Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ballet, Opera, or Football.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Been to Ballet twice a year when the touring Russian or Siberian ballets visit Swindon ( obviously not this year).
There is no dressing up in black tie it’s just semi formal.
It’s great to hear a live orchestra and see live artists on stage.

Don’t knock it until u have tried it.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
How on earth did you get a free ticket to Glyndebourne? I used to review opera for the Argus and got free tickets every year ... until Glyndebourne decided that the Argus wasn't classy enough and stopped giving them.

I was given a free ticket to Glyndebourne once but I was given it on the day unexpectedly so I wasn't remotely appropriately dressed for it.

It was for the premier of Harrison Birtwistle's "The Second Mrs Kong". I was visiting a friend who knew Birtwistle and he told me that Birtwistle had given him a couple of tickets for that evening's performance so I could go too if I wanted. I didn't have anything else planned so I thought why not.

For some reason I was dressed particularly scruffily that day in ripped jeans and tshirt and when we turned up, because it was the premier everyone was wearing full evening dress, dinner jackets, tails etc. I stuck out like a sore thumb and I was getting quite a few looks of disapproval.

But then at the interval we met up with Birtwistle in the foyer and we were chatting merrily away in full view of everyone, which I quite enjoyed as suddenly the tables were turned and I was no longer looked upon as some kind of scruffy parvenu.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here