Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bangkwang prsion, Bangkok, Thailand. (aka Bangkok Hilton)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Tom Hark said:
The lad was trying to smuggle 3400 ecstasy tablets. Statistically that would have killed absolutely nobody.

I don't know about that. If I took 3400 Es I think I'd be a bit feked!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Tom Hark said:
Don't quit follow your logic brighton_b0y. The lad was trying to smuggle 3400 ecstasy tablets. Statistically that would have killed absolutely nobody. And as it happens (sorry, you weren't to know this but it is relevent) somebody did kill one of my parents; a nineteen year old drunk driver knocked down and killed me dad when I was a teenager. He got six months, which was 'a tad lenient'. Would't have wished a 99 year sentence on him tho.
im really sorry mate about ur dad. But i truely think just because our law is so weak, doesn't mean we should critisise the strictness of others. Yea 99 years for drug smuggling is too long, but im sure that will deter a lot more people than a smuggler being sentenced in this country! but there is nooo way i think 99years is too harsh for a murderer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
caz99 said:
tom not sure your stats on drugs are right.

Well here's some stats from the Drug Enforcement Agency site:

'The death rate for MDMA, assuming that there really were about 60 deaths directly caused by MDMA in 2000, would be roughly 2 in 100,000 users. The death rate from smoking, by contrast, is on the order of 400 per 100,000 users. Even alcohol, America's official "it's not really a drug" drug, nets about 50 deaths per 100,000 users each year'

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Ross its not about how many pills they would kill! he broke the law. Yes maybe harsh but ur not telling me he didn't know the score before hand?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Terrace - this is a fascinating story - at once it is depressing and uplifting. I admire your personal commitment to get involved, and show some compassion and support for someone in desperate need of help.

While I can fully appreciate the politics of this situation - and, on balance, would support lengthy and harsh sentences to act as a deterrent - every case is a personal tragedy for someone (and those who are close to him). Nobody should live without hope.

Thank you for sharing this story with us.

If anyone is interested in the 'risk' element of the drugs in this story... this is a good read:

http://www.drugtext.org/library/articles/newcombe.htm

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
"I'll not go into details on why he did it and what he planned to do with the drugs because that is private, that'll stay between us three forever."

I'll hazard a guess....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I saw that programme and was amazed at how well he appeared to be coping. Whatever the rights or wrongs of what he did, he is now paying for it big time. I felt desperately sorry for this young lad. I really hope he holds it together long enough to get out and rebuild his life.

Just read yesterday's thread about drugs and it become obvious how lightly many young and even not so young consider the risks. Michael probably thought through the money making part better than the personal risk he was taking.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Tom Hark said:
Well here's some stats from the Drug Enforcement Agency site:

'The death rate for MDMA, assuming that there really were about 60 deaths directly caused by MDMA in 2000, would be roughly 2 in 100,000 users. The death rate from smoking, by contrast, is on the order of 400 per 100,000 users. Even alcohol, America's official "it's not really a drug" drug, nets about 50 deaths per 100,000 users each year'

:nono: so your not taking into account everyones different reactions. some peoples bodies just can't take it. IMO i had a bad experience. also we don't know what these tablets were cut with if anything

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
caz99 said:
. IMO i had a bad experience. also we don't know what these tablets were cut with if anything
fuckin hell u a ex drug barron?:glare:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
its not from what i read in the papers and neither should you obviously. its from personal experiences and other people around me. i was just making the point sometimes people have bad reactions and yes most of the time its cos their ill informed about what they should be doing when they take drugs

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Interesting read. I wonder what Terrace Dandy would be writing on NSC if he were reading about an 'asylum seeker' trying to smuggle that many drugs into the UK? ???

Last edited:

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Have little respect for drug smugglers, especially someone who tried to get 3400 pills into Thailand.

It amazes me the people who become so PC and liberal about matters like this - he was handling drugs - irrelevant to how strong they are or not!

It'll be the same people who'll say that burglary is OK because the thief needs the money and obviously 'has issues' than the people who think the smuggler should only serve a short sentence.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
disgruntled h blocker said:
Have little respect for drug smugglers, especially someone who tried to get 3400 pills into Thailand.

It amazes me the people who become so PC and liberal about matters like this - he was handling drugs - irrelevant to how strong they are or not!

It'll be the same people who'll say that burglary is OK because the thief needs the money and obviously 'has issues' than the people who think the smuggler should only serve a short sentence.
:clap:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
disgruntled h blocker said:

ok fair enough have little respect for drug dealers, though the lad is 19 years of age, just a kid really, locking him up for 99 years is not the way to go.

and saying that people who have a liberal attitide on 'matters like this' must also think burglary is ok is basically complete bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here