Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona players on AVERAGE of £4.9 million a year.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Which exceeds the WHOLE of the Albion's wage bill for players, management and support staff.

GSSS-2011-top-12.jpg

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
People moan about the prem but look how many NBA teams are on that list :nono:!

Denver Nuggets are forgiven they have Nene. :kiss:

Nene.jpg

:bowdown:

We'll see what happens next season, when UEFA introduce their new finance legislation
If football clubs where normal business' they would be on the brink of bankruptcy, it seems ridiculous that such levels of debt is acceptable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
but i dont understand, surely only English football has too much spent on players?

@ Newman-seagulls, many "normal" business carry hundreds of millions if not billions of £ of debt, as long as they can finance the debt, they are not bankrupt. UEFAs rules will make a difference for a season or two before they find ways around (bond issues anyone?)

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
At least Barca and Madrid are getting value for money. The same could not be said for Man City or Chelsea (this season) either.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Barca's squad is very small compared to Real Madrid's though, would be interesting to see total wage bills as I'd expect quite a big difference between the two. And as Simster says, most of them are reigning World and European Champions, so if anyone deserves that kind of cash it's the Spanish players

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
tell me about it.
I'm no fan of Chelsea but at least they win trophies and look like credible league title challengers for a good chunk of the season. Man Citeh have just assembled a list of everyone elses expensive cast offs with a crap manager, and will struggle to hold onto 4th place. One FA Cup final appearance in exchange for several million pounds isn't it? Bargain.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We'll see what happens next season, when UEFA introduce their new finance legislation
If football clubs where normal business' they would be on the brink of bankruptcy, it seems ridiculous that such levels of debt is acceptable.

An accountant speaks, I could run rings around the UEFA rules in five minutes. It won't make a blind bit of difference if the clubs are cute.

Interestingly, it well and truly puts paid to the suggestion that the English league is streets ahead of the others in terms of player payment. I assume that this covers the whole of the first team squads at the various teams, but what it doesn't state (at least in the table, maybe the other analysis does) is whether this is net or gross; if it is gross the Spanish teams are even further ahead of their English counterparts due to the favourable tax structure there I believe.

I'm most surprised by the presence of Bayern at 10th on the list, when historically German teams have been run very frugally. I was aware that they'd paid top money to a couple of stars such as Robben and Ribery, but didn't know it was so endemic across the team (unless the wages of those two are so ridiculous that they massively increase the average?).

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
^^^^

I wasn't surprised to see Bayern 10th... mainly because they're 12th.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What is perhaps more surprising is that there are three sports that have higher average attendances than the Premier League, and they are

1: NFL (66,960 ave attendence)
2: Bundesliga (42,499)
3: AUSSIE RULES (38,243)
4. Premiership (34,158)

^^^^

I wasn't surprised to see Bayern 10th... mainly because they're 12th.

:blush: The point still stands though, they are higher than I expected. Higher than (for example) Man United (16th) and AC Milan (14th). Borussia Dortmund, who are walking the Bundesliga title, are down in 86th place.

What is perhaps more surprising is that there are three sports that have higher average attendances than the Premier League, and they are

1: NFL (66,960 ave attendence)
2: Bundesliga (42,499)
3: AUSSIE RULES (38,243)
4. Premiership (34,158)

Yes, Aussie Rules is surprising, but my understanding is that it's been marketed fantastically well in recent years, and has undergone incredible growth to the point where it's on the verge of being regarded as the national sport (ahead of cricket and rugby union). I'm sure Tyrone or another of our Aussie posters would be able to say more.
Of course these attendances also omit amateur sports, as noted in the footnote;

NB: amateur leagues - there are some with higher average attendances than the leagues above, notably and most remarkably in US college football, where, for example, within the 2010 NCCA Division 1 FBS Conference, the 12-team Southeastern Conference (league) averaged 76,719 fans per game, and the Big Ten averaged 72,106, both more than the NFL.

I assume, given the salary caps in US sport, that the differences in average wage across these teams is in fact more reflective of the size of their squads (i.e. a small squad of superstars versus a larger squad of good players) rather than any teams going massively over the cap (and paying the requisite penalties). What would be interesting to see is the relative total wage bills of the various teams.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Aussie Rules always used to be a Victorian (& South Australian) sport, whereas RL ruled in Queensland and NSW. Those lines have been blurred as the Victorian Football League changed it's name to the Australian Football League and then started offering franchises around the country, which effectively marginalised the South Australia Football League (a bit like the football league and the southern league here before the war).

South Australian Aussie rules fans resent this because all the official record books now go back to when the VFL started when there were only Victorian teams in it, so storied South Australian teams don't get the credit they deserve. Incidentally, part of the success of AFL expansion involved some painful decisions. My team (Fitzroy, long story) merged with Brisbane and relocated up there. One or two others have gone by the wayside, and now all the major cities have at least one franchise. Sydney Swans attendances dwarf NRL gates, despite Sydney being a rugby league hotbed.

Oh and looking at all those gates it is worth bearing in mind that there are only 16 teams playing in the AFL, with no promotion or relegation, so all support is spread out over just 16 clubs. And while the NFL has huge gates, they also only have 16 regular season games a year, so only 8 at home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here