Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bands you are told are "The Next Big Thing" but aren't

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I saw them play downstairs at the Komedia (a gig for which I could not get rid of my spare ticket for free!) and they were a different band.

That gig was ridiculous. Only 8 quid or something weren't it. Their albums were far too clean and lacked the edge that the demos have which is a real shame. I still think they are decent though.

Maximo Park are GREAT.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Artic fire (only had one decent song).

Haha who are artic fire? I really hope you don't mean Arcade Fire, a very hyped (but correctly so) band whose first album Funeral is packed with tune after tune.

For fans of Talking Heads, Interpol.

Mar 13, 2008
never liked them, but 'the darkness' were always rammed down our throats as being the FUTURE OF ROCK
The darkness were never serious. They were a joke band and there were very good if you listened to them with that in mind.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Haha who are artic fire? I really hope you don't mean Arcade Fire, a very hyped (but correctly so) band whose first album Funeral is packed with tune after tune.

For fans of Talking Heads, Interpol.

I f***ing love the arcarde fire. I actually prefer the second album but I seem to be in a small minority there...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hermans hermits

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I f***ing love the arcarde fire. I actually prefer the second album but I seem to be in a small minority there...

They don't really fit into this thread, because they are MASSIVE now.

You fit neatly into that minority with my brother (Chesney Christ). I tell him he's wrong at least once a day. I like the second album but the production is just SO messy compared to the first.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The darkness were never serious. They were a joke band and there were very good if you listened to them with that in mind.

Quite. They annoyed me at first but then I "got it" and was able to enjoy them.

Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End) is a great Christmas song, because it comes from a band who have no integrity in the first place, so a Christmas song does not harm their credibility in any way.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Imagine my disapointment when I found out they were complete crap and were a very poor 2nd to Maximo Park who blew everyone away.
To be fair, Maxïmo Park are one of the best live acts going. I've only seen the once but have a couple of mates who've seen them several times (the sort of people who spend all their money going to gigs) and tell me they're always absolute QUALLA.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sigue Sigue Sputnik

You know what? I really wanted them to succeed. Love missile F1-11 blew me away when I heard it. Years ahead of it's time with the fusion of sampling and big guitar riffs. It hasn't dated too much. Martin Degville and Tony James also had some great outfits.

Agree with el pres about Gay Dad and menswear. Piss poor stuff. Suede were the real deal in my opinion.

I'd like to add keane, travis and coldplay to the list.

Arctic Monkeys I don't get. Likewise bloc party. Razorlight, kasabian, the twang ( used to like them but gone right off them)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Scotish band? If so i've got a few of their albums and think they were pretty good.

Also the Dogs Die in Hot Cars album is brilliant!

Both not around anymore though.

seconded. Dogs die in hot cars album was a highlight of 2005(?)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Scotish band? If so i've got a few of their albums and think they were pretty good.

Yep, there was loads of hype around them but the biggest place I ever saw them play was the Pavilion Theatre supported by sixbyseven.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Robbie Williams ?:shrug:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Yep, there was loads of hype around them but the biggest place I ever saw them play was the Pavilion Theatre supported by sixbyseven.

I saw them at the free butt and they were pretty good live. Liked them but they never even got close to living up to their hype.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here