open view of the city below, you really need a head for heights for this one and the other side has a fabulous restaurant (although a little pricey). This is supposed to be a popular hang out for football types, although I have not encountered any here.

enjoy

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well so far so good, not been robbed and went to Sagrada Familia with Mrs Hut but did not go in as it is just a building site really, kids stayed back at the flat so a 90 minute walk back and chilling out with a glass of wine.

Off to the Nou Camp tomorrow...............

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Well so far so good, not been robbed and went to Sagrada Familia with Mrs Hut but did not go in as it is just a building site really, kids stayed back at the flat so a 90 minute walk back and chilling out with a glass of wine.

Off to the Nou Camp tomorrow...............

Camp Nou :p

On a serious note, glad you're enjoying it. Barca is a great city and no more dangerous from a pickpocket POV than any other if you keep your wits and common sense about you.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stop being so picky, we have Barca TV station and the kids were watching so old game as Ronaldinho was playing and when they scored:

GGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

from an ecstatic commentator, ours are so yesterday when there is a goal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here