Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bannergate: In the cold light of day

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I can't see Pompey bringing a banner with something to do about money on it.

They can't be that stupid, can they?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I think the original poster had this spot on. There's ther germ of a point in here but it dodn't come across and simply made the opposition fans looks like they were having a stab at our new home. Bad move on their part.

Cracking game though. We rode out the first five minutes from a confident team with their tails up and then asserted our class, steadily wearing them down. I loved the way that they stopped chasing in the final 5 minutes. They knew they'd been done.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Was it supposed to be an insult or a compliment? Given the double negative no one was quite sure, but we eventually decided it WAS an insult and responded accordingly. Either way it was a pretty strange subject for a banner; if we were the only team who had ever moved into a new ground and incorporated a sponsor's name into the title I could perhaps understand it, but do they do the same thing at every new ground? I know they're not the brightest in Norfolk but it can't have escaped their attention that with the exception of Sunderland corporate branding is included in the name of every new stadium.

Finally assuming it was meant as an insult (which I don't think has been confirmed yet) I think they could have at least used an actual American Express ad slogan as opposed to using a rival's, something like 'Corporate cash? That'll do nicely!"

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Football is not just a game but also an institution that needs several styles, tactics, atmospheres, inconsistencies, scandals, inaccuracies and injustices to be the life/death heroin we crave.

Yes we have to get rid of some of the vile attributes such as rascim and blatent cheating etc but I don't want to see the game reduced to a souless, boring, rigged, corporate lottery either.

Sometimes you need to go through many years of Archer, groundless, crap ground, planning row hell to get to this season and the Amex - In fact the hell has made the heaven!

Stop being so precious it was just a banner and a poorly planned demo against the corporate side of football. As much as the Amex is fantastic I don't want to completely move to a stadium where you can't say or do ANYTHING without being accused of upsetting someone somewhere in the world.

We need that banner, the Suarez incident, the sex scandals, the insolvencies and the Abrahmovichs and Blooms as well as unfortunately having the tragedies of hillsborough, Bradford and Munich or the game/institution would be reduced to a soulless every weekend Church Fate.

Even our basic game would be ruined if we all played the same style - we need to see and have it all and we need to have clubs going through good times/bad times and we shouldn't forget where we came from and that we can also go back there.

We need football tragedies such as hillsborough & Bradford!? Really, are you serious? Yeah right I can't wait for the next batch of fans to get crushed or burned to death just to keep the game interesting, you surely didn't think that comment through.

Sep 1, 2010
I spoke to Ken Brown after the match and the first point he made when the banner subject came up was that he thought it stirred the crowd up a few notches in our favour.

It just looked like a few idiots making a non point to me. It was not even grammatically correct.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was it supposed to be an insult or a compliment? Given the double negative no one was quite sure, but we eventually decided it WAS an insult and responded accordingly. Either way it was a pretty strange subject for a banner; if we were the only team who had ever moved into a new ground and incorporated a sponsor's name into the title I could perhaps understand it, but do they do the same thing at every new ground? I know they're not the brightest in Norfolk but it can't have escaped their attention that with the exception of Sunderland corporate branding is included in the name of every new stadium.

Finally assuming it was meant as an insult (which I don't think has been confirmed yet) I think they could have at least used an actual American Express ad slogan as opposed to using a rival's, something like 'Corporate cash? That'll do nicely!"

I take it that geography wasn't a strong point.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Are some on here suggesting that the £20m Amex sponsorship goes to AITC projects? Not sure this is true. What makes you think this? As far as I'm aware AITC is funded by grants etc and some of the courses it runs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Are some on here suggesting that the £20m Amex sponsorship goes to AITC projects? Not sure this is true. What makes you think this? As far as I'm aware AITC is funded by grants etc and some of the courses it runs.

I believe so I think the corporate sponsorship of the stadium is club money and AITC is funded entirely as a separate enterprise.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
We need football tragedies such as hillsborough & Bradford!? Really, are you serious? Yeah right I can't wait for the next batch of fans to get crushed or burned to death just to keep the game interesting, you surely didn't think that comment through.

Oh don't be a pratt if you read it and not make your own words up it said and meant "having" the tragedies has created football into the probably the most important thing in most peoples lives.

Sep 1, 2010

Well It does go to AITC and where on earth did you pull the £20m figure from?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I can't see Pompey bringing a banner with something to do about money on it.

They can't be that stupid, can they?
I think their banner is going to say "Thanks for letting us watch the game for £2.40"

Still don't understand what it's meant to mean or what is the point of it

If Ernest can't figure IT out, I doubt any WON will be ABLE to.

Ipswich fellows, who are obviously somewhat embarrassed and befuddled by it, still declare it's us who are getting too hot under the collar and making a big thing about it!
Yeah, of course it's our fault! :wanker:

They also maintain it was 5 or 6 errant Town who made the 'protest' or whatever it's supposed to be.
In my opinion (which is a very important and righteous one), there are MANY more than 6 fans at least in some compliance with that effort.

They deserve a proper going over, and they should take it, without vaseline, and be thankful they aren't playing us again this season.
This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here