Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona Under 11's

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
People do actually realise that these are American kids rather than Spanish and English? Here is the original blog where the aforementioned video came from.
Possession Soccer at the Youth Level Video
Very interesting website and well worth a look around.

Speaking as someone who has coached youth soccer in the states,I can tell you that the set up and infrastructure is for the most part suberb, and I can guarantee that they will be a real force in world football in 15-20 years.

The simple reason is that they aRre getting it right at junior level
From the start.I give you one example but feel is key to what's wrong generally over here

Every single kid in a session over there will have their own ball.In all exercises,your moving around,taught to dribble with your head up. I was walking through Buckingham park last week and saw a session where 8 lads were lined up doing a basic one after the other shooting drill-so basically standing still for long periods of time.I bet you they don't do that in Spain.

The emphasis should be to have as many touches of te ball as possible,learning to feel the ball,focusing on turns, was to beat players etc Then small sided possession games, where they end goal isnt always to always get the ball in the net- ie we use to do a session of 5 v 5-the team that had te highest number of completed passes in 1 sequence of possession would not have to pick up the cones.Its amazing what happens when they are not rushing to get te ball up the pitch and actually play football

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
They pass and control the better than the England team

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It's so difficult trying to explain to people the concept of possession and passing. It gets frustrating, sometimes playing football. Some individuals stop as soon as they pass the ball, they don't move - nothing. We sure as hell have the talent in this country, it's the stone-age mentality that if you have the ball YOU must get to the over half ASAP, even if that means hoofing.

This is the U.S.A U11 Barca team, if this is American kids being trained this way, in 10-15 years time, the U.S will have a better team than us unless we begin to review how we play.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It's so difficult trying to explain to people the concept of possession and passing. It gets frustrating, sometimes playing football. Some individuals stop as soon as they pass the ball, they don't move - nothing. We sure as hell have the talent in this country, it's the stone-age mentality that if you have the ball YOU must get to the over half ASAP, even if that means hoofing.

This is the U.S.A U11 Barca team, if this is American kids being trained this way, in 10-15 years time, the U.S will have a better team than us unless we begin to review how we play.

I'm not just saying to big up Saturday Soccer, but I honestly believe that it is heading the right way here. The stuff [MENTION=13434]Dalos[/MENTION] talks about regarding possesion and individual skills is happening every saturday. Yeah they still hoof it now and again, or try and beat one or two too many, but I bet you that by the time my son is playing u11s they will be playing as well as the kids in the USA/Barca video.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I'm not just saying to big up Saturday Soccer, but I honestly believe that it is heading the right way here. The stuff [MENTION=13434]Dalos[/MENTION] talks about regarding possesion and individual skills is happening every saturday. Yeah they still hoof it now and again, or try and beat one or two too many, but I bet you that by the time my son is playing u11s they will be playing as well as the kids in the USA/Barca video.

That's bloody good to hear, I'm glad there's places at the very foundation - and I'm sure your son will be with patience and practice. Just wished we had this sooner...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here