Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bands you were SO wrong about....

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Snow Patrol...Started off thinking they were really good but soon realised they're incredibly dull

I saw them in the Prince Albert in the late 90s and they were really good a bit like Mogwai/Radiohead/Longpigs blended together. I then completely forgot about till they came back with their bedwetter sound

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
U2 thought they were brilliant to start. Then disappeared up their own arse and produced same old tired shit again and again.

Same as REM.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Of course I was wrong. I always used to rate them as 9 out of 10, but it's only in the last three years I've come to see they're 11 out of 10.

I think you have missed the point of this thread, it was about bands you originally liked,then disliked, or disliked then liked, not liked then liked them more.

On your misconception of what the thread was,, you won't get better than the Sex Pistols, they just get better everytime you hear them.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Liz Phair.

Exile in Guyville a superb album, Whipsmart not bad, then she completely sold her soul.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The Cure. Only songs of theirs I heard when I was growing up was 'The Lovecats' and 'Friday I'm in Love' and so always thought they were a shit band. Then, a few weeks ago, I heard 'disintegration' .:ohmy: What a bloody brilliant album that is!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I used to love "The Cars" and "Midnight Oil" until I realised recently, (Having re-purchased some classic presses of both) that, in actuality, The Cars have nothing to say really and Midnight Oil are a bunch of Abbo Loving planks.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I really liked Noah and The Whale at first, they had a couple of good songs and a good style and sound. Trouble is, apart from the singles, everything else is absolute wrist-slitting dirge.

Good call. New cd makes Nick Cave/Morrissey seem jolly!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I used to love "The Cars" and "Midnight Oil" until I realised recently, (Having re-purchased some classic presses of both) that, in actuality, The Cars have nothing to say really and Midnight Oil are a bunch of Abbo Loving planks.
serious question, why does a band always have to have "something to say" to be taken seriously or before someone admits to liking them ? Why do " serious" music fans seem to make this distinction between bands that play catchy tunes that are good to listen to and bands with "something to say " ?

I bought a CD by a band called VAST.
It was really good, loved the music - electronic combined with a heavy goth/psych leaning.

Saw them live in LA and the main bloke was a right twat. He kapt blaming the audience for not enough applause...despite the fact people WERE applauding. He got on the backs of his musicians, which I suspect were not on the album (I think he did most of it on his own, then hired a road band).
He ruined a potentially decent live show, lost the audience - and the band I would imagine!

To top it all I just spotted a more recent CD by him/them, and one track was called "I Woke Up L.A." !
Wanker, he sent us to sleep.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Backstreet Boys - and I'm not joking, their greatest hits album is always on my iPod. "Larger than Life" is an anthem

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmfsxdst_I4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmfsxdst_I4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didn't care too much for Dire Staits until I saw them on Live Aid. Thought they were great after that performance!

Conversely, As someone has already mentioned. I used to really rate REM (Automatic for the People) but they have gone downhill (IMO) in recent years.

I bought a CD by a band called VAST.
It was really good, loved the music - electronic combined with a heavy goth/psych leaning.

Saw them live in LA and the main bloke was a right twat. He kapt blaming the audience for not enough applause...despite the fact people WERE applauding. He got on the backs of his musicians, which I suspect were not on the album (I think he did most of it on his own, then hired a road band).
He ruined a potentially decent live show, lost the audience - and the band I would imagine!

To top it all I just spotted a more recent CD by him/them, and one track was called "I Woke Up L.A." !
Wanker, he sent us to sleep.

Heheh, I found the myspace page for the VAST bloke and sent him the above, edited out and pasted to him.
I'll have to watch for a reply - but I paid good money for the ticket and the CD, so he can do one if he don't like it :tantrum:

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I'm starting to realise that Green Day are an amazing band, after years and years of ignoring them.

On the other side of the coin, I thought the Sterophonics were brilliant at first but they have gone off the boil big-time since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here