Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bar at Falmer Stadium

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Suppose the type of bar or pub you would ordinarily drink in in Brighton (or wherever) was built at Falmer Stadium, would you drink there at times other than on matchdays?

Bearing in mind that a Supporters' Bar is being planned for the Teletubbies Annexe, and that it is about the same distance from Falmer Station as, say, the Duke of Wellington or the Caxton Arms is from Brighton Station, and that some of the coffers would eventually find its way back to the club, would you make a point of stopping off there assuming (a) you were in the vicinity and (b) that it was open every day anyway?

Just curious, like.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Suppose the type of bar or pub you would ordinarily drink in in Brighton (or wherever) was built at Falmer Stadium, would you drink there at times other than on matchdays?

Bearing in mind that a Supporters' Bar is being planned for the Teletubbies Annexe, and that it is about the same distance from Falmer Station as, say, the Duke of Wellington or the Caxton Arms is from Brighton Station, and that some of the coffers would eventually find its way back to the club, would you make a point of stopping off there assuming (a) you were in the vicinity and (b) that it was open every day anyway?

Just curious, like.

I can't help but think back to the pre-SKY days when Glasgow Rangers had a LEGENDARY Social Club. It used to contribute stupid amounts in ye olden days, something like a million quid per season or somesuch, directly into the club, for player signings and the like.

If the Albion are bold enough, there's no reason why such an arrangement couldn't make a massive contribution to the bottom line. But above all it has to be somewhere with decent opening hours, and be somewhere the likes of us are HAPPY to linger. There's a shitload of decent boozers a ten minute train ride away so the club better take this serious. A Sportsman-like enterprise will make a trickle of profit, but a well-thought-out venture would make a MINT.

Fuckit, TLO, I seem to recall you being torn towards opening a bar or a sports clothing shop. You were damned good at one. You'd be QUALA at the other :thumbsup:

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
If it had a good selection of beer, showed Albion away matches (if televised) or England games I would go then.

Wouldnt go there any more than I'd go to The Sportsman on a non match day.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Just curious, like.

I though the annexe had been scrapped? Either way a supporters bar at Falmer would be great!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Not as far as I am aware.

And The Supporters' Bar IS happening, apparently.

I really hope it happens, like someone said in a previous post it could attract loads of students on a day to day basis too. Still no pictures relaesed of the interior though is there?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Only cross-sections of the drawings, as far as I am aware.

I’m assuming that the design for the main reception area, the supporters club and bar ect will evolve during construction. It would be great if the club released pictures soonish but I can’t see it happening. Oh well I suppose I’ve got the widening of Village way to keep me excited for now!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My current abode would probably make it unrealistic to be using a bar at the stadium for social drinking other than on matchdays. If I still lived in Brighton it might be a different matter, though.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If it was large enough, had a decent selection of beer, then I could well be tempted.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
no doubt you will have to be a gold member to have it in a real glass or a ticket stub from halifax away 1958 to obtain a proper knife and fork to eat your pie.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
no doubt you will have to be a gold member to have it in a real glass or a ticket stub from halifax away 1958 to obtain a proper knife and fork to eat your pie.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
i doubt it - unless it can match the ludicrous prices that student bars have to offer

This is true - you have to be a big chain bar with lots of bulk-buying power nowadays to cater for the student market. Students' Union bars are closing up and down the country because they simply cannot afford to compete.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
i doubt it - unless it can match the ludicrous prices that student bars have to offer

I wouldn't be so sure. Most of the cheap bars are often very tacky and boring, and would often find myself going in one of the more expensive pubs in Aber because they are generally a lot nicer.

If they get the decor right, and make it feel like a decent pub, then they could do very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here