Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I like Baldock. The team isn't set up to play to his strengths this year but he offers willing running, good link up and pace in behind - something none of our other strikers do yet it keeps defenses occupied.

Could he be upgraded? Of course. But I suspect the team structure (which is getting us a lot of points at present!) is the main reasons he isn't scoring a lot of goals rather than his actual ability.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The reason I can see it being a loan is that I believe we could loan a better player than we could afford to buy. An example of this was Darren Bent we couldnt have bought him with a fee and wages etc. I know there is talk of this Calleri for £6.5m but on a recent website it said Chelsea Stoke and Inter Milan considering a bid for him. I think our chance of getting him has gone and we may be looking at another option in the same area of the world.
Realistically I cannot see us spending money like Burnley have on Gray. I believe, right or wrong, that TB put all his eggs in 1 basket with Gus and caught a cold so will be reluctant to do it again.
We invested more this summer than we ever did whilst Gus was here according to PB.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I like Baldock. The team isn't set up to play to his strengths this year...

Haha. That's exactly the line people tried to defend his (non)scoring record with LAST season.

"Judge him when he gets to play as one of two up front" they said.

Well he has all season, and he's scored two goals (one of which was actually an own goal)...

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Haha. That's exactly the line people tried to defend his (non)scoring record with LAST season.

Well he has all season, and he's scored two goals (one of which was actually an own goal)...

I do like Sam Baldock, and he fits into a really nice front two alongside Hemed, and if he just upped his goal tally it would be perfect.

One thing I have to say is that every Jamie Murphy goal should really have been scored by Baldock. At Bolton, Baldock was on the edge of the box running in when Murphy tapped home, when really I would have thought it would be Baldock making that run.

And the same again when Murphy was the one at the far post at the Mad Stad for Hemed to sweat it across to, not Baldock. (Although he did play a nice one-two with Hemed, so I suppose he was more involved in the attack for this one)

Then this Saturday when Baldock was the one on the edge of the box to slide a ball through to Murphy to bundle it in the near post. They seem to be in opposite places.

I like Baldock, and I'll never have a go at one of our players for their football ability, but I would like him to make more/better runs that Murphy seems to make.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I do like Sam Baldock, and he fits into a really nice front two alongside Hemed, and if he just upped his goal tally it would be perfect.

One thing I have to say is that every Jamie Murphy goal should really have been scored by Baldock. At Bolton, Baldock was on the edge of the box running in when Murphy tapped home, when really I would have thought it would be Baldock making that run. And the same again when Murphy was the one at the far post at the Mad Stad for Hemed to sweat it across to, not Baldock. And again this Saturday when Baldock was the one on the edge of the box to slide a ball through to Murphy to bundle it in the near post. They seem to be in opposite places.

I like Baldock, and I'll never have a go at one of our players for their football ability, but I would like him to make more/better runs that Murphy seems to make.

I too like Baldock, and think this is a good post.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I always liked Gary Hart as a player, didn't mean he was a Championship striker capable of scoring plenty of goals. Gary Hart in his pomp would have more than goals by now than Baldock has.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I always liked Gary Hart as a player, didn't mean he was a Championship striker capable of scoring plenty of goals. Gary Hart in his pomp would have more than goals by now than Baldock has.
But we would probably have less points.
Sam has caused utter chaos with his excellent running and dribbling this season.
His impact and contribution should not be underrated.
If he is out, we will miss him.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

Nailed it - he's not scoring goals which is ultimately what he will be judged on - we need to replace him in January if this drought continues

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Nailed it - he's not scoring goals which is ultimately what he will be judged on - we need to replace him in January if this drought continues
No we don't.
He's playing really well and creating lots of chances.
Most of which Hemed is missing.
Been exceptional this season so far.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

One thing I have to say is that every Jamie Murphy goal should really have been scored by Baldock. At Bolton, Baldock was on the edge of the box running in when Murphy tapped home, when really I would have thought it would be Baldock making that run.

And the same again when Murphy was the one at the far post at the Mad Stad for Hemed to sweat it across to, not Baldock. (Although he did play a nice one-two with Hemed, so I suppose he was more involved in the attack for this one)

Then this Saturday when Baldock was the one on the edge of the box to slide a ball through to Murphy to bundle it in the near post. They seem to be in opposite places.

Maybe Murphy should be playing up front with Hemed whilst Baldock is injured, especially if Lualua is coming back?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here