Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bands You Saw Before They Were Really Famous

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
David Bowie supporting The Groundhogs at the Dome 1971 - Post "Laughing Gnome" & "Space Oddity" but before his Glam rock incarnations.:safeway2:

Hmmm, how did he go down with the audience - wouldn't have thought too well?

Saw Scritti Politti (in banging dustbin lids mode), The Fall, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Teardrop Explodes and The Only Ones back in 1979 at the Leeds Futurama in the truly awful Queens Hall, probably the wierdest 'festival' I have ever been to. Audience was half punk/half hippy - latter were there as the headlining act was the mighty Hawkwind.....

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I (along with about 12 others) saw the Jam supporting Little Bob Storey (French punk band) at Crawley Town Hall - I was very impressed.

Dire Straits at Nelson's Club (at Plough Lane, ex home of Wimbledon FC).

Probably a few others also, but it can take a while to dig the memories up.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Saw Blur live at Sussex Uni just after they released their first album and have been a massive fan ever since. Still got the T Shirt from their show at the Top Rank the following year

colinpants

IT CONSULTANT
Jan 24, 2005
simply red supporting UB40 at the the centre about 25 years ago

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Blink-182 at the Highbury Garage

Kaiser Chiefs first as their previous incarnation, Parva, in Manchester, and then as KC at some dive in London, just after 'Oh my God' was released.

Snow Patrol the friday before 'Run' came out, at Moles in Bath. I'm willing to bet they've not played a smaller gig since that night!

Young Knives (although they aren't particularly famous now!), in Oxford about 8 years ago, and again in Bath just before they became 'cool' and 'famous'. In Bath they were ably supported by the Rumble Strips (another almost-famous band).

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I saw REM support U2 at Milton Keynes in 1985.

Oasis on the NME stage at Glastonbury, left after a few songs to go and see James on the Main Stage.

The Levellers at the Richmond in Brighton in September 1989. My mates sister was going out with Jon the fiddle player and we went along having never heard of them. The first album "A Weapon Called The Word" was not released until the following year.

The Beatles - At Maney Youth Club, Sutton Coldfield. Just after Please Please Me was released.

And we had Carl Wayne and the Vikings play at a school dance - before they transmogrified into The Move.

When I was a student, I shared a flat with a guy who ran Sussex University Folk Club. One night, the performer he had booked failed to turn up, but sent along a couple of mates who offered to step in as substitutes. They were a new duo called The Incredible String Band, who did the gig for £10.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
REM backing up U2 (or was it the Simple Minds) yonks ago at Milton Keynes Bowl.

No, 'twas U2. The Ramones and Spear of Destiny were there too.

UB40 supporting the Pretenders (I think) at the Top Rank a week before their first single hit the charts.

Saw them at the Hammersmith Palais on the same tour.

Saw New Order's third or fourth ever gig, at the Art College Basement in Grand Parade.

It was Jenkinson's, March 1981.

I also saw the very early Human League (long before the two women vocalists joined) get canned off stage when they were supporting Siouxsie and the Banshees at Leeds University.

They were good when I saw them support the Banshees at the Rainbow. Coincidentally it was probably the last gig at the Rainbow that had 'seating', as the first 15 rows of the stalls got trashed and ended up in a woodpile on the stage...

I hired a comedian for my 30th birthday party. £100.Paul Merton.

Saw him supporting Julian Clary - then still known as The Joan Collins Fanclub - circa 1986(?)

Peteinblack, was that New Order gig at the Basement? I was there but couldn't see them.

No, it was defintely Jenkinsons.

Saw The Pack support Skids at the Lyceum. They later changed their name to Theatre of Hate.

Saw U2 support Talking Heads in 1980
Altered Images support U2 in 1981
The Alarm support U2 in 1981
Depeche Mode support Psychedelic Furs in 1981
The Beat supporting Teardrop Explodes, supporting The Human League in 1979, when they themselves were still unfamous...

Oh, and for what it's worth Def Leppard supporting AC/DC in 1979 with a two-armed drummer. They were shit. As were Saxon supporting Motorhead the same year.

Last edited:

Oh, and for what it's worth Def Leppard supporting AC/DC in 1979 with a two-armed drummer. They were shit.
A couple of years back, the eldest of the junior generation of Bracknells worked the Def Leppard video show that accompanied their stadium tour of the US and Canada. I guess he had to endure about sixty performances.

If his account is to be believed ... they're still shit.

pigin stripes

Jul 18, 2003
Hove
U2 at Sussex Uni, Genesis at the Top House in Burgess Hill, Inxs several times with Queen, Annie Lennox with the Tourists at the Top Rank.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Republica were the warm up act for a Fun Lovin' Criminals gig at The Event. I am not sure if Republica count as REALLY famous.

But their single 'Drop Dead Gorgeous' was superb, with a really rousing chorus.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The Jam at the Top Rank in 77 I think it was.
The mighty Level 42, also at the Top Rank.

The Piranhas at the Bucaneer! (Come on, they're massive! They play their bloody song at all shitty Prem & Championship games when they score a goal!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here