Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Barcelona trip

putthatboarddown

May 23, 2024
We’re planning on visiting Barcelona next April and taking in a match. I have the fixtures and some info from their site but looking for some tips from the good folk of NSC…

When are fixture changes announced?
It looks like the league has a Friday fixture, some Saturday and some Sunday. We will be there for a long weekend but don’t want to miss the fixture if might be Monday for example.

Where is the best place to source tickets?
Direct from the Barca site or elsewhere?

Any recommendations on hotels or places to visit?

Thanks in advance!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I had similar thoughts, but Real Madrid. There for the weekend 18th to 21st October and guess what, no games but they play on the 22nd in the ECL against Dortmund. I presume that any Spanish team in Europe skip their weekend game.
Athletico Madrid have an unconfirmed game v Leganés. Then noticed both Madrid teams at home that week in the ECL. Dortmund and Lille in town. Glad I'm getting out the day they all arrive!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I used AirBnB in Barcelona but you must choose carefully, I didn't, was central but in a box room!

Worst City, other than Rome, for pick pockets in my experience

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I went recently for a long weekend.

Stayed at the Barcelo Raval, which was about 5 minutes walk to La Rambla, but on the "edgy" side of the town centre (equivalent of Shoreditch / Whitechapel in London), so a bit scruffy to walk from but I never felt unsafe. It's a big chain hotel with a polished boutique-y feel, similar to Malmaison, and has a great rooftop bar with decent views of the city (10/11 storeys high). There were loads of tiny, but great quality, restaurants in the streets around.

Everyone was very pleasant (this was only a couple of weeks before the anti-tourist protests) and no pickpockets encountered.

• Barca museum at the Camp Nou is well worth a visit (N.B. that's not where they're playing this season!).
  • Sagrada Familia was interesting to see, but I wouldn't pay to go inside.
  • Parc Guell was good for a wander around for a couple of hours, and great views over the city.
  • Montjuic Castle has some loads of interesting stuff about the history of Barcelona, and you can walk from there to Stadio Olimpico in about 15-20 minutes.
  • Monumental bullring was surprisingly interesting - it's now a concert venue, but still open to wander around and there's a small collection of memorabilia, including 'famous' bulls' heads...
  • Mana 75 is great for Paella (albeit it's not strictly Catalan cuisine...) and it's just near the beach for a postprandial wander / ogle.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007

Barca run a ticket exchange like us when the game is sold out so keep your eye on their website nearer the date.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I have a similar problem: I like going to the races, but my family like to see Slow Horses.

You mean?

1726058783340.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We’re planning on visiting Barcelona next April and taking in a match. I have the fixtures and some info from their site but looking for some tips from the good folk of NSC…

When are fixture changes announced?
It looks like the league has a Friday fixture, some Saturday and some Sunday. We will be there for a long weekend but don’t want to miss the fixture if might be Monday for example.

Any recommendations on hotels or places to visit?

Thanks in advance!
Went in 2018 with my son and it was brilliant. Unfortunately, as they are not playing at Camp Nou this season, quite a bit of what we did won't be relevant to you. For example, there were always tickets available at Camp Nou in the top uncovered tiers on the day, though we managed to get grandstand tickets online about a month before we went. Not sure how that will work in a different ground. Also stayed in a 3 star crash pad that was basic and clean but with very little other facilities, chosen because it was very near the ground. The default TV channel was a Barcelona FC channel and other people staying there were also going to the game.

However:

We did the Barcelona museum as @schmunk says and it is brilliant. Totally worth a visit. Did the outside of Segrada Familiar which is an incredible building but didn't go in due to queue size. That will whet your Gaudi apatite for Park Guell which is very worth a visit. We walked up the hill to it and back down to just see some of the 'ordinary' City. I really enjoyed the Modern Art Museum but it is what is says on the tin. Do not go if you hate modern art! We also had a walk along the beach on the one fine day we were there - it was middle of January and 18 degrees, though it rained for the game, which is why we were pleased to be in the grandstand.

Loads of good local restaurants. Can't remember the Tapas place we went to but it was close to Las Ramblas and there are loads in that area. Also close is Caravelle which does a fantastic brunch and brews its own craft beer - well worth a pint or two before or after dinner.

Get the Barcelona travel app which will give you an interactive map of the excellent subway system.

Keep your wits about you. Pickpockets everywhere.

Oh, and the "beer" in the ground will be non-alcoholic but is sold as beer.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
The boutique hotel La Pau is a wonderful hotel in Barcelona, great central location, good size rooms plus super clean. We managed to get a very good price as it had recently opened, hopefully it stays reasonably priced. It has 5 star Google rating and 9.6 Booking. hotel website

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003

Stayed at the Barcelo Raval, which was about 5 minutes walk to La Rambla, but on the "edgy" side of the town centre (equivalent of Shoreditch / Whitechapel in London), so a bit scruffy to walk from but I never felt unsafe. It's a big chain hotel with a polished boutique-y feel, similar to Malmaison, and has a great rooftop bar with decent views of the city (10/11 storeys high). There were loads of tiny, but great quality, restaurants in the streets around.
I stayed there on a work trip, very funky hotel and I assume it still has the full sized horse lamp in reception.

Our local host warned us that it was not the best part of the city and to watch out for pickpockets etc.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I stayed there on a work trip, very funky hotel and I assume it still has the full sized horse lamp in reception.

Our local host warned us that it was not the best part of the city and to watch out for pickpockets etc.
I can understand why some people think it's not a good part of town - there are a lot of *brown* people around... :unsure:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Ooh, this is a well timed thread. I'm going to Barcelona for 3 days at the start of October.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If you enjoy reading a bit of “sense of place” fiction to get you in the mood before you travel, I can recommend Barcelona Dreaming by Rupert Thomson….

Attachments

• IMG_9359.jpeg
    IMG_9359.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Everyone was very pleasant (this was only a couple of weeks before the anti-tourist protests) and no pickpockets encountered.

• Barca museum at the Camp Nou is well worth a visit (N.B. that's not where they're playing this season!).
  • Sagrada Familia was interesting to see, but I wouldn't pay to go inside.
  • Parc Guell was good for a wander around for a couple of hours, and great views over the city.
  • Montjuic Castle has some loads of interesting stuff about the history of Barcelona, and you can walk from there to Stadio Olimpico in about 15-20 minutes.
  • Monumental bullring was surprisingly interesting - it's now a concert venue, but still open to wander around and there's a small collection of memorabilia, including 'famous' bulls' heads...
  • Mana 75 is great for Paella (albeit it's not strictly Catalan cuisine...) and it's just near the beach for a postprandial wander / ogle.
Did you not visit that ridiculous church? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here