• Yes

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 42 54.5%

• Total voters

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I see that the Lancet has just annouced that it thinks that smoking should be banned. What a ridiculous idea !

I'm an exsmoker and it would be hypocritical of me to complain about smoking although a lot of ex-smokers become zealots to the anti smoking cause. The whole idea is crazy as the loss in tax revenue alone would severely damage the budget.

You only have to look at what happened in America when they banned alcohol, it caused far more crime tan it prevent and indeed effectively created the Mafia who still (in one guise or another), control large parts of the US.

If we want to ban smoking then we'd better ban drink, ban a lot of sport, ban driving, ban a whole host of things that can harm your health. I have no problem with segregating smokers from non smokers and also banning from confined spaces. But, as far as banning it completely, no way.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I smoke and I don't think it should be bannned, although I don't think you should be able to smoke in restaurants, or where others are enjoying food.
I also wish I could give up, I hate being a smoker!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm a non-smoker and one of the worst things is going into pubs like the PPT where almost everyone smokes. I come home smelling like an old ashtray.

But I NEVER want to see it banned. Smoke free pubs and resturants are great and I'm really pleased that they don't allow smoking in places like trains or cinemas any more. But a blanket ban is the Nanny State at it's very worst. If you want to fill your lungs with shit at home or in designated pubs or resturants or even outdoors - be my guest. Thank you for paying all that tax.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Ex-smoker here who is now allergic to cigarette smoke. My girlfriend makes no effort to not smoke despite knowing that she is responsible for my continual coughing and an outright ban would enable me to breathe again in the evenings,

It will never happen though-too much of society relies on tobacco taxes. I wish they could find a way to do it though, not because I've become a self righteous anti-smoking zealot but because I'm fed up choking on smoke every night. Probaly easier to find a new girlfriend who is a non-smoker:(

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I smoke and i would love to see it banned !! odd though it sounds, I hate smokey pubs and smelling of smoke in the morning !!, but i doo love the odd puff !!!

gonna give up (again) at christmas !

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The odd puff ? Careful here Redland !

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I think it should be banned,the old bill are banning every else!

1) no-one seems to enjoy smoking
2) i dont like it
3) it does no good+just makes the chance of illness higher.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Another ex smoker (only 3 months though) who would not agree to smoking being banned. The taxes raised must be a sizeable proportion of the National Health budget. Which also pisses me off, those that contribute the most(in taxes) are the ones, who many, do not want to be treated because they "brought it upon themselves"

Isn't living and breathing London air the equivalent of smoking 40 a day?

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
it shouldnt be banned . . . .it goes against all civil liberty arguments IMHO.

as for the health aspect, I know its bad, so dont remind me thanks, I pay shed loads of tax which should more than cover it.

I did give up for 18 months, then slacked into it again, I intend to give up again next year just because its so bloody expensive, I do love a smoke with coffee and liquer after a top nosh up. and the odd Jazz woodbine playing cards :p

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
According to F.O.R.E.S.T. (the pro smoking lobby) the revenue from tobacco tax puts more money into the exchequer than the NHS takes out to treat smoking related illness. If that's true or not I have no idea.

However, I read somewhere that charity parachute jumps cost the NHS far more for treating injuries incurred than the jumps make for charity. Why not ban them for a start ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:
According to F.O.R.E.S.T. (the pro smoking lobby) the revenue from tobacco tax puts more money into the exchequer than the NHS takes out to treat smoking related illness. If that's true or not I have no idea.

However, I read somewhere that charity parachute jumps cost the NHS far more for treating injuries incurred than the jumps make for charity. Why not ban them for a start ?

It's true that smoking does generate FAR more revenue for the NHS than it uses to treat smoking related illnesses.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I stopped smoking 12 years ago and I'm really glad I am free of it.

But I wouldn't ban it. I think it would drive it underground and cause a black market.

It has been proved that nicotine addiction is as strong as heroin addicition and more should be done to prevent kids from starting.

I agree with pubs and restaurants that want to be smoke free so that people can have a choice, but it should be voluntary.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I vote yes, here in ireland smoking will be banned in any place of work and that includes pubs and restaurants. Smokers choose to smoke but non smokers don't get the choice to breathe clean air or not in these establishments

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I had a slightly odd situation a few years ago, I was doing a roll-out (installing new equipment to non IT posters) for British American Tobacco's new head office by the Tames near Charing Cross.

Apart from the fact they had MASSIVE airconditioning to protect the vast number of non smokers that worked there (could hardly bad smoking in the office could they ?) it was also strange to sign in at reception and to be offered a cigarette !

As somebody mentioned earlier in the week yes, it used to annoy me when smokers slid off for a quick ciggy (as they had to go outside). Non smokers have to work harder to compensate. Maybe I should have nipped off for a fart break or something.

To ban it outright would be ridiculous. However I do get pretty fed up of seeing organisations such as FOREST bleating about their rights and the health fascists on the march. What about my rights as non smoker to clean air, and smoke free clothes and hair.

I'm afraid i'm a bit of anti smoking zealot when it comes to pubs. I find it disgusting and I am sick of not being able to enjoy a nice drink without my clothes and hair absolutely stinking like an ashtray.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Time to mention again my handy tip for getting rid of smoke smells on clothes (if you don't want to wash them or they're dry-clean only).

Hang them up in the bathroom while you have a shower. The steam takes the smells away.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It's all about freedom of choice.

If I go into a cafe or restaurant then I choose the non smoking section.

If I want to be with friends that smoke then I know I am going into that sort of atmosphere and choose to do so.

I don't have the right to moan about it because I have chosen to put myself there.

Lush, that tip worked wonders, thanks.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
i don't smoke ,but when i walk around town breathing it in it makes my chest hurt

there answers your question!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here