Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Baldock

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
His brother is club doctor at Oxford United and Sam was taking steps to involve himself in the other side of the club before he retired.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We do love to give jobs to the old boys at Brighton don't we? Not my favourite practice of the club's if I'm honest - feels like we're constantly trying to shoehorn ex-players into roles where there might be more appropriate external candidates.

I guess we can only trust that the powers that be know what they're doing. Gordon must have come into the same role with no discernable experience in managing youth loans either.
Nope nor mine. Why do so many people assume that ex Albion players would be good coaches, or be able to fill any role at the club?

Acting out of sentiment isn't an option, we simply need to select the best men for the position, whatever their background may be.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nope nor mine. Why do so many people assume that ex Albion players would be good coaches, or be able to fill any role at the club?

Acting out of sentiment isn't an option, we simply need to select the best men for the position, whatever their background may be.
Several of them have done/are doing their badges whilst at the club (Lallana, Steele, Groß for example) so ‘the management’ have a great opportunity to see how they are shaping up…….presumably helps with any decision to offer a role.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
We do love to give jobs to the old boys at Brighton don't we? Not my favourite practice of the club's if I'm honest - feels like we're constantly trying to shoehorn ex-players into roles where there might be more appropriate external candidates.

I guess we can only trust that the powers that be know what they're doing. Gordon must have come into the same role with no discernable experience in managing youth loans either.

The loans manager is only really a role that has existed in football for the last few years. There aren't that many people experienced in that specific role.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cant see loans manager is a job that needs great experience. coordinate updates with clubs, some mentoring, having desire to help nurture young players remotely is the important part.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Surely some sort of inter-club negotiation, network building, people management aspects? Maybe language skills if we're talking about foreign loans.

These are all fairly soft skills that can be learned but it takes time for someone moving from playing to back of house administrative stuff. At least with coaching, you're building on the previous skills of playing and watching the managers you've worked with for 15 years or so.

I'm not saying Baldock can't do it, just seems odd to me that this is a role that it is thought of as the first step into football business for ex-players.

cant see loans manager is a job that needs great experience. coordinate updates with clubs, some mentoring, having desire to help nurture young players remotely is the important part.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here