Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bangkok Hostels

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
Doing some travelling over the next six months and starting in Bangkok in a couple of weeks.

Anyone recommend a decent and cheap hostel in Bangkok?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just head for the Khao San Road (sp?), there are loads of them. Pick the one not offering ladyboy fun with ping-pong ball extras.

mh369

Mar 4, 2009
London
D+D inn on Khao San Road probably the best one but there are plenty of choices. You shouldn't being paying more than 700bt a night

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
D+D inn on Khao San Road probably the best one but there are plenty of choices. You shouldn't being paying more than 700bt a night

Have a look at Hostels Worldwide - Online Bookings, Ratings and Reviews ...i use them a lot and they have a good selection in Bangkok. Two i have tried, with excellent location are : Hi-Sukhamvit (very good) and Bangkok Centre Sukhamvit 25 ( just around the corner from Soy Cowboy!!!) . Wherever you end up, youll have a good time. Hostelworld is good in that you get good reviews, and you only have to leave a small deposit , before paying the total on arrival. HAve fun

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
Thanks fellas, yeh im looking at hostel world at the moment, D+D isn't on there but checked out their website. Also, is 10 days a bit too long to stay in Bangkok? we are ment to be waiting for a mate to arrive before moving on, however tempted to dissapear somewhere nearby and meet him somewhere else, any nearby towns worth visiting?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Lamphu House :thumbsup::thumbsup:

75-77 Rambuttri Rd, Bangkok. T: (02) 629 5861-3 F: (02) 629 5864

Have stayed here about 3 or 4 times, spotlessly clean and set back from the street at the end of an alley, restaurant very good too, films shown throughout the day and every evening.

Here's their website Welcome to Lamphu House

Rambuttri Road is just opposite Khao San Road.

Places to visit near Bangkok, my top 5

1. Sukhothai..... old Thai capital
2. Hua Hin.... 2 hours by bus, a coastal resort that's getting more and more popular
3. Ayutthaya... 2 hours by bus, loads of Temples
4. Damnoen Saduak, worth visiting for The Floating Market, but has eff all else 2 hours
5. Kanchanaburi... for Elephant Trekking and The Bridge on the River Kwai.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
hostelbookers.com is also a good site to use.

What ever you do, do NOT stay at Rainbow Hotel (it has a curry house underneath) staff are nice but manager is a ****! The first time I stayed in there they had no windows in my room, second time I paid a little extra for a window but had a shower, walked out and BRUSHED the sink with my leg and it fell of the wall, pissing water all over the bed where my bag, camera and netbook was, luckily no damage to my stuff but was FORCED to pay £15 to replace the sink.

When I say forced, I was told by a couple of people I had met in the bars that I should just refuse to pay and walk out, I did, got chased, threatened with a beating and threatened with getting the police involved if I refused to pay for the sink.
I did eventually pay as I was due to fly home to following day so bit the bullet and paid so I can get on with enjoying the last night of my travels.

Where else you planning on going?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/thailand/bangkok/48375/

This place is a hotel at hostel prices- rooftop pool is small but great when it's hot. Also cable TV in all rooms. Well worth checking out.

10 days is too long to spend in Bangkok. Definitely check out some nearby places while your waiting for your mate. Shingle's suggestions are all good.

Make sure you go to a Muay Thai (kick boxing) night while you're in Bangkok- the best fights are at Lumphini stadium. Chatuchak Market is also well worth visting.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks fellas, yeh im looking at hostel world at the moment, D+D isn't on there but checked out their website. Also, is 10 days a bit too long to stay in Bangkok? we are ment to be waiting for a mate to arrive before moving on, however tempted to dissapear somewhere nearby and meet him somewhere else, any nearby towns worth visiting?

You can go down to Pattaya for 2-3 nights, it's on the coast and is about 1.5 hours from Bangkok. It's a beach resort city and isn't everyone's cup of tea, as it is so extreme that it manages to make Bangkok look like a monastry. But it is worth seeing at least once in your life time, especially the 'Walking Street' which is where the nightlife is.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
As for staying in Bangkok, it depends what you are after. For going out and having a good time then 10 days is good. If you wanna be touristy then I don't think you need that much.

Go see Chaing Mai or a visit to the Bridge over the river Kwai

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
Thanks everyone, very helpful.

Looks like Kanchanaburi is definately worth a visit, Pattaya is a maybe, looks hardcore!, we are heading to Laos so should hopefuly visit Chaing Mai when we are up North.

Muay Thai is definately on the agenda aswel.

No more albion games left for me this season, back just in time for Falmer and hopefully Championship football!

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON

Looks like Kanchanaburi is definately worth a visit, Pattaya is a maybe, looks hardcore!, we are heading to Laos so should hopefuly visit Chaing Mai when we are up North.

No more albion games left for me this season, back just in time for Falmer and hopefully Championship football!

If you go to Kanchanaburi go and stay at Xanadu. Run by an English guy called Dennis who loves his football and booze; he'll sort everything out for you - he used to play with Dean Thomas of Notts County '91 fame. If you want email details let me know.

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
If you go to Kanchanaburi go and stay at Xanadu. Run by an English guy called Dennis who loves his football and booze; he'll sort everything out for you - he used to play with Dean Thomas of Notts County '91 fame. If you want email details let me know.

Cheers pal, ive taken note of the name. However, at roughly £20 a night it could be above budget.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Love the City of Sin that is Pattaya, properly one of my fav places been 2, i only spent a few days in Bangkok but had fun but properly my least fav out of all.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

If you're heading to Chiang Mai then I'd consider a few days in Pai for total and utter horizontal relaxation.

10 days def too long for Bangkok; I'd recommend popping off to somewhere like Koh Chang for at least half of that.

I'm hoping to go out in March as well - Thailand is just great.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Hui Hin is worth a visit, been there loads of times and the Customer Services of the Dusit Thanni in Hui Hin (just voted best hotel in the world), is a Palace fan, but also a great mate, give him a visit in your Albion shirt, you are sure of a good reception.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with the comment about 10 days being too long (like Vegas in that respect). See a couple of temples, do the markets, get some clothes, go and see a kick-boxing night, not a tourist one, a proper one (superb). Then go somewhere nicer.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
As has been said above, head to the Khao San Rd and you won't go far wrong, plenty of choice. I also treated myself to a luxury hotel for a few nights before flying home which didn't break the bank at all (can't remember exact price but I only went for it because it was ridiculously cheap).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here