Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ball boys

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's obviously passed me by.

In short, snappy sentences - why have we only only won the division and championship of the world due to ball boy shenanigans? Why do those chaps from along the coast think that?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Christ. Where did they say/think that? Twitter?
Adkins said it in the video interview on Thursday. Apparently "everyone knows" about our ball boys and how they give us some massive advantage at Withdean. Bizarre.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
perhaps then run on the pitch when no one is looking and say mean things to the opposition to put them off.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I heard him say that in the interview too and watched our ball boys closely yesterday. They certainly got the ball back to our players quicker than they did for Southampton. To the point at the end where their keeper let rip at the lad behind the goal towards the end of the second half. However, at this point we were 2-1 down and the ball boys NEEDED to get the ball to the keeper to get on with the game but he didn't. I think the keeper was making that point that this "plan" was now backfiring. And clearly the ball boy didn't have the authority to change the plan.

Having watched this it did seem that we do get the ball back to the oppo more slowly and also that we arn't able to change this plan when we are behind. But then again, I expect most teams do this.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think you'll find that yesterday the problem was exaggerated as a response to Adkins' comments. It's not been like that in front of me this season - they get the ball back the same for both sides. Annoyingly quickly sometimes.

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
I don't know if it has been happening all season or not, but Adkins said it to draw attention to it just before the game. It is the sort of thing I would expect any savvy manager to do really. Then I witnessed it first hand during the game. Fair play if it gives you a home advantage - there is nothing in the rules against it. My only concern is that it puts a fair amount of stress and pressure on the lads. I don't think youngsters should be put in a position where they get abused by fans (or players) for doing what they are told....and then get stick if it backfires.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Could try the Everton way, I think it was Everton anyway, on Soccer AM a few years ago, they go multi ball, but when they go 1-0 up, they go to single ball. Quite cheeky, and funny when I watched it.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I know both the main ballboys behind the goal.

One's a c*nt and the other is very nice.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Andy Crosby seemed to have a running battle with the fourth official over whether Saints could have their own ball and keep it in the away dug out.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What was that game at Withdean when the goalie kept a spare football under his shirt while the match was in play?

hypochondriac

Apr 24, 2011
If that's what you want to do then fair enough. It's not something I particularly like in football in general but it's within the rules, although some may say it is against the spirit of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here