Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bands you are told are "The Next Big Thing" but aren't

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was thinking about all these bands and singers the hype tells you are going supernova and when you listen or see them they are shite. I went to the NME tour a couple of years ago and the Arctic Monkeys were one of the acts. Between buying the tickets and actually going the Monkeys blasted their way to the top of the downloads chart.. I thought that it was dead lucky that I had a ticket and was going to be one up on my daughter, amongst others.

Imagine my disapointment when I found out they were complete crap and were a very poor 2nd to Maximo Park who blew everyone away.

anyone else had similar disappointments ?... I thought Glasvegas were going to be good to listen to but they seem crap too.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Does anyone remember the Roaring Boys from the mid 1980's, they recived one of the largest, at the time, advances for the record company before going down like the Belgrano?

I've got a feeling Keith Michel's (Captain Beaky, Henry VII etc) son was the lead singer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nope, never heard of them

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
All the savage's that win popstar and all that crap.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was thinking about all these bands and singers the hype tells you are going supernova and when you listen or see them they are shite. I went to the NME tour a couple of years ago and the Arctic Monkeys were one of the acts. Between buying the tickets and actually going the Monkeys blasted their way to the top of the downloads chart.. I thought that it was dead lucky that I had a ticket and was going to be one up on my daughter, amongst others.

Imagine my disapointment when I found out they were complete crap and were a very poor 2nd to Maximo Park who blew everyone away.

anyone else had similar disappointments ?... I thought Glasvegas were going to be good to listen to but they seem crap too.:rolleyes:

There is no 'great' new groovy sounds out there daddio, just accept it. Its all been done before, and better.
Christ......... even your Belle and Sebastien make Coldplay sound half decent.

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2003
ps- i f***ing LOVED the arctic monkeys demo stuff and that, and even their albums were better than most other mainstream indie bands these DAYS

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Gay Dad
Menswear

Fair play on that - two utterly promising bands who never evolved beyond their beginnings.

I loved the Arctic Monkeys promos, which I was given on an album years ago along with Maximo Park and Babyshambles, and I actually think their recorded stuff has never matched up to it. Why some idiot told Alex Turner to drop the northern accent I will never understand. I saw them play downstairs at the Komedia (a gig for which I could not get rid of my spare ticket for free!) and they were a different band.

Mine is probably The Fratellis, although I'm sure there are better examples if I had a memory. Saw them at the Concorde and thought they were the shizzle, but they've turned into a crock of lager-lad-music shite.

Seagull Stew

BIS!

Back in 1995-96 I was working at a small live band venue and the manager of the club had the opportunity of booking either Bis or Super Furry Animals to play live. I begged him to book SFA on the basis of having heard their forthcoming debut single "Hometown Unicorn".

Unfortunately Bis were the NME darlings that week and were going to take over the WORLD! Needless to sat it was Bis that were given the gig.

:rolleyes:

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Suede

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Some of the bands mentioned above clearly were successful. Anyway, the three bands that jumped to my mind were hailed as the next big thing by radio 1 a few years ago, especially by Jo Whiley, but never made it big, they were:

Dogs die in hot cars;
Get cape, wear cape, fly;
and
Artic fire (only had one decent song).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here